We do $100K/year with UPS, but we can't get our invoices mailed to us.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
no worries i can talk about another service where dim factor is not applied, yet small package picks it up at freight discounts. have faith.
Thats all well and good. You talk, you sell the customer on the service. All is good in Brownsville.

Then comes the disconnect. This little revenue clerk, who has been told that if she finds a lot of "revenue enhancements" might work her way into actually working for UPS, is jumping on the package car before it even is parked. She measures and remeasures different package different ways, and feverishly writes stuff down on her clip board.

MR PVC, who you sold on this service because this is exactly what he needed, begins to get bills like he has been getting for the last few months, and UPS gets their revenue enhancements.

So what is going to stop the overbilling?

See, the reason I asked was the lawyers group here had the same problem. Flat rate for a letter, regardless of what it weighs, as long as it fits in the letter, and is paperwork.

All they did was send packets of paperwork to the federal courts around the USA. Each area had its flat rate. But then our revenue enhancement department began sending them bills for the weight instead of the flat rate promised. After two weeks, they went FedEx, and have been sending their 150-250 letters a week through their service.

So I do have a vested interest in knowing how to stop the overbilling.

ground with freight pricing....CWT is old news, brah!
thats nice. Would be better if those that knew would let others in on the secret. How are we suposed to know what the customer can use UPS for if we dont know.

d

FlexPVC

Just an update and a few comments.

My rep has been contacted by either some people here, or some people who relayed the msg from some people here. He contacted me and is coming out to see us next week and says he can fix the problems. I'm not confident, but I do think he understands the gravity of the situation.

So thanks to everyone for their help.

bentherdontat.. Yes, I thought of the same thing two pkgs "stuck" together. I also learned about 3rd party companys assigned to this task. There does need to be a program to police abusers of the system, (I am sure there are many) but frankly the system in place does not seem to be it for us. There is incentive for the 3rd party company to inflate their "oversize" count to justify their service. There is no incentive for them to be accurate. If they don't find any, UPS discountines the service. But if they "find" lots, then they justify their charges to UPS. We weight and measure every pkg. I might be off a pound due to scale differences, and I round down if it's under 1/2", ie 14-1/4 goes in as 14 but 14-3/4 goes to 15. On average we can't be more than 1" total of all three sides on any pkg.

Dannyboy.. "who sold us on this service?" I didn't know we had a choice. I do not recall signing up for someone to measure each of our pkgs and overbill us for some. :) How do I get off this plan?

24into11 & barnyard.... I am mostly a very patient person. Partly due to my nature, but also due to the fact that we have a business to run and I spend most of my time running it. This issue keeps popping up... so I fire off an email or make a phone call and then "delegate it." The problem is this time that has not worked. Also we were with DHL before UPS and I waited 2 years with them to get us a printer and software. (They never did, which was one of the reasons we switched to UPS. As it turns out, that was a good idea. :) Also shows you why DHL is no longer in business domestically.)

On the issue of "hundred weight" or whatever you call it. Here is a true story. One of our vendors always ships us UPS. So I told him to put it on our account. So he sent us an order. We get the UPS bill. $404! We previously put in the same order and he only charged us $245 for shipping. When I asked the shipper about it he said he was only charged $245 for the prev. shipment. So why then was I charged $404? As it turns out, he has the 100 weight deal and we did not. (Still don't.) I know I could have had this shipped via truck for about $165-$185 because we get pallets in all the time from CA and that's all we pay. Back long ago I used to ship books and there was a deal from UPS (or it might have been Fedex....) but if you had multiple boxes going to the same address on the same invoice, you got a good discount. Good enough that it competed with LTL on most large orders. Whatever happened to that?

To everyone I really want to thank you. It's been very helpful to find several sets of ears open. :) I really hope next week gets this resolved.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Yes, can you tell me more about this so I know what to ask my rep for?

How does it work?

I sent a PM to you...sorry for the delay.

Ground with Freight pricing -

it is for shipments between 150 and 500 lbs. If the boxes or product are within the UPS small package guidlines, UPS will give you a "freight price", but you will send it with the brown truck.

For instance - you negotiate at 70% discount with UPS Freight. Shipments would usually go on a pallet.

200 lbs - UPS Freight (on a pallet) 70% discount might be $100.
200 lBS - UPS ground (priced with the freight discount) might be $85.

so essentially you use the negotiated freight rate, but send it via small package. dimensional weight is not applied to the individual packages like if they went normal ground on hundredweight.

I hope this makes sense - this will be a game changer in our industry, something FedEx can not offer.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/sh...ch_pos=1&srch_phr=ground+with+freight+pricing

Note: UPS Ground (Freight Pricing) offers an LTL pricing structure to customers who ship multiple packages to the same address on the same day using UPS Ground. This contractual service is available only to customers who receive an Automatic Daily Pickup and who have a signed UPS Freight® LTL Statement of Agreed Pricing.

-------

and for the drivers - I'm sure we PCM'd you all on this when talking about UPS freight...maybe pay attention? ;)

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Thats all well and good. You talk, you sell the customer on the service. All is good in Brownsville.

Then comes the disconnect. This little revenue clerk, who has been told that if she finds a lot of "revenue enhancements" might work her way into actually working for UPS, is jumping on the package car before it even is parked. She measures and remeasures different package different ways, and feverishly writes stuff down on her clip board.

MR PVC, who you sold on this service because this is exactly what he needed, begins to get bills like he has been getting for the last few months, and UPS gets their revenue enhancements.

So what is going to stop the overbilling?

See, the reason I asked was the lawyers group here had the same problem. Flat rate for a letter, regardless of what it weighs, as long as it fits in the letter, and is paperwork.

All they did was send packets of paperwork to the federal courts around the USA. Each area had its flat rate. But then our revenue enhancement department began sending them bills for the weight instead of the flat rate promised. After two weeks, they went FedEx, and have been sending their 150-250 letters a week through their service.

So I do have a vested interest in knowing how to stop the overbilling.

thats nice. Would be better if those that knew would let others in on the secret. How are we suposed to know what the customer can use UPS for if we dont know.

d

danny, all i can say is when human are invloved, mistakes will happen. When there are no humans involved, mistakes will happen. you dont have to always see the ugly. some customers do abuse our system and put 1 pound for every package- who is to say they should get away with it? we do need to make a profit.

As far as the lawyers, I have no idea what you are talking about. you get a flat rate on letters (no weight limit) as long as you are using UPS packaging. maybe they were using their own envelopes...that wont get the letter rate. letter rate only good on air products.

so...mistakes will happen. once you understand that, they can be fixed. see my post above. this is a new service.

FlexPVC

I sent a PM to you...sorry for the delay.

Ground with Freight pricing -

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/sh...ch_pos=1&srch_phr=ground+with+freight+pricing

Note: UPS Ground (Freight Pricing) offers an LTL pricing structure to customers who ship multiple packages to the same address on the same day using UPS Ground. This contractual service is available only to customers who receive an Automatic Daily Pickup and who have a signed UPS Freight® LTL Statement of Agreed Pricing.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. :)