Ways To Work For Yourself After Retirement?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
going out pretty soon and still very young. don't want to work for anyone else ANYMORE!

so I'm asking retirees here what kind of fun part time businesses they do over or under the table you do to have fun/stay busy/ and make a little extra moolah on the side.

really have no hobbies that I could start making money off of.

I have thought about selling on ebay or craigslist. selling firewood. yard care. or picking up cans along the highway, haha.

don't really need the money but want to stay busy and have fun.

The Milkman

DSC08178.JPG
DSC08179.JPG
DSC08181.JPG
going out pretty soon and still very young. don't want to work for anyone else ANYMORE!

so I'm asking retirees here what kind of fun part time businesses they do over or under the table you do to have fun/stay busy/ and make a little extra moolah on the side.

I have thought about selling on ebay or craigslist. selling firewood. yard care. or picking up cans along the highway, haha.

The Milkman

When I retired in 08 I did not want to work anymore..In 2010 I sold my bike to a guy in Australia. He flys over stays with us a week then rides off. Ships it home then a few months later I get a call from him and was asked if I could go look at a boat for for sale about 45 minutes from me and take some pics for a freind of his who was thinking of buying it.. made the trip guy sends me $200 for 3 hours of my time and I said Thanks. Long story short..fast forward to today..I have bought about 80 bikes mostly Harleys, about a dozen boats anywhere from 16-21 footers, Muscle cars from the late 60's Camaros, 69, 75 and 76 Vettes, about 5 pickups, a 73 914 Porshe and just recently a 66 El Camino Big block not far from me..The pictures you see in front of my home was just 1 week of action..Was a record week for me...it goes in spurts. he sends me links, I call about the car/bike go to the bank and get the $$$ as needed, and he set up a bank acct while here back in 2012 with my bank to make it easier for me to get access to cash. Just recently he sent me 125K to buy a small condo in Vegas he can use when he comes yearly for 3 months at a time to stay in and wants to rent it when he is away. I can make $300-400 bucks getting 1 bike depending on drive time etc from me, usually I am driving about 1 hour one way on average 90% of the time but there has been a few in the 3-4 hour range and he takes care of me nicely. Then a transport guy shows up at my place and takes the bikes to the ports in California. When I buy cars..I go check them out..pay, get the title then the transport guy goes and picks it up..Easy Easy money...Life is good and like you said..keeps me busy..And now I am getting a lot of other stuff (small stuff) car parts, tools for others, tires and stuff for people who knew this guys father in law and by word of mouth that there is a guy over here that you can trust with buying and then shipping it along with the bikes in boxes to go on the containership....getting busy as I now have 3 others buying anything that they can make a buck off of...Good luck with what you want to do but I do not consider this work!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a guy on my route who built custom sparkplug wiring harnesses in his garage for a lot of the big name race teams (NASCAR, NHRA, etc). Apparently there was a lot of money in it because he lived in a real nice house and had lots of toys. I also had a guy that did nothing but sharpen specialty cutting blades for a few companies. He also had a nice house complete with pool. I have a friend who is retired and builds custom guns for just his friends. He used to do it for anybody but he was so busy he said it got to be no fun so he cut back. He said when he was building for anyone it was nothing to sell a quarter of a million dollars worth of guns and gun parts a year.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

When you retire, you want to choose an activity/job that keeps you as busy as you want and has flexibility for you to travel and take time off.
My wife sells on ebay and pulls in around $20 - 30k a year.
Mostly Vera Bradley but other stuff as well.
It helps if you live fairly close to upscale thrift stores and consignment centers for inventory.
Depreciation on car and mileage and other materials are tax deductible as well.

The Milkman

I live real close to Reno and a 100 miles from Sacramento if he wants me to help him in those areas. i'll give you a finders fee,

sounds like fun.

He wants to stay in the Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, L.A area along with Vegas when he is visiting. Our Transport guy used to go up Sacramento way but no more at this time as he is too busy in Southern Ca. Thanks anyway

The Milkman

May be easy money but doubt it is legaly tax free.
For the most part (90%) of the buys are for older bikes mostly in the 5-7k range although we have made some larger buys....why should I report any $$$ when I go buy a bike and make a couple hundrd bucks? or go trim someones tree for the same amount, or do some inside painting for cash...Would You?

bbsam

Staff member
You could be a safety consultant for a group of Fedex Ground contractors. Set up a sub-S corporation, find 10 to 12 contractors willing to toss you $100 each per month to give safety tips twice a month on a Thursday morning. Not like you'd have to put a ton of prep into it. Show up, talk to a group of drivers on a subject of your choosing pertaining to safety and get paid. You could get as deep into it as you wanted. Technically you aren't working for FedEx, it's easy money, maybe your knowledge helps prevent an accident or even a fatality. Pittsburgh would love it.

oldupsman

I just found a part time job I really enjoy. And honestly they love having me. Show up when I'm suppose to
and on time. And then actually work. I could work full time if I wanted too. They ask me all the time.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I just found a part time job I really enjoy. And honestly they love having me. Show up when I'm suppose to
and on time. And then actually work. I could work full time if I wanted too. They ask me all the time.
I hear that from many UPS retirees. Even the milkmen among us are better then the average worker. Lol.