Wave or no Wave?

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
When you see the FDX guy coming the opposite way, are you a waver or a non-waver?

The only guy I wave to is the Express guy because he waves back and actually makes small talk if we arrive at the same stop. As for the Freight,Ground,or HD guy forget it, in all the years I've been driving they've never waved back.

But as a side note, our Freight drivers rarely wave back and in our area they are always "BS'ing" with the FDX freight drivers.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I talk to all of the drivers I pass on my route. I've been in the same area longer than any of them so eventually they all ask me were so-and-so is.

bbsam

Staff member
When you see the FDX guy coming the opposite way, are you a waver or a non-waver?

The only guy I wave to is the Express guy because he waves back and actually makes small talk if we arrive at the same stop. As for the Freight,Ground,or HD guy forget it, in all the years I've been driving they've never waved back.

But as a side note, our Freight drivers rarely wave back and in our area they are always "BS'ing" with the FDX freight drivers.
as a fdx contractor, i wave because it's rude not to. besides i know most of the ups guys around from years ago. the fact that i may want as much of your volume as i can get and you may want my company to fold and go the way of dhl is no reason to forego civility.

rapidrandall

slow but sure

I wave to everybody. We're all just trying to make a living. I also wave to all police cars.

bigbrownhen

I wave. I am from a small town, so I was raised it is very rude not to wave at someone, doesn't matter if you know them or not. Its either a wave or just a nod, either one shows recognition. Might as well be friendly.

rod

Retired 22 years
We always flipped each other off --------------just for a joke:wink2: . I tried to get along with everyone. Actually we were friends and he came to my retirement party and gave me a FedEx tee shirt as a retirement gift. When all this FedEx Ground and Home Delivery came along I didn't know those guys but still waved

SmithBarney

I wave at all the cars... gets a little tiring, but I don't want to be rude to anyone...

actually I wave at the UPS guys, I gave up on the FedEx Ground guys they
just don't watch anything on the road but the car in front of them.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I wave to all of my opponents as well as the State Police that patrol my area, but the only one I ever really talk to is the Express driver. The other guys (ground/home) just aren't the most friendly. And the things my cusomters tell me they do just really turns me off.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I usually wave or nod to most FedEx guys but I have noticed, as others have pointed out, that the Ground guys rarely wave. Express and Freight are more likely to wave.

I also wave at fellow union drivers ABF and Yellow/Roadway. New Penn guys are usually driving too close to the speed of light to notice anyone.

And of course I wave at any UPS drivers, no matter what they drive.

When I was in package I waved to the Post office guys too. In feeders they don't wave so I don't bother anymore.

Overpaid Union Thug

I used to wave to all of them but I quit waving to all of the DHL drivers (not so much a factor anymore) and all but one RPS driver. It seems that most of the contractor drivers are all grumpy jerks in my area. All expect one and he owns a couple of the other routes that the grumpy drivers are running. These contractors all seem like they need to be on suicide watch. I think their jobs turned out to be nothing like "FedEx" advertised and they are highly disappointed. The FedEx Express drivers are usually pretty cool and wave.

MD Dan

Wave, absolutely! At kids, police, mail people, ALL other truck drivers, etc. Lack of civility is killing our society.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I always wave at UPSF,Fedex Express, Post Office, Teamster Freight,and DHL guys. We are all just trying to make a living, the way I see it. I know the Express and letter carriers on my route on a first name basis.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I wave to everyone. Half the time I'm not even sure who they are because they are used to seeing their regular driver, not me. I even have a couple of the Fedex drivers phone numbers. I've called them, or waved them down on rte, to get directions to a street or a house. And I have given directions as well. :happy-very:

Always wave, and if I have time I'll chat up the UPS guys at my stops. On my old route, the UPS guy was real friendly and we would talk quite a bit. The drivers who did that route before me would always ask, "How's Bob doing?"

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I wave to everyone. Some days I feel like I'm in a freakin' parade. One year my Christmas helper was a 19 yr old young man. I told him to wave to the pretty girls, because they'll wave to you in the pkg car, but see right past him the rest of his life!