wasteland

dammor

PASS System, I know this is going in a different direction guys. But the PASS System is going to allow UPS (when and if they get all the kinks out of it) to be able to bring ANYONE, (those people who some of you say don;t have the skills to drive and deliver packages) off the street who is qualified to work, IF and when the IBT or whatever UNION it may be calls a strike. If it happens again UPS will be prepared for it. THINK ABOUT IT. It starts from the preloaders.

I almost wet myself on that one. Bring it on and see what happens. A route the usually runs 50 miles a day will turn into a 150 mile route if run by trace. Many businesses and pickups will be missed. The only thing that is keeping the Pass system afloat is the area knowledge and will of the drivers who despite all the frustrations still care that people actually get their packages.
Perhaps in 20 more years the kinks will be worked out. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

W

westsideworma

There are different kinds of education. Many of us have more than the basic you refer to. Some of it comes from years in college and even more from actually doing the job for many years. Then there are those that have a ton of education who come in straight from college and have absolutely no idea as to what it takes to get this job done. It would seem many of them were hired to implement the PASS system. They were here for 3 weeks, and 2 years later we are still trying to get the kinks out of it. Same thing everyday, you pull a bad pal label off and give it to the educated ones and they say,"I don't know why the system is doing that." Mind you, the bad label is not the accidental type, it is in the computer, and the educated powers that be cannot or will not fix it. If you want to paint a realistic picture of UPS then start at the top. It would seem the dumbness flows downhill.

yeah you gotta love "system flips".....funny we never had this problem before PAS haha. I've been trying to get them to fix some of these labels for months now...just isn't worth it:confused:1

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Im not sure why everybody thinks that ups can bring in "outsiders" who can run a route easier now on edd than by the sequence number system of old. It would be just as easy for an outsider to learn a route the old way than it would on pas. Drivers have and still are learing routes the"old way". Its been happening for 99 years. Yes, preload might be easier but look at all of the problems that have been going on with edd now, and thats with preloaders who have been around for years. Ups cant expect to change the system after 99 years of doing it one way and make it perfect. When you dummy down the system to the extent that ups has then your goig to have problems. Pas is a good "tool" but it was no way worth 900 million dollars. What a waste of money. Great job UPS. That money could have been used in a million other more productive ways.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Dammor you are so right. HAHA I had a fellow employee who was being questioned one day about why it took him 10 minutes to get from point a to point b. Well, the driver said screw it and ran the route in trace, except for the air. Later on in the week he was asking the on road sup about his trace how it bounced around so much and the sup told him that "only a fool would run a route on trace that skipped around so much". So, there you go. Ups is bitching about loosing money...keep crying wolf. We have more volume than drivers can handle. We are keeping up with growth even under fierce bull**** tactics from fedex and dhl. We are wasting almost a billion on a system that is a nice tool for a couple of things but is pretty much failing. Does anyone want to add anything else. Every quarter the volume has been growing, including profits almost if not double digit, but mangt says we are loosing volume. READ:EVERY QUARTER MORE VOLUME, INCLUDING GROUND, BUT WE ARE LOOSING VOLUME. Hmmmm, If anyone would like to explain please do.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
FWIW it is basically impossible to run my route in trace. I still have to break everything down into sections in my head since EDD has me going all over.

Gman24

Guys, that;s why it's being implemented now. Ups KNOWS it's not perfect now, and I've had supervisors tell me it probably won;t be as perfect as they had planned. But I tell you, straight from the horses mouth so to speak. I have been told by a supervisor that it has been mentioned in conference calls that PASS, when all the bugs are straigtened out, will make it possible for UPS to stay on the road IF another STRIKE should occur. Sounds like a joke, but do you guys remember what happened with OVERNITE when they struck several years back. Overnite management took on the Teamsters and and hired replacement drivers. A lot of those Teamsters who walked are working elseware now. ( I am not trying to start a bash the IBT thread, just stating the facts.) My point is that it will be possible for UPS to do the same under PASS. It won;t be pretty, but UPS will be able to claim we are still on the road.

Of course, service will not be perfect. Most of us when we started didn't give the service that we do now because of experience.

I knew this would probably not be taken well, but I wanted to bring a new twist on PASS that no one had brought up yet.

JUST FOR THOUGHT!!!!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
well, if theres another strike at ups it wont be pretty. There will be many people that will loose their jobs, including many management folks. The public would be on the side of the drivers and a large percentage of accounts would NEVER come back to ups. That would be the BIGGEST mistake UPS could ever do. I guess there would be thousands of people out of work and starting their own businesses on EBAY.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
also, that was overnite. Even if you could find peolpe to run routes it would be absolute chaos. Ups is much larger and complex company than overnite. That would be opening a door of no return for ups.

traveler

Where next? Venice
well, if theres another strike at ups it wont be pretty. There will be many people that will loose their jobs, including many management folks. The public would be on the side of the drivers and a large percentage of accounts would NEVER come back to ups. That would be the BIGGEST mistake UPS could ever do. I guess there would be thousands of people out of work and starting their own businesses on EBAY.

