We need to be removed from the Railway Labor Act...NOW!

Broke

As it inches closer to decision time on whether or not we will remain under the RLA, what will Fedex do next? Here's a list of what they've done already

1. Threaten to cancel Boeng orders.

2.Claim that most workers don't want a union, but if this bill passes, it will reduce reliability.

3. Create brownbailout.com

4. Claim that if this bill passes, a union will vote itself in, and one city could hold the entire operation hostage.

5.Claim that SFA scores are high.

6. Claim that if this bill passes, then overnight shipping rates will skyrocket.

7. Fred claims that if this bill passes, then he no longer will invest in the Express division.

Now, certainly, this isn't all the crap that's come out over the last year and a half, just some of it. The funny thing about all of this is that we're all supposed to be happy, but Fred is selling this as if the union just walks in without a vote and we just automatically go on strike the next day. What will this psycopath come up with next? Surely the public and the lawmakers can see through all of this right?

FedExer267

who knows what the voted officals see. It dosent usually concern them unless there are some added dollars.. But it is true all FedEx employees are happy thats why the come to work hahaha ya right we come to work to get a check. If they truly want to make a diffrence they can remove you from RLA and do whatever it takes to end the contractor scam so decent people can make a living instead of draining the government for food stamps and health care. Open your eyes we are not happy and you allowing Smith to get away with murder might make you richer but makes us wanna vote you out of office..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As it inches closer to decision time on whether or not we will remain under the RLA, what will Fedex do next? Here's a list of what they've done already

1. Threaten to cancel Boeng orders.

2.Claim that most workers don't want a union, but if this bill passes, it will reduce reliability.

3. Create brownbailout.com

4. Claim that if this bill passes, a union will vote itself in, and one city could hold the entire operation hostage.

5.Claim that SFA scores are high.

6. Claim that if this bill passes, then overnight shipping rates will skyrocket.

7. Fred claims that if this bill passes, then he no longer will invest in the Express division.

Now, certainly, this isn't all the crap that's come out over the last year and a half, just some of it. The funny thing about all of this is that we're all supposed to be happy, but Fred is selling this as if the union just walks in without a vote and we just automatically go on strike the next day. What will this psycopath come up with next? Surely the public and the lawmakers can see through all of this right?

The funny thing about the Boeing orders is that Smith may be stuck with them anyway. The changes to the RLA voting will make unionizing much easier but the language in the Boeing contract was very specific to the RLA exemption. So if he keeps his exemption, which isn't going to be worth nearly as much as before, he's on the hook for the 777's.

Isn't it amazing just how far Fred and FedEx will go to try an avoid a union when we're all so happy and content that none of us want one? What would that say to someone looking at the situation logically instead of emotionally? The apologists get on here and defend the very actions that have screwed us over and over again. It's almost like a mass Stockholm Syndrome, where the victim actually ends-up defending the kidnapper. It makes no sense, but that's exactly what is happening.

Save your money Fred!! Since you "know" we hate the unions and are completely satisfied with our careers, just drop all of the threats, political pay-offs, and sneaky maneuvers. You've been so wonderful to us that we are going to literally burn all of those union cards in a little pile to show you that we're onboard with your whole program.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe it's not mass Stockholm Syndrome. Maybe there are alot of people who simply don't see things as being that bad. Maybe they see you as a disgruntled rabble rouser appeasing your own ego/inferiority complex (to UPS). Maybe they just aren't that into you. Or maybe everything you say is true and you get a union and Fred holds true on his threat to gut Express.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe it's not mass Stockholm Syndrome. Maybe there are alot of people who simply don't see things as being that bad. Maybe they see you as a disgruntled rabble rouser appeasing your own ego/inferiority complex (to UPS). Maybe they just aren't that into you. Or maybe everything you say is true and you get a union and Fred holds true on his threat to gut Express.

Maybe you're a one-dimensional thinker who only sees this situation as a means of adding to your revenue stream. In other words, maybe you're an opportunist who doesn't really know what he's talking about. Where did you get your psychology degree? Oh, that's right...you don't have one, so you're talking out your rear end again. Maybe you are just a vulture waiting to feed on the FedEx carcass, or maybe you could care less about those of us who work at Express. Either way, all it seems you care about is your bottom line, which makes you Fred's kind of guy.

