Water and fruit

S

splozi

It has been Summer here lately without it being Summer yet.
I'm talking 84 degrees at 3am, with high humidity levels.

Management has been buying bottled water and fruit (bananas, apples, oranges) for the preload shift and setting it out on a table before break time. I even saw an on-car sup walking in with a batch of stuff toward the end of the sort, so I guess they're doing it for drivers too. This happens only for mornings when it's in the 80's.

Except today it was 72 with lower humidity and they still gave out bottled water (each belt got a box of water).

I was kind of surprised by this. Management... buying stuff for its employees?
Doesn't seem like something that happens based on how people here talk about management.

Does this happen at any of the centers you guys work at?

DS

Fenderbender
Not often,only on the disgustingly hot days.Most people forget to stay hydrated enough.
If they don't have lots of cold water to drink,a lot of people will become useless.
Then they have to do the work.
It's not like they are buying lunch,it's a necessity.
Where are you splozi?

Last edited:
S

splozi

It's not like they are buying lunch,it's a necessity.

When we don't have any injuries for a certain period of time, management provides hamburgers and hotdogs for preload after the sort. I think we got that about 5 times over the past year.

DS

Fenderbender
When we don't have any injuries for a certain period of time, management provides hamburgers and hotdogs for preload after the sort. I think we got that about 5 times over the past year.
I eat at home,I don't need ups to pretend they care.Maybe you are lucky,and have sups with realistic expectations,ours are just puppets moving around on invisible strings.
You still never said where you are from...no details just a State would be OK.
I'm in Toronto and it was really humid yesterday.

S

splozi

I eat at home,I don't need ups to pretend they care.Maybe you are lucky,and have sups with realistic expectations,ours are just puppets moving around on invisible strings.
You still never said where you are from...no details just a State would be OK.
I'm in Toronto and it was really humid yesterday.

I live in a red state in the central part of the country.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
90 here in Georgia and already had one driver suffer heat exhaustion today. A box of 2.99 water for an entire belt is called insurance, another thing they can say they did when someone gets heat exhaustion because they were loading a trailer with temps in the low 100's and offer you one 500 ml bottle water. Don't kid yourself, keep hydrated for you, not them. If you keel over in the back of the trailer all the money in the world ain't gunna help you.

S

splozi

I drink anywhere from 1-2+ liters of water over the 4.5-hour shift. Personally, I don't see how you can NOT drink water. It just feels so good, and you get to take a break for a few seconds that they can't yell at you about.

S

splozi

Why so vague?
Are you afraid of something?
Is a red state one that has more walmarts?
Lets guess...you live in Nebraska...right?

I'm in Oklahoma.

A red state would be one that typically votes Republican. And yes, there are a lot of Wal-Marts. In fact, that's where management buys the fruit/water.

U

uber

I'm in Oklahoma.

A red state would be one that typically votes Republican. And yes, there are a lot of Wal-Marts. In fact, that's where management buys the fruit/water.

Haha, thats what they want you to think. Its actually overgoods.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Don't you people know this is the "summer of love"?
With contract negotiations starting up you will see a significant increase in these kind of activities.
Watch and see, count how many grill outs and pizza party's there are.
Then vote NO anyway.

It's hot every summer.
Why does management now understand?
I just told you.

over9five

Staff member
In Feeders on really hot days, they'll have bottled water for the shifter drivers.

In Package, they'll have water when you come in at night (too late), occasionally in the morning before you go out.

S

splozi

Watch and see, count how many grill outs and pizza party's there are.
Then vote NO anyway.

What exactly are we supposed to vote no on? What if the negotiated changes are for the better? Are we still to vote no? Yeah, stick it to the man!