watch your back people already getting caught tampering with it.

upsers22.3

United Parcel Service (UPS) will make about US$1 billion in technology investments this year to improve the efficiency of its operations, with the goal of cutting billions more from its costs over the long term, company executives said Tuesday.
One of its main goals is to improve the speed and efficiency of its delivery operations. To achieve that, UPS is equipping its vans with sensors that allow it to collect data about things like fuel consumption, chosen routes and how much time its engines spend idling, said Dave Barnes, chief information officer at UPS, at the company's Green Tech Forum in New York this week.
Reducing fuel consumption will help UPS not only to cut costs but also be more environmentally responsible. A big portion of the company's costs comes from transporting packages by air. In fact, UPS is the world's ninth-largest airline, so it is trying to conserve aircraft fuel as well, by lowering flight speeds and better planning to avoid duplication of routes.
But a lot of fuel is also burned by its trucks, and the sensors and telematics being implemented there could save the company millions of dollars, Barnes said.
UPS is installing around 200 sensors in its vehicles, in places like the brakes, engine box and on the exterior, to collect data and pinpoint opportunities where drivers can adjust their driving to maximize fuel efficiency. The company wants to reduce idle time of its delivery trucks, as each hour spent idling burns about a gallon of fuel, Barnes said.
The company is also installing GPS equipment to track the routes drivers take to deliver packages. Every morning the drivers are briefed on the data captured by the sensors and how they could drive differently to save fuel, he said. UPS wants to optimize the number of times a vehicle has to start, stop, reverse, turn or back up.
The telematics equipment captures streams of data and sends it in real time to servers for analysis. UPS is trying to improve the algorithms that analyze the sensor data, which can also help reduce vehicle maintenance costs.
The telematics gear will be in 22,000 UPS vehicles in the U.S. and Canada by the end of the year, out of a total of about 95,000 delivery vehicles, Barnes said.
The amount of fuel saved per truck may be relatively small, but the savings add up over a large fleet. "When you are talking about 55,000 drivers on the road alone, the seemingly small change has a tremendous impact," said Nick Costides, vice president of information services at UPS.
The company is also investing in more efficient cooling technologies at its two data centers, which are in Mahwah, New Jersey, and Alpharetta, Georgia. The climates there are relatively cool in winter, so during that period the company can shut off its chiller equipment and use outside air for cooling.
The Alpharetta data center has a 650,000-gallon water tank outside for cooling, and a heat exchanger to faster dissipate the heat captured in the fluid. The water flows in a circular motion around the data center, cooling the equipment, and the heat exchanger helps lower the temperature of the hot exhaust water more quickly.

The changes are saving UPS about $400,000 each year, Barnes said. The company is making further investments in newer cooling and dissipation techniques, he said, although he didn't discuss them in detail

SWORDFISH

This is pretty old news. Alot of big cities have already implemented and been using all of this stuff for awhile. Im at a medium center wich is 30ish routes and we dont have the telamatics in the truck yet but we have had the gps in the diad for awhile. More technology just means work slower and more effeciently for the drivers. I say work slower because if you have the full shot of telematics and you make a mistake its on computer and you have to face the firing squad. The BS thing about the GPS is that its only used as a tool by management. You cant pull it up to use if you cant find a road. Its very funny to me that when I went to driving school years ago UPS told our class they wouldnt be using GPS because of the trust issues it would create w/ the employees. Yet here we are today and most people have GPS(for spying on drivers).
As for saving UPS money I have always wondered if they are actually saving money at my center. They have to pay an extra salary out to someone to run the technology and my center is not that big. I dont know either way just curious.

p228

As for saving UPS money I have always wondered if they are actually saving money at my center. They have to pay an extra salary out to someone to run the technology and my center is not that big. I dont know either way just curious.

I got a nice laugh out of the article where it says we spent one billion dollars on implementation and it is going to save us millions.