Last edited:

Broke

If there aren't very many unhappy people at Fedex, then Fred does need to save his money and allow the bill to pass. Maybe we are one big happy family.

As for your other possibility, Why would Fred gut his biggest money maker? Really?

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe you're a one-dimensional thinker who only sees this situation as a means of adding to your revenue stream. In other words, maybe you're an opportunist who doesn't really know what he's talking about. Where did you get your psychology degree? Oh, that's right...you don't have one, so you're talking out your rear end again. Maybe you are just a vulture waiting to feed on the FedEx carcass, or maybe you could care less about those of us who work at Express. Either way, all it seems you care about is your bottom line, which makes you Fred's kind of guy.
No. As I've said before, it really doesn't matter to me one way or another. This is recreation for me. I'm fascinated by the possible outcomes. I want to see you unionize. I want to see the company's reaction. The only one dimensional thinking around here is by those thinking they can force the company into a certain action with a union. By my calculation, for that to have worked it would have had to take place three or more years ago. As it stands now, the time it takes to get a union off the ground is more than enough for Fred to limit it's impact.

FedExer267

what no one seems to understand when the union sits down to negotiate your contract, They are going after job security for you which equals more members for them. Fred may and try to move some stuff to ground but once express walks they will get back that volume because it will be in the contract. Furthermore if you have to walk for a week or two who delivers the packages. Express will be on hold no one will deliver the packages out of fear for themselves. Ground drivers want do it I will not participate in being a scab because I am already considered one. I for one with alot of other ground drivers will NOT work harder for what I get paid. There is alot in a union contract besides pay and benefits job security is a big one and I bet after you guys walk for just a few days Fred will realize he cant screw you because then nothing gets delivered and he loses big time.

bbsam

Staff member
what no one seems to understand when the union sits down to negotiate your contract, They are going after job security for you which equals more members for them. Fred may and try to move some stuff to ground but once express walks they will get back that volume because it will be in the contract. Furthermore if you have to walk for a week or two who delivers the packages. Express will be on hold no one will deliver the packages out of fear for themselves. Ground drivers want do it I will not participate in being a scab because I am already considered one. I for one with alot of other ground drivers will NOT work harder for what I get paid. There is alot in a union contract besides pay and benefits job security is a big one and I bet after you guys walk for just a few days Fred will realize he cant screw you because then nothing gets delivered and he loses big time.[/QUOTE

Do you realize how long after a union is recognized it would be before they even began negotiating a contract?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I bet after you guys walk for just a few days Fred will realize he cant screw you because then nothing gets delivered and he loses big time.

That's absolutely right.

He is NOTHING without us guys and gals out there doing all the dirty work day in and day out.

Then let's see what happens to the price of his stock.

FedExer267

bbsam as soon as a union is recognized it wont be long. What you dont seem to realize is this plan has been in the works for awhile they want members. They want Fed Ex and I am hard pressed to believe anyone will have a problem with walking to get what they deserve. I think the reality may be you as a contractor know if said job security is in the contract ( you know it will be) there goes your extra volume. The union will not let FedEx screw couriers out of their jobs. Nothing wakes up Corporate quicker than a walk..

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam as soon as a union is recognized it wont be long. What you dont seem to realize is this plan has been in the works for awhile they want members. They want Fed Ex and I am hard pressed to believe anyone will have a problem with walking to get what they deserve. I think the reality may be you as a contractor know if said job security is in the contract ( you know it will be) there goes your extra volume. The union will not let FedEx screw couriers out of their jobs. Nothing wakes up Corporate quicker than a walk..
Actually this is a question. Say Express goes to work tomorrow and they have a union in place by the end of the week. Fine. The company and union start negotiating. A recent thread on BC points out that the teamsters are only now suggesting to a mediator that membership move toward a strike vote for aircraft mechanics. They have been without a contract since 2006. So if a company can drag out negotiations like that, what plans are they able to put into place in that time? Or does the new union membership skip the negotiations, make demands and stage a strike the following week?

bbsam

Staff member
Oh. And I'm doing fine without the extra volume. I'd be more than happy to have it, but I won't go broke without it either.

