"Was you knockin' on my door?!" Daily Rant

Marne Vet

Why is it called a "trip" where you are Marne Vet, that doesn't make any sense. I know you can't answer that, I'm asking rhetorically. The definition of the word "trip" is totally different to "route", which is in fact what we are bidding on, routes. Why not just call your route a "vacation" or a "journey". Same with floater. I think your center is the only one in the country to use these terms. It's "cover driver" everywhere else.

No, it's not. I can tell you there are 4 Hubs in this area and they all call them trips. We'll call it what we've always called it, and we'll note your opinion in our Doesn't Give A :censored2: Folder. It is what it is. As far as floaters go, on the paper we sign for our trips, there are three "floater" bids. They're called floaters. Just the way it is.

As for the other topic, the way people speak in "the hood". We all know it's a cultural act.

Not saying we all need to speak similarly but the reality is that most African-Americans continue to have a distinct dialect, white's their own, and so on. Even though we all live among each other. People talk the way they choose to talk. Some African Americans talk without the common dialect, particularly those in professional positions. Then you have Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson who clearly exaggerate their dialect. It's an act. Just as an overly flamboyant gay man exaggerates the way he talks. It's all an act. Funny how their speech completely changes the day they "come out".

Yes, there are legitimate accents, and then their are cultural dialects that are consciously exaggerated. Those in the hood are among them. If they chose to not speak or act the way they do, they could drag themselves out of the hood with a decent job. That's right, I said it.

If you have a problem with this post, too bad.

Why did you assume I worked in a predominantly African American neighborhood because I referred to it as "the hood"? I never said what the predominant race was in any of my posts, but I did say that I live nearby, and grew-up around here. I'm a white 3rd generation Irish kid. It's predominantly Caucasian and Hispanic. It's more ignorance, then a cultural dialect thing.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We call our routes three different things. It all just depends on what comes out of your mouth when talking about it. We use the words "route", "run" and "trip". All are interchangeable here.

Of course, once I started hanging out here I learned (or had to decipher) many of some of your other terms around the country. I never heard of "booking out" until I came here. In our building we just say "calling off". All the different names and differences for "cover drivers" is mind boggling. Like, why isn't it the same everywhere??!! Here we have part-time cover drivers. Other places all drivers, be it cover or bid, are all full time. Then there are some that are TCD (temporary). I understand it's all supplemental, but why?

JL 0513

No, it's not. I can tell you there are 4 Hubs in this area and they all call them trips. We'll call it what we've always called it, and we'll note your opinion in our Doesn't Give A :censored2: Folder. It is what it is. As far as floaters go, on the paper we sign for our trips, there are three "floater" bids. They're called floaters. Just the way it is.

Why did you assume I worked in a predominantly African American neighborhood because I referred to it as "the hood"? I never said what the predominant race was in any of my posts, but I did say that I live nearby, and grew-up around here. I'm a white 3rd generation Irish kid. It's predominantly Caucasian and Hispanic. It's more ignorance, then a cultural dialect thing.

I never assumed you worked in an African American area. I cited a few different dialect examples. There are indeed white "hoods". I was just talking about how I feel people talk in sometimes exaggerated manners. And that it's purposeful.

Marne Vet

We call our routes three different things. It all just depends on what comes out of your mouth when talking about it. We use the words "route", "run" and "trip". All are interchangeable here.

Of course, once I started hanging out here I learned (or had to decipher) many of some of your other terms around the country. I never heard of "booking out" until I came here. In our building we just say "calling off". All the different names and differences for "cover drivers" is mind boggling. Like, why isn't it the same everywhere??!! Here we have part-time cover drivers. Other places all drivers, be it cover or bid, are all full time. Then there are some that are TCD (temporary). I understand it's all supplemental, but why?

Yeah, [here] if you call out sick, you "called out". A familiar overheard phrase heard every morning is "Hey, you have to cover [X]'s trip because he called out." Never heard "booking out" until just now.

Marne Vet

I never assumed you worked in an African American area. I cited a few different dialect examples. There are indeed white "hoods". I was just talking about how I feel people talk in sometimes exaggerated manners. And that it's purposeful.

I wish they were just puttin' it on most of the time, but sadly it's not the case. Some of the notes I get left for me are like a 5 y/o wrote them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had never heard the terms "booking off" and "trip" until I came here. We use the terms "banging in" or "calling in" along with "route" or "run". You can't "book off" and then "book in" where I work.

gingerkat

Nah, you're just a ****.
Seriously? When people say use your words, I don't think this was it.