I doubt they took into account the fact that all these sensors are going to increase the maintenance cost when they malfunction.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Telematics creates dozens of new measurements.

If we can measure it...we will manage it.

The more there is to measure...the more there is to manage.

And the more there is to manage...the more management people we will need to manage it.

Any perceived savings gained by the new system will be negated by the endless reams of paper reports that we will be micromanaged with.

We spent a bunch of money on Telematics, and that expense must be justified. The easiest way to justify something is to create a metric...track it...and manipulate it. If you can convince enough people that the metric matters...you have just created an "improvement" and you can justify your job by taking credit for that "improvement". Whether or not that metric means anything in the real world is irrelevant. Its not what you accomplish that gets you promoted at UPS, its how good you look on paper pretending to accomplish it.

I heard ups is going to have automatic transmissions and something called air service as well as we will not have to sheet our stops on paper? Could this all be true?

Overpaid Union Thug

Telematics creates dozens of new measurements.

If we can measure it...we will manage it

The more there is to measure...the more there is to manage.

And the more there is to manage...the more management people we will need to manage it.

Any perceived savings gained by the new system will be negated by the endless reams of paper reports that we will be micromanaged with.

We spent a bunch of money on Telematics, and that expense must be justified. The easiest way to justify something is to create a metric...track it...and manipulate it. If you can convince enough people that the metric matters...you have just created an "improvement" and you can justify your job by taking credit for that "improvement". Whether or not that metric means anything in the real world is irrelevant. Its not what you accomplish that gets you promoted at UPS, its how good you look on paper pretending to accomplish it.

This is probably one of the best posts I've ever seen on here. And I've been coming to this site since the beginning. I was actually thinking about this the other day as I was standing there witnessing our management team freak out because they weren't going to make "stops per car" and decided to cut a route at the last minute (literally) in order to satisfy the Microsoft Excel Squad of supervisors and IE geeks that they answer to. I couldn't help but think that it was a perfect example of what's slowly, but surely, bringing this company down. I had a helper during this past peak that was planning on trying to get on at UPS permanently. He has a VERY impressive military background. Lets just his rank was pretty damn high so since he's been leading large amounts of people for so long he thought he'd pursue management at UPS. He asked me what I thought of management and what I thought it would be like and all that. I just said...."I hope you are familiar with Microsoft Excell." LOL!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You ain't see nothin' yet---wait til the costs of Obamacare have to be recouped. There is only so much that can be passed on to the consumer before the consumer passes on you.

ddomino

This article above confirms what I have believed to be true, Telematics sends data in real time. If it can be "sent to a server" it can be sent or read at other sites, like the center offices. As i said on a survey shortly after telematics rolled out, I think its like big brother on steroids.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
if all this is true, then why do they have me everyday driving around collecting misloads ?
What a waste of time & fuel.

959Nanook

Proof that [-]servicing packages[/-] making good numbers on internal reports > saving environment @ UPS.

The sadist in me can't wait to see supervisors and managers running around like chickens with heads cutoff trying to figure out which "number" is the flavor of the week and trying to tweak it without doing too much irreparable damage to last weeks number of the week or causing a red flag to go up and be the root of next week's number of the week all while trying to balance the numbers that effect their bonus money. Either way, I don't see this as bad news for drivers that are working as directed.

