We Are Our Own Worst Enemy – What Can We Do To Change This?

UPS Preloader

What can we all start doing to stop kicking ourselves in the behind?

1. How can we convince Preloaders to stop volunteering to go home without their 3.5 hour guarantee.
  2. How can we convince drivers to stop going home when management cuts a route? Don’t they still have an 8 hour guarantee?
  3. How can we get convince our brothers and sisters to notify their stewards when they see a supervisor performing bargaining unit work?
  4. How can we get both the FT’s and the PT’s to stop bashing each other on this forum?
  5. How can we… (You fill in the issue…)

If we are going to be successful in our contract negotiations, we need to work on becoming one big cohesive family. Any ideas on how we can accomplish this on these issues as well as any other issues that you can think of? Let’s put all the issues on the table and come up with some ideas on how to resolve them.

Integrity

Binge Poster

1. How can we convince Preloaders to stop volunteering to go home without their 3.5 hour guarantee.
  2. How can we convince drivers to stop going home when management cuts a route? Don’t they still have an 8 hour guarantee?
  3. How can we get convince our brothers and sisters to notify their stewards when they see a supervisor performing bargaining unit work?
  4. How can we get both the FT’s and the PT’s to stop bashing each other on this forum?

If we are going to be successful in our contract negotiations, we need to work on becoming one big cohesive family. Any ideas on how we can accomplish this on these issues as well as any other issues that you can think of? Let’s put all the issues on the table and come up with some ideas on how to resolve them.
UPS Preloader,

5. How can we start enforcing safety committee contract language?

Sincerely,
I

UPS Preloader

UPS Preloader,

Sincerely,
I

We don't really have the ability to enforce... Looking for Idea's on how to convince our Brothers and Sisters to honor the contract and do whats right. Seems like the only thing some of us care about is the money and the monetary benefits. If that the case, why do we have the rest of the contract?

Integrity

Binge Poster
We don't really have the ability to enforce... Looking for Idea's on how to convince our Brothers and Sisters to honor the contract and do whats right. Seems like the only thing some of us care about is the money and the monetary benefits. If that the case, why do we have the rest of the contract?
UPS Preloader,

What do you mean we don't have the ability to enforce?

What about the grievace process?

Isn't that the machinery for enforcing the contract?

Sincerely,
I

UPS Preloader

UPS Preloader,

What do you mean we don't have the ability to enforce?

What about the grievace process?

Isn't that the machinery for enforcing the contract?

Sincerely,
I

The grievance process is used to get UPS to abided by the contract. I'm not going to write a grievance against a fellow employee for going home early when they have the right to stay.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The grievance process is used to get UPS to abided by the contract. I'm not going to write a grievance against a fellow employee for going home early when they have the right to stay.
UPS Preloader,

I did not suggest this nor would I.

I will post my response to your original post so you can respond to it if you would like.

UPS Preloader,

Sincerely,
I

UPS Preloader

UPS Preloader,

Sincerely,
I

I'm sorry, my bad... I guess my answer would be it depends. Is there a specific issue you're referring to. As with any issue, ultimately someone needs to be willing to confront management on the issues and file grievances accordingly. In my building, I am one of the only ones willing to do this. They all support me in my efforts, but not many of them will go out on a limb with me. The biggest issue I have in my building is egress. During peak, management was parking a truck in the emergency exit route. When confronted they told me that during peak they can do hatever they want. I disagreed with them and let them know if they did that I would immediately go to the local fire department after the shift to discuss it. Management put the truck there and immediately after the shift I went to the fire department. As promised, at 6:00AM the next day the Fire Captain was there inspecting the building. Management hasn't attempted to block the emergency egress since. Now I am working on the egress issues caused by the pre-loaders stacking out due to the excessive flow. I have been working with management for several week to resolve this and will continue to work with them until the end of the month. After that, if the problem persists I am going to start filing grievances whenever there are significant egress issues. If it continues, after I have a half a dozen or so grievances I will be setting an appointment with OSHA and I'll have all the backing I need to bring them in. (FYI - The local fire captain told me that if the stacking egress issues continue to let him know and he will have the fire chief go in and he will put a stop to it immediately.) I'm hoping it doesn't get to this, but at this point the workloads are excessive resulting in excessive stacking/egress issues and somebody is going to get hurt. Funny thing is, I've file very few grievances over the years and I currently get along very well with the management staff, but I think that might be changing soon.

