Watching us drivers

UPSGUY72

This whole telematics thing is to prevent breakdowns. Its for the mechanics:obeyhypnosmiley:

I need to get some of the stuff your on....

What does the bulkhead door open, backing first exception, the number of times I back up, recording while idling or in travel and how much time I sit in traffic to name a few have to do with reducing break downs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What does the bulkhead door open, backing first exception, the number of times I back up, recording while idling or in travel and how much time I sit in traffic to name a few have to do with reducing break downs.

bumped was being sarcastic.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

no no he is right, ask pretzelman, its a mechanics tool....buwahahahahahaa

JonFrum

Apparently you only know about the Driver portion of Telematics. Telematics also sends lots of automotive info to the Automotive Department about the functioning of your vehicle. Management claims that is the primary purpose, and driver discipline is not the intent. [Insert comment here.]

Unfortunately, Telematics costs a fortune to purchase, a fortune to install, a fortune to continually tweek in an atempt to fix the bugs, a fortune to repair, a fortune when it is installed on all the cars that are to be crushed, and doesn't work on swing back doors, or 24-footers, or when the vehicle battery is low. Oh, and it hasn't reduced breakdowns because . . . well . . . this is UPS, and UPS doesn't have its managerial act together.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Why validate the process by participating in it?

I am a UPS driver. My job....is to get the packages delivered and picked up, and to provide safe and professional service to the customers who ultimately pay all of our wages. I have much more important things to worry about than whether a line that I generate on a monitor is red or blue. Lets all just focus on our jobs and leave the issue of a colored line on a monitor in the hands of the "professional" who is, after all, far more qualified than we are to "MICRO manage" it.
:nobrainzombis:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We had a driver fired for breaking trace because when he was called in he couldnt account for what he was doing from memory what those instances were. He was red flagged by IE for red lines. He got his job back, but covering your ass will save alot of headaches. It is too hard to remember what I did earlier today, let alone what I did 3 weeks ago. What you do as a driver is your own business, but I prefer to try and make it as painless as possible. If management asks me to drive 3 miles to meet a driver for a misload, who knows your doing that? You, the other driver and the person sending the message. All that IE sees is you driving 3 miles one way, then driving back without doing one thing. It looks like padding. I would rather NOT even be looked at, especially when I am not doing anything wrong.
Here here!! I couldn't agree with you more. It's getting so bad that if I have anything unusual I am going to make a note of it. There was a time, when I first started driving, I was carrying a note book with me and writing everything down. Guess I will have to go back to doing that again.

bigblu 2 you

if i were a part time supe or on car,etc. i would be looking for a wrench to throw in the system{telematics} or a new career.this will be the biggest cost cutting move imo.no more safety rides,time studies,hide and peek etc.just one trained chimp glued to a monitor and printing out a seemingly endless sea of reports.btw,we had a driver a few weeks ago show up with his bulkhead door open while driving 70mph in reverse?so i was told by a b.a. this system will always have flaws.

Thebrownstreak

if i were a part time supe or on car,etc. i would be looking for a wrench to throw in the system{telematics} or a new career.this will be the biggest cost cutting move imo.no more safety rides,time studies,hide and peek etc.just one trained chimp glued to a monitor and printing out a seemingly endless sea of reports.btw,we had a driver a few weeks ago show up with his bulkhead door open while driving 70mph in reverse?so i was told by a b.a. this system will always have flaws.
But how am I suppose to do a J turn w/o my bulkhead open while doing 70mph in reverse. Come on IE.

GolfCart

I just LOVE how UPS , prints so many reports , then they say they are a " Green Company " My hub alone waste so much paper ! Ups ........... TREE KILLERS ...........

Thebrownstreak

I just LOVE how UPS , prints so many reports , then they say they are a " Green Company " My hub alone waste so much paper ! Ups ........... TREE KILLERS ...........[/QUOTE

I've been saying the same thing. Imagine how much money it would save in the long run if they just installed those electronic "chalk boards". My nephew is in college and said that they can watch videos and the teacher can write things on the board kind of like how your coach use to. Then they could have a device similar to an IPad for all things that need to be signed off by the drivers. Or even recycle the paper when in six months they are gonna throw it away anywas. Stupid