we better hope this doesn't happen

Kevin211

When this gets passed along with the new section for Economic hard times, You will then learn that if you are laid off, you will no longer be allowed to bumb into another classification.

Ms.PacMan

Two-tiered wage system doesn't sound too bad now, does it?
No, it never sounds good because you are eroding your pay over time for that specific job through attrition. Lower paid, different job classifications, with clearly defined job descriptions, would be a better alternative. But that's kind of what happened with UPS Freight and it sounds as though feeders are losing jobs. Is it because they are unable to keep track of whose moving what?

Teamsters will probably want to unionize Cartage at a lower pay (than feeders - but higher than their pay now) and be perfectly happy with the arrangement.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
It would be nice to see Air Freight moved to Gateways by actual UPSers. It's been contracted for as long as I can remember. Maybe something like this would remedy that problem. Seems like a good thing.

raceanoncr

Before everyone gets crazy over this, think it through. I see this as an opportunity for BOTH UPS and the Teamsters.

Today, there are three seperate feeder networks (UPS Small package, Freight, and Cartage). From an overall perspective, not allowing one unit to move the goods of the other is not the most efficient way to go. That is clear.

Allowing goods to be moved by different units has to potential to lower UPS cost and raise its flexibility to operate.

So, take advantage of that. Take some of those additional profits and build that into the next contract.

Rather than fight this, turn it into a win-win. Go get your fair share.

-man, I agree with this, that allowing all separate companies to "criss-cross" or haul MTs past or to same destination where a load could be hauled by one of "our" companies is not the most efficient way to go. It is clear. I also agree that it could help UPS lower costs and raise its flexiblity.

But, you also said in your post that you see it as an opportunity for BOTH UPS and the Teamsters. I don't see anywhere in this post where the Teamsters is benefited.

Here, and again I say HERE, that issue was raised with the former Overnite drivers, now UPSF. Conversations went something like this:

Well, now, since we're both unionized (UPSF and UPS parcel, that is) and the company is gonna treat us as one unit, that is we can haul each others stuff, then seniority is gonna prevail also. Correct? Meaning when one of us (parcel) is laid off, we can go over and take one of your runs, right?

Most of us had/have more seniority than the local UPSF guys. That created quite a stir, to say the least.

There were many more issues that I don't have time to relate but will if pressed. My point, is that AT THIS TIME, there were going to be alot of Teamster problems.

Is UPS gonna unionize Cartage? Is UPS gonna bring UPSF wages on a par with UPS parcel? Is there gonna be ONE Master contract with UPSF, UPS and UPS Cartage?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic here but prove to me that this could be a win-win fror UPS AND the Teamsters. I've been around UPS and life long enough to see there IS gonna be myriad of problems WHEN this happens. And, I know, it will.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
UPS Cartage employees are unionized at my local.

When will Upstate realize a two-tiered wage system will kill the union at UPS? Probably not before he retires (which is all he cares about), but over the next few decades it will erode confidence. He sounds just like the Feeder drivers out of my local.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I would never vote for two-tier wages. You're only putting pressure on your own job and wages if you are in favor of this. It may not happen right away, but you can bet it will eventually. Not a good tactic to cut your own throat.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would never vote for two-tier wages. You're only putting pressure on your own job and wages if you are in favor of this. It may not happen right away, but you can bet it will eventually. Not a good tactic to cut your own throat.

I'm as good as gone if people vote in a two tiered pay scale. I have 25-30 years left here. All of us younger guys with years left but are full scale pay wise will have a monster target on our backs.

A

anonymous6

im sorta glad the 97 strike happened. been the proverbial ANT since saving and saving for rainy days.

happybob

Feeders
I had an oportunity to discuss this with a Feeder Sup once and came away thinking there may be a way to save the company some money. UPS Freight picks up an ltl thats moving coast to coast, with half a trailer. Why can't we have the UPS Freight Driver bring that load to a Package Hub? Our Union Loaders get to load the remainder of the trailer with packages. We have a Package Division Feeder Driver bring it to the rail and a Package Division Feeder Driver take it off the destination railyard and bring it to the end location package hub. Its packages are then unloaded by Package Division Unloaders and the Freight Division Driver gets his trailer and brings it to the final destination. Is this a win-win for all of us? These type of moves I can support, but will the Teamsters Union mess it up. Maybe with language that allows our half empty trailers to be diverted to the Freight Division and they get to do all the Feeder Driving? Our mission as employees must always be to find ways to make more money for the company since this secures our future! We can not however allow the company to divert work away from the Package Division and into the Freight/Cartage Division, since we know this will end up in a loss of jobs from the Division that made this company what it is today.

raceanoncr

I had an oportunity to discuss this with a Feeder Sup once and came away thinking there may be a way to save the company some money. UPS Freight picks up an ltl thats moving coast to coast, with half a trailer. Why can't we have the UPS Freight Driver bring that load to a Package Hub? Our Union Loaders get to load the remainder of the trailer with packages. We have a Package Division Feeder Driver bring it to the rail and a Package Division Feeder Driver take it off the destination railyard and bring it to the end location package hub. Its packages are then unloaded by Package Division Unloaders and the Freight Division Driver gets his trailer and brings it to the final destination. Is this a win-win for all of us? These type of moves I can support, but will the Teamsters Union mess it up. Maybe with language that allows our half empty trailers to be diverted to the Freight Division and they get to do all the Feeder Driving? Our mission as employees must always be to find ways to make more money for the company since this secures our future! We can not however allow the company to divert work away from the Package Division and into the Freight/Cartage Division, since we know this will end up in a loss of jobs from the Division that made this company what it is today.

Boy, are you in for it here.

I ain't even gonna touch this one.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sad to say but I believe this very much. FedEx is so much more cost effective in feeders or over the road. Hopefully something can change and we can unionize FedEx. There tractor trailer drivers are at least 14$ cheaper.

Listen you!! I am proud over-the-street driver for FedEx Ground. Back home in Krblickystan, I drive donkey cart for 15 grebniks per month, and now at Ground I make 400 grebniks per month!! All the other drivers be mad with me because I cannot stay in lane or because I drive 85 mph on black ice or in the fog like back home. Plus, I do it on bald tires because I have big hairy brass ones. Best thing to do when driving wiggle-wagons is to slam on brakes when first box empty and back box full. That way I get to check back trailer when it comes up next to me. Haha on you.

I say "ptooey" on safety rules and how many hours you say I can drive. I drive whenever I want as long as I want, just like back home. We crush you at Big Brown company with poop-colored trucks. I say haha on you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
so you have said...over and over ad nauseum.

And so you have defended...over and over ad nauseum. I think that Big Brown is gearing-up to try and cut their labor costs to be more competitive with Ground, but they won't be able to do it. The Ground feeder driver with 1-2 years experience (if even that) vs. a 20-year professional UPS Teamster making $32 per hr? When I was a seasonal feeder driver it took 20 years of seniority to hold feeders, and I suspect it isn't much different now.

I just wonder how FedEx will fare on it's Federal CSA score after they tally-up all the wrecks Ground semis are involved in.