We need to be removed from the Railway Labor Act...NOW!

bbsam

Staff member
A week? Did you say a week? It takes a months for a company and union simply to decide on a venue and topics to be addressed let alone make any headway. Remember, lawyers will be involved on both sides. If your vision of what a union can do is prevalent at express, I think you and others will be sorely disappointed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When UPS and the Teamsters gear up to negotiate a new National Master Agreement they will usually start no later than one year before the expiration date of the current agreement. This is done to alleviate customer concern of a potential work stoppage. It wouldn't surprise me if they started even earlier this time as 2013 promises to be a contentious negotiation process as I think UPS intends to have us begin paying for a portion of our healthcare . You should also keep in mind that in addition to a NMA there are local supplements which address needs and concerns unique to that area. For example, here in Upstate NY we have procedures in place to deal with snow emergencies which obviously would not apply to employees in Florida. The bid process varies from area to area.

I think you guys should plan on at least a year between being given the right to unionize and the ratification of a contract--it would more likely be closer to 18-24 months.

Also, don't think that you are irreplaceable. FedEx has technology in place, through your handheld scanners, to hire replacement drivers. They can also easily divert volume to Ground.

bbsam

Staff member
When UPS and the Teamsters gear up to negotiate a new National Master Agreement they will usually start no later than one year before the expiration date of the current agreement. This is done to alleviate customer concern of a potential work stoppage. It wouldn't surprise me if they started even earlier this time as 2013 promises to be a contentious negotiation process as I think UPS intends to have us begin paying for a portion of our healthcare . You should also keep in mind that in addition to a NMA there are local supplements which address needs and concerns unique to that area. For example, here in Upstate NY we have procedures in place to deal with snow emergencies which obviously would not apply to employees in Florida. The bid process varies from area to area.

I think you guys should plan on at least a year between being given the right to unionize and the ratification of a contract--it would more likely be closer to 18-24 months.

Also, don't think that you are irreplaceable. FedEx has technology in place, through your handheld scanners, to hire replacement drivers. They can also easily divert volume to Ground.

Why is it that whenever I say it I'm just supporting a personal agenda or drinking the purple kool-aid?:happy-very::peaceful:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Looks like FedX is declaring victory on the RLA issue at brownbailout.

That would seem to be premature wishful thinking. Even if the $21 million Fred has spent on the RLA keeps his precious exemption, the new RLA voting rules would seem to negate much of it's advantages. Isn't it amazing that Fred needs to spend so much money keeping the union out of a company that doesn't want one. Hmmm.

FedEx courier

I'm in complete agreement. They are showcasing a political expert is predicting the language won't be in the final bill. The funny thing is the article it's referring to mainly focuses on the ridiculous amount of money FX has spent lobbying against the language. Has anybody else noticed the crazy amount of advertising for brownbailout. Almost any site I visit has it as a google ad now with a link.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm in complete agreement. They are showcasing a political expert is predicting the language won't be in the final bill. The funny thing is the article it's referring to mainly focuses on the ridiculous amount of money FX has spent lobbying against the language. Has anybody else noticed the crazy amount of advertising for brownbailout. Almost any site I visit has it as a google ad now with a link.

The homepage of the Browncafe has a link to Brownbailout.com, courtesy of FedEx.

bbsam

Staff member
You think 21 million dollars is alot for advertising?

FedEx courier

Funny the brownbailout argument portrays UPS as a company working behind the scenes to push this issue through silently by "lobbying" when FDX is spending far more "lobbying" against the inclusion of the language in the bill.

quadro

Funny the brownbailout argument portrays UPS as a company working behind the scenes to push this issue through silently by "lobbying" when FDX is spending far more "lobbying" against the inclusion of the language in the bill.
It's about as funny as UPS being Jim Oberstar's biggest contributer.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Exactly. Don't want everyone thinking Fred and FedEx are the only ones that do it.

They all do it. The basic question remains, and that is "Is FedEx properly classified under the RLA"?. The answer to that is a resounding NO. The real crime here is that FedEx has enjoyed an improper competitive advantage for almost 4 decades because Fred S is better at playing the political game than UPS. Kudos to Mr. Smith for being smart, but I don't want to subsidize his advantage out of my wallet any longer than I have to. He's been a beneficiary of the system for a very long time, and now he's crying foul because he's about to get beaten at his own game. Pardon me if I don't shed any tears over this drama, OK?

Fred's era of domination is nearing an end. It's too bad our corrupt political system has allowed him to succeed for so long at our expense.

FedEx courier

They all do it. The basic question remains, and that is "Is FedEx properly classified under the RLA"?. The answer to that is a resounding NO. The real crime here is that FedEx has enjoyed an improper competitive advantage for almost 4 decades because Fred S is better at playing the political game than UPS. Kudos to Mr. Smith for being smart, but I don't want to subsidize his advantage out of my wallet any longer than I have to. He's been a beneficiary of the system for a very long time, and now he's crying foul because he's about to get beaten at his own game. Pardon me if I don't shed any tears over this drama, OK?

Fred's era of domination is nearing an end. It's too bad our corrupt political system has allowed him to succeed for so long at our expense.
Found a good net article that deals with this

http://www.civilrights.org/archives/2010/06/999-fedex-rla.html

FedEx courier

Exactly. Don't want everyone thinking Fred and FedEx are the only ones that do it.
This is only an issue because FEDx has made it an issue. The bottom line is FEDx is scared of their employees having reasonable rights. What reason do they have to care whether employees classifications are changed if everything is peachy?