How many of us get our stuff censored? You are causing a big rift here dude! clean it up or the mod squad will come a running!

Last edited by a moderator:

HomeDelivery

what marne vet states on his threads are mostly true for almost every driver, brown, purple, or post office :grouphug:... if not, you haven't been a courier long enough

he should have a blog site (the old cafe used to have that option) I also spouted a few good threads when i first arrived on this site as well... ie Detergent Pee Bottle, and asking customers to either mark your mailbox or i'll use my marker to mark it for them!

but, i dunno how he has the time to post in the middle of the day :yapyapyapf:

as for me, LWOP, working on other types of income (ebay / craigslist selling, following what my day-trader is doing, looking for a new job, etc)

gingerkat

On one of my forums that I'm a moderator, one guy has his own area called "Tales from Tookies Corner". Maybe Marne can have his own sub forum?

Marne Vet

Seriously? When people say use your words, I don't think this was it.

How many of us get our stuff censored? You are causing a big rift here dude! clean it up or the mod squad will come a running!

Mind yourself, and not what I do or don't do. The guy's an a-hole. Let the mods handle it if these big bad words are hurting feelings. I'll buy him a pack of meat wallet pads to ease the pain.

No, I didn't say or imply that. What I said is that I won't accept the excuse that because someone is poor is the reason they're ignorant. That's unacceptable, and an apologist approach to this section of society. I see poor people every day. I mean, really poor. No door on their homes poor, in these freezing temps. Some of them homeschool their kids, and many of them are very intelligent, and articulate a conversation like they're reading a teleprompter. Lack of income versus an education is complete BS. I went to the same free public schools for half of my life these people my age [here] went to. You either decide to learn, or you decide to use your situation as an excuse to remain ignorant.
Totally agree! It does not matter if your school is in a poor, middle class or, rich neighborhood. 2+2=4 in math class no matter where the school is located, December 7, 1941 is still "a day that will live in infamy" in history class no matter where the school is located. The spelling and connecting of words into sentences in English class well, you get the idea of which way I'm going with this. Excuses are the easy way out. Everyone can think for themselves and it is if you want to use that ability that will help you get to the next level.

gingerkat

Mind yourself, and not what I do or don't do. The guy's an a-hole. Let the mods handle it if these big bad words are hurting feelings. I'll buy him a pack of meat wallet pads to ease the pain.
Actually you do impact this entire forum when you decide to talk out your bunghole. It's bad enough that many of us get censored for words that are not really curse words or even really bad. But, when you directly say something to someone it sort of brings attention to the thread and things get locked or comments get moved.

So you are acting like a turd in the punch bowl. Make your comments to him, like he does to you, or put him on ignore like others.

It's an open forum and I appreciate you telling me to mind myself…. LOL! Negative

gingerkat

Totally agree! It does not matter if your school is in a poor, middle class or, rich neighborhood. 2+2=4 in math class no matter where the school is located, December 7, 1941 is still "a day that will live in infamy" in history class no matter where the school is located. The spelling and connecting of words into sentences in English class well, you get the idea of which way I'm going with this. Excuses are the easy way out. Everyone can think for themselves and it is if you want to use that ability that will help you get to the next level.
I guess I just don't understand any of this. Maybe because I teach adult literacy. These people can't read or write and the fear that comes across the faces of them when they have to write is sad. I've seen grown men cry when I ask them to write me something.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but now I try to not judge so quickly. Yes I hate rude people, but I don't know what they are going through.

oldngray

nowhere special
I guess I just don't understand any of this. Maybe because I teach adult literacy. These people can't read or write and the fear that comes across the faces of them when they have to write is sad. I've seen grown men cry when I ask them to write me something.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but now I try to not judge so quickly. Yes I hate rude people, but I don't know what they are going through.

People graduating from high school who are functionally illiterate is the problem. The schools just pass them along from grade to grade so they can stay in their own age group whether they learned anything or not. And it all starts in the home. If the kids aren't in an environment that tells them education is important they won't study if they even bother to go to school, and they will pass that mindset along to their own children. It is mostly lower income families that do this but not because of race. Poor whites are just as guilty of it as poor blacks. It isn't on the government to get them out of the situation they put themselves in. Possibly a helping hand up but not just a hand out.