You should think this out more carefully. Do you really think the public would have much sympathy for drivers earning an hourly rate of about $30.00 and asking for more? Yes, I do know how hard drivers work and a good driver is well worth the cost, BUT, the majority of the public is not is sync with this and never will be. A strike would be a big, big mistake on the part of both the drivers AND the company.

Gman24

You should think this out more carefully. Do you really think the public would have much sympathy for drivers earning an hourly rate of about $30.00 and asking for more? Yes, I do know how hard drivers work and a good driver is well worth the cost, BUT, the majority of the public is not is sync with this and never will be. A strike would be a big, big mistake on the part of both the drivers AND the company.

Well said Traveler. I still, to this day, run into customers who still haven't forgotten what WE (UPS, TEAMSTERS, DRIVERS ,all employees) did to them in 97. NOt just on my route but also whenever I travel and tell people just in conversation that I am a UPS driver.

Looking back, I think most of us realize the Strike ended up being a big JOKE anyways. I was one of those who was on the picket line everyday, don't get me wrong. HINDSITE is always 20/20!!!!

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Looking back, I think most of us realize the Strike ended up being a big JOKE anyways. I was one of those who was on the picket line everyday, don't get me wrong. HINDSITE is always 20/20!!!!

Same here, thank god for the $5 a day strike pay....:yawn:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
there were many customers who wouldnt accept packages from management drivers and were told to get off business property. This happen all over the country. I dont think ups realized how much the customer likes their driver. Ups thought the customers were going to be thankful that management were trying to keep the business running, but overall that backfired. Im not trying to say that the strike was good for business, because it wasnt. Fedex was licking their chops the whole time, even though they were saying how they hoped the strike would end asap. Ok, look like the goodguys in the whole thing while from behind the scenes, tell customers they better switch carriersor else.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I really hope there never is another srtike at this company, because it wouldnt be the end of ups, but it would be the end of ups being the largest package delivery company in the world. I really dont even know what was the "number one reason that the teamsters decided to strike. Was it the pension? Or does anyone really know.

Bulkstop

Shanty Irish
It sounds like you guys are doing a great job of adapting and overcomming, as are thousands of drivers all over the country. Pretty good show for a "field of labor that requires no formal education and a matter of hours in training!"

satellitedriver

I really hope there never is another srtike at this company, because it wouldnt be the end of ups, but it would be the end of ups being the largest package delivery company in the world. I really dont even know what was the "number one reason that the teamsters decided to strike. Was it the pension? Or does anyone really know.[/QUOTE

The number one reason was union politics. Carey was coming up for a confidence vote to keep his job. His biggest problem was that his father was a driver for UPS in the 1930's and bought stock that Carey inherited worth about 1 million$. The "union" thought he might go soft on UPS. So the order of the day was "STRIKE" no matter what UPS offered. Also, he had "contributed" $400,000.00 to the Democratic Party Campaign fund and in return from them got $100,000.00 for his re-election campaign. That was his undoing. He had to resign. But, that was after the fact that we UPSER's got :censored2: in the strike of 97. Yes, it also was the pension. The "union" kept control of it. Look how good they have done with it. Save and invest for your future.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
interesting....if his father was a driver it wouldnt be a big deal but with all of the stock, wouldnt that be a conflict of interest. Can anyone tell me if stock was given to drivers way back when or was it purchased. I didnt think stock could be bought until the 90's.

traveler

Where next? Venice
interesting....if his father was a driver it wouldnt be a big deal but with all of the stock, wouldnt that be a conflict of interest. Can anyone tell me if stock was given to drivers way back when or was it purchased. I didnt think stock could be bought until the 90's.

In the 30's throught the early 50's stock was available to drivers, etc. on a very limited basis for purchase. At that time there was no trust agreement where the holder had to sell back to the company within a (I believe) ten to fifteen year period after leaving whether he retired or just quit the company. (There were no female drivers nor were there any other women in the operational ranks that I know of!) These were known as "brown shares" and were later held outside the trust so that they could be bought and sold at the whim of the holder. That is somewhat like the difference between class A and B shares today. If I remember correctly, Carey was a full time sorter in the Maspeth, NY hub and he rose through the Teamster ranks. He had a complete hatred for UPS as a company and that didn't bode well when the contract came up.

Last edited: