"We don't hire your kind, go home."

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by GoBigBlue, Jul 23, 2014.

1. GoBigBlue

GoBigBlue New Member

I showed up for my appointment today with 5 other people. I'm 17 and a senior in high school, the online app requires a minimum age of 17. I applied to work the Twilight shift and the system took my app and scheduled an appointment for me. I am able to work through the entire 4p-10p window which is what it said online. However, the HR Rep said "You can only work for UPS if I'm set up through a co-op program with my school district and that's an AM shift." Thereafter she asked if I applied and I said I knew nothing about it and her response was "We don't hire your kind, go home." That's ridiculous, I'm able to work the Twilight shift, I met the online systems minimum age, drove 30 miles all the way into the boonies to go to the recruitment center only to be told to go home? I didn't deserve to be treated like that at all. Is the information the HR rep gave me correct?
  2. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

Yes. Yes it is

Sent using BrownCafe App
  3. brownrod

brownrod Active Member

if you think that is bad then you ain't seen nothing yet. UPS is probably not for you. move along.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. ChickenLegs

ChickenLegs Safety Expert

You were treated completely unprofessional and deserve better.
  5. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

6. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

yeah, with all due respect, If this really upset you, your skin is way too thin to work here. Being berated on the job is pretty commonplace, from what I've seen. Having said that, my son worked in the hub when he was in high school, and he got off around 10pm, if I remember correctly.
  7. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

I was hired about a month before I graduated during my senior year of high school. That being said, each HR operation has individual hiring practice. I would re-apply after you graduate.
  8. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

People with sensitive feelings or who are easily offended won't last long at brown. Burger King is probably hiring :)
  9. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

And they make you feel like a King. You can even wear a crown!
  10. bleedinbrown58

Ooohhh...a crown....Why was I not informed?? Think they'll hire my kind at BK??? lol
  11. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

They might require you to wear pants. ..... Unlike your other job?
  12. bleedinbrown58

I haven't worn pants to ups in years. Polar vortex....oh it's snowing? I still wear shorts....lol
  13. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Sent using BrownCafe App
  14. UPSer171

UPSer171 New Member

When I first applied, I told them I was still in high school and could work twilight like what you said above. They pretty much gave me the "We will call you" answer. Other than that keep applying if you still want in. I kept doing that and I finally got in. Now I'm already training to go driving.

Sent using BrownCafe App