way overworked as a preloader

UPSGUY72

Seems like your true colors are coming out. Don't worry if you don't quit they will eventually fire you....

The younger kids these days just want everything handed to them they want to make the big bucks and not have to work there way up to get it.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Um, pretty much. I figure we have 63 drivers in our center. At one time or another, at least 50 were pre-loaders. Another 5 or 6 were casuals that made book. It's rare, at least in my building, to see a new driver that didn't spend time on the pre-load.

Our local sort seems to be where the career PTs live. Better hours, shorter sort, and easier work.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Really? I know drivers that have done just about every position at the hub. Unloader, loader, sorter, smalls. I see no correlation between being a preloader and becoming a driver.

Yeah, really. I don't see the correlation, either, but the fact remains that most every driver in my center spent some time on the pre-load. In fact, just two weeks ago a young lady from the unload tried going driving in our center. Lasted 3 days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It helps in understanding, as I stated several times. I grasp that understanding isn't your strong suit. It is blatantly obvious.

Understanding what?? To be blunt, I don't care about the process involved in getting the packages on to the car. All I ask is that the loader does the job the way that he was trained to do it. When he loads by the PAL I can then deliver following EDD. When he does his job I can then do mine. I don't tell him how to do his job and he doesn't tell me how to do mine. It's an arrangement we are both comfortable with.

You don't have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Understanding what?? To be blunt, I don't care about the process involved in getting the packages on to the car. All I ask is that the loader does the job the way that he was trained to do it. When he loads by the PAL I can then deliver following EDD. When he does his job I can then do mine. I don't tell him how to do his job and he doesn't tell me how to do mine. It's an arrangement we are both comfortable with.

You don't have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em.
:whiteflag:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The younger kids these days just want everything handed to them they want to make the big bucks and not have to work there way up to get it.

Yep I've got a friend that's 21 that hates his mechanics job and was looking for a new job. He didn't consider ups because he would have to work part time first. I said maybe but by the time you turn 30 you'll be close to 100k. That's ok he's more worried about the "big bucks" now new job pays $12 an hour lol. Most younger people just can't see the big picture.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Seems like your true colors are coming out. Don't worry if you don't quit they will eventually fire you....

upsguy72,

The sad fact is that the lack of real men, being real fathers and husbands is what is what is causing kids to turn out the way they do.

The statistics are overwhelmingly in support of the correlation between the breakdown of the family and the breakdown of a society.

Self centered, self serving, Greedy, gluttonous, materialistic, drunken, lustful, arrogant...(you add your own) fathers pass this junk on to their kids.

There is no way around this fact.

Sincerely,
I

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Being a pre-loader in the old days was a tremendous help to me in becoming a driver. It gave me a sense of pride in doing the job right, taught me how to make quick decisions on the fly. I'd be willing to bet a weeks pay that most loaders don't know what a Z-scan is. It was a harder job back in the days before you had those cute little labels that told you where to put stuff. Back in the day when you had to memorize 300 or more different sequence numbers for 3 or 4 trucks. It was immediate trial by fire when you were hired to load the brown trucks. I'd be mortified if any truck I loaded left the building the way some of these trucks do.

The PAL system has literally dumbed-down the pre-load. It has removed any ability they had to reason or apply logic (i.e. a 30-piece bulk stop for the 5000 shelf that's smashed in with the other 30 stops on the 5000 shelf), and it's made them terribly lazy (sequence #6343 on pkg, just pitch it on the 6000 shelf and the driver will handle the rest).

I took over my own route last Tuesday. The pre-loader that we have is incredible. He's from the old school, easily has 15 years in. He doesn't follow the PAL guidelines; loads the truck exactly the way that me and my two neighbors want it done and he is incredibly neat about it. Most days I have between 250-300 pieces in a 6-cube and I could teach an aerobics class in there everyday that's how neat it is. For this, he will get a very healthy tip and a big thank you from the 3 of us every December.

Indecisi0n

Being a pre-loader in the old days was a tremendous help to me in becoming a driver. It gave me a sense of pride in doing the job right, taught me how to make quick decisions on the fly. I'd be willing to bet a weeks pay that most loaders don't know what a Z-scan is. It was a harder job back in the days before you had those cute little labels that told you where to put stuff. Back in the day when you had to memorize 300 or more different sequence numbers for 3 or 4 trucks. It was immediate trial by fire when you were hired to load the brown trucks. I'd be mortified if any truck I loaded left the building the way some of these trucks do.

The PAL system has literally dumbed-down the pre-load. It has removed any ability they had to reason or apply logic (i.e. a 30-piece bulk stop for the 5000 shelf that's smashed in with the other 30 stops on the 5000 shelf), and it's made them terribly lazy (sequence #6343 on pkg, just pitch it on the 6000 shelf and the driver will handle the rest).

I took over my own route last Tuesday. The pre-loader that we have is incredible. He's from the old school, easily has 15 years in. He doesn't follow the PAL guidelines; loads the truck exactly the way that me and my two neighbors want it done and he is incredibly neat about it. Most days I have between 250-300 pieces in a 6-cube and I could teach an aerobics class in there everyday that's how neat it is. For this, he will get a very healthy tip and a big thank you from the 3 of us every December.

You teach aerobics ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Like you got anything out of it.

Actually I did. I have had the luxury of having a preloader who built custom loads and it made my day a lot easier; however, custom loads are discouraged today. The PAL system has dumbed down the preloader's job, much the same as EDD has dumbed down the driver's job.

The point is UPS invested millions of dollars so that loaders and drivers wouldn't have to think.