mpeedy

We have been on telematics for over a year. The seat-belts get changed out on the older cars to ones with a wire on it to tell if the seat-belt is on when driving. If you drive a old p-10 you will notice that the new seat-belts are 6 inches shorter than the old ones. Therefore buckling up per methods with your left hand is impossible.
The telematics brain that is in the package car can get jamed up and relay information late. i.e. Telling that you put your seat belt on after you start to drive.
Most routes will be changed and taken out more than before, daily. The problem is that the broken up routes del stops and not p/u stops can be transferred. We had a big problem and now a small problem of having routes taken out and the p/u's not being covered.
In my center the routes now make no sense. We have drivers crossing like crazy. Many drivers del in the same neighborhood. I can't figure out how with so much info at the sups fingertips can routs overlap and jump around so much.
I hope no one has the problem that we had concerning lunch. In the beginning we were told we had to take our lunch immediately after our last stop before lunch. Therefore eating lunch where the truck was parked. Then it changed to having to start lunch from our last stop, but we were able to drive a 1/3 mile to lunch. Now it has laxed to the old ways.
To sum up the UPS press release it was quite a laugh. Telematics looks good on paper but slows the driver down in the end. You will see that your methods to start the pc and go will completely change for the slower.
I also forgot. If you are completely stopped, not moving, with the engine on and stop complete a del or p/u you will come up on the reports as working while driving. A no-no.

SWORDFISH

We have been on telematics for over a year. The seat-belts get changed out on the older cars to ones with a wire on it to tell if the seat-belt is on when driving. If you drive a old p-10 you will notice that the new seat-belts are 6 inches shorter than the old ones. Therefore buckling up per methods with your left hand is impossible.
The telematics brain that is in the package car can get jamed up and relay information late. i.e. Telling that you put your seat belt on after you start to drive.
Most routes will be changed and taken out more than before, daily. The problem is that the broken up routes del stops and not p/u stops can be transferred. We had a big problem and now a small problem of having routes taken out and the p/u's not being covered.
In my center the routes now make no sense. We have drivers crossing like crazy. Many drivers del in the same neighborhood. I can't figure out how with so much info at the sups fingertips can routs overlap and jump around so much.
I hope no one has the problem that we had concerning lunch. In the beginning we were told we had to take our lunch immediately after our last stop before lunch. Therefore eating lunch where the truck was parked. Then it changed to having to start lunch from our last stop, but we were able to drive a 1/3 mile to lunch. Now it has laxed to the old ways.
To sum up the UPS press release it was quite a laugh. Telematics looks good on paper but slows the driver down in the end. You will see that your methods to start the pc and go will completely change for the slower.
I also forgot. If you are completely stopped, not moving, with the engine on and stop complete a del or p/u you will come up on the reports as working while driving. A no-no.

Good info. I didnt know that last one. As for the lunches.

Our center manager tried to pull that lunch traveling bs on me and another guy but they cannot do that in my area. You are allowed to go a reasonable distance and driving on lunch is a no-no. Even though they dont care if you do it cuz it helps them out.

browned out

This is probably one of the best posts I've ever seen on here. And I've been coming to this site since the beginning. I was actually thinking about this the other day as I was standing there witnessing our management team freak out because they weren't going to make "stops per car" and decided to cut a route at the last minute (literally) in order to satisfy the Microsoft Excel Squad of supervisors and IE geeks that they answer to. I couldn't help but think that it was a perfect example of what's slowly, but surely, bringing this company down. I had a helper during this past peak that was planning on trying to get on at UPS permanently. He has a VERY impressive military background. Lets just his rank was pretty damn high so since he's been leading large amounts of people for so long he thought he'd pursue management at UPS. He asked me what I thought of management and what I thought it would be like and all that. I just said...."I hope you are familiar with Microsoft Excell." LOL!

Yep. We are now forming a committee to see how all the other committees are performing. This is just prolonging the inevitable layoffs of more redundant useless management. HAL tried to take over my truck the other day. "Dave, You should have turned left"

satellitedriver

All this techno-crap sounds cool, but why am I still driving a 1988 P5 with 800,000 miles on it?
Pad lock back door, non powered steering, stadium seat with a 1/4" of foam between my ass and plywood, bulkhead door that take two hands to close, ect........
My mechanic does not have "the budget" to replace door seals, side glass panels, door handles, but will have the budget to install telemetrics on my POS pkg car?
Per my mechanic, my car is not scheduled to be replaced for 3yrs.
Well, I will be long gone before my pkg car.