FedExer267

when they are getting there foot in the door they are going to do everything they can to meet the needs of the drivers. The union will push and yes if fedEx dosent budge they will walk. We all know that no one gets what they want but there is always a medium that will work for both sides. Their motivation is 275,000 new members they will be on it. Just like back in the day at UPS they had already starting negotiating before the end of the prior contract when the day came to start the new contract and UPS was dragging their feet they walked it took 2 weeks but the drivers were happy in the end. Its nothing personal it s business and if we are busting are butts day in and day out we all want to know we can pay our bills feed our children put some money away and have benefits and retirement . If you work for a living you deserve that piece of mind.

bbsam

Staff member
when they are getting there foot in the door they are going to do everything they can to meet the needs of the drivers. The union will push and yes if fedEx dosent budge they will walk. We all know that no one gets what they want but there is always a medium that will work for both sides. Their motivation is 275,000 new members they will be on it. Just like back in the day at UPS they had already starting negotiating before the end of the prior contract when the day came to start the new contract and UPS was dragging their feet they walked it took 2 weeks but the drivers were happy in the end. Its nothing personal it s business and if we are busting are butts day in and day out we all want to know we can pay our bills feed our children put some money away and have benefits and retirement . If you work for a living you deserve that piece of mind.

To simplify the question: How long does it take to get union representation and get the negotiations done? I would be surprised if the real answer is in weeks. I'm guessing closer to a year.

FedExer267

To simplify the answer : its quicker than you think. It wont take a year however it wont take 2 weeks either You have to allow for negotiations to happen FedEx stalls Express walks it will be wrapped quickly after that. About 3 months. They want those 275,000 members wouldnt that be enough motivation for you.

bbsam

Staff member
To simplify the answer : its quicker than you think. It wont take a year however it wont take 2 weeks either You have to allow for negotiations to happen FedEx stalls Express walks it will be wrapped quickly after that. About 3 months. They want those 275,000 members wouldnt that be enough motivation for you.
Still not trying to argue, but when has contract negotiation ever been that fast? I repeat that UPS aircraft mechanics have been negotiating theirs for years. The 275,000 members would already be union members, they just wouldn't have a contract. It's not a question of motivation, it's a question of process, one that seems to take a good long time. Even after, say 3 months of stalling by Fred, the process would then move to having a mediator. Nothing about any of this is a fast break.

FedExer267

I understand where you are coming from however if they walk Fred will wrap it up quickly. The last thing he wants is no production, each day they are on strike is going to send more and more customers to UPS and I think even Fred maybe smart enough to figure that out. Either way it will be intresting to see it play out. Usually when you walk you end up with a little more int that contract as well because now you have them by the shorts. I dont think of you as arguing I think of us both having a opinion and that what this forum is for right:peaceful:

bbsam

Staff member
I understand where you are coming from however if they walk Fred will wrap it up quickly. The last thing he wants is no production, each day they are on strike is going to send more and more customers to UPS and I think even Fred maybe smart enough to figure that out. Either way it will be intresting to see it play out. Usually when you walk you end up with a little more int that contract as well because now you have them by the shorts. I dont think of you as arguing I think of us both having a opinion and that what this forum is for right:peaceful:
The only thing I think you are missing is the intervention of the Federal mediator. Once they become involved, it seems that the membership doesn't get to walk as long as the "good faith" talks are going on.

FedExer267

Yes they do have the mediator get involved as they had with UPS. The goal is to not interupt business. Ups was stubborn the drivers walked. I think you can agree that we all know Fred will be stubborn and if a week goes by with out in headway what can the mediator do? They will walk and then things will get resolved. I also believe this is JMO Fred will take it as far as he can once they walk you will see a different Fred because he wont want business interupted for long. He will test the waters to see what he can get away with any CEO would its human nature.