stoni24

UPS Preloader,

Sincerely,
I

I'm sorry, my bad... I guess my answer would be it depends. Is there a specific issue you're referring to. As with any issue, ultimately someone needs to be willing to confront management on the issues and file grievances accordingly. In my building, I am one of the only ones willing to do this. They all support me in my efforts, but not many of them will go out on a limb with me. The biggest issue I have in my building is egress. During peak, management was parking a truck in the emergency exit route. When confronted they told me that during peak they can do hatever they want. I disagreed with them and let them know if they did that I would immediately go to the local fire department after the shift to discuss it. Management put the truck there and immediately after the shift I went to the fire department. As promised, at 6:00AM the next day the Fire Captain was there inspecting the building. Management hasn't attempted to block the emergency egress since. Now I am working on the egress issues caused by the pre-loaders stacking out due to the excessive flow. I have been working with management for several week to resolve this and will continue to work with them until the end of the month. After that, if the problem persists I am going to start filing grievances whenever there are significant egress issues. If it continues, after I have a half a dozen or so grievances I will be setting an appointment with OSHA and I'll have all the backing I need to bring them in. (FYI - The local fire captain told me that if the stacking egress issues continue to let him know and he will have the fire chief go in and he will put a stop to it immediately.) I'm hoping it doesn't get to this, but at this point the workloads are excessive resulting in excessive stacking/egress issues and somebody is going to get hurt. Funny thing is, I've file very few grievances over the years and I currently get along very well with the management staff, but I think that might be changing soon.
I admire ur courage. That takes a big set of ..... Be careful and constantly watch ur back.

A

anonymous6

set a good example in a professional way and perhaps others will follow your lead.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

1. Education. A lot of the younger guys don't understand the concept of a 3.5 hour gurantee.. I talked to a kid that rode his bike 5 miles to work, got there on time, and was sent home because "there wasn't any work." I explained to him what his gurantee was and he had never heard of it.

2. They know better.. I'm guessing most drivers would prefer not to split shift inside the building.

3. I don't convince them to notify me; they do that already. I convince them to file grievances so the violations stop. They can shuffle a steward around or "work around" him in a way that he or she can't see the violations. That's Management 101. Know what helped me convince another guy to file? My $200 grievance settlement check. Hours slowly getting cut on my PT shift because sups start working, get away with it, and do more and more. Those 10-15 minutes of OT two or three days a week shrink to none and the paychecks shrink, as well. When you explain management is stealing food off your table by working it puts it in different terms than when someone says "but they make my job easier!"

4. Good luck. There will always be some animosity between FT/PT. I don't get in on it because I'll get my shot eventually (that's how seniority works); the only time it bugs me is when FT union members (very few of them) openly advocate two-tiered wage or health & welfare proposals because they already got theirs'. Or when a scab gets a FT slot ahead of a dues paying member..

UPS Preloader

1. Education. A lot of the younger guys don't understand the concept of a 3.5 hour gurantee.. I talked to a kid that rode his bike 5 miles to work, got there on time, and was sent home because "there wasn't any work." I explained to him what his gurantee was and he had never heard of it.

2. They know better.. I'm guessing most drivers would prefer not to split shift inside the building.

Thanks for your post. Very much appreciated.

3. I don't convince them to notify me; they do that already. I convince them to file grievances so the violations stop. They can shuffle a steward around or "work around" him in a way that he or she can't see the violations. That's Management 101. Know what helped me convince another guy to file? My $200 grievance settlement check. Hours slowly getting cut on my PT shift because sups start working, get away with it, and do more and more. Those 10-15 minutes of OT two or three days a week shrink to none and the paychecks shrink, as well. When you explain management is stealing food off your table by working it puts it in different terms than when someone says "but they make my job easier!"

4. Good luck. There will always be some animosity between FT/PT. I don't get in on it because I'll get my shot eventually (that's how seniority works); the only time it bugs me is when FT union members (very few of them) openly advocate two-tiered wage or health & welfare proposals because they already got theirs'. Or when a scab gets a FT slot ahead of a dues paying member..

blue efficacy

1. Many PT are there for the benefits and would prefer to spend as little time there as possible.
2. Some people like occasional time off, even if it is unpaid. If you are making $32 and don't light your cash on fire or have a "needy" S/O you can afford to do this.
3. Convince them that the retailiation they get from management as well as having to cover their butts from that point forward will be worth it. Unless it is an extreme case it probably won't be.
4. We can stop that by going back in time and not voting for a contract that creates an obscene rift that you won't see at any non-union job (or most union jobs for that matter!)