We were instructed to sound the horn at all Intersections today

jaker

trolling
I would think having 2 hands on the wheel as you approach and enter intersections would be safer being that you would have better ability to initiate evasive actions. But what do I know? I would of been lost had they not sent a message during a down pour stating "its raining, be sure to use wipers".
Or drink water on hot days ( never get that one any other time of the year ) also get plenty of sleep for work the next day ( would have never known that ) I am just glad we don't have to answer those stupid safety tip of the day messages

Jigawatts

Agreed, many cities and towns have ordinances in place to counter unnecessary horn honking.
Isn't there a Mitch Hedberg joke for this situation?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Get the guys together and when ya'll are all leaving the bldg, lay on the horns. Blow the crap out of them and check them real real good. Its been deafening in our hub at times when they pull this kind of nonsense. Do it often enough to let them know that when it comes down to it, ya'll are all calling bull**** on them.

There's your answer. We used to do this when big wigs would come into our buildings flapping their peacock feathers. Simplify everything down to the lowest level. Safety, right? You can NEVER be too safe, It seems that is what the safety manager who charged this fellow is saying. Take that to heart. Every time your package car is moving on UPS property, keep the horn going. You wouldn't want to have a collision on property, right? Then use your horn to be extra sure.

The fatal problem with this solution is today's UPS drivers (as indicated on this forum) have no solidarity. Hell, you can't even get drivers to agree on how to take a damn lunch. How are you going to convince an entire building to act in unison? You're not. Most drivers will hide their tail between their legs at the first command from management. Most drivers don't know the phone number to their own local, maybe even the name of their steward. So, I'm afraid the above solution is DOA.

A better possible idea might be to talk to some of your more friendlier customers. Customers you trust. Talk to them about calling in 'concerns'. "Yeah, I don't know what the hell your drivers are up to, but if they continue to honk their damn horns around my business, I'm going with Fed-Ex!" This is typically the cry that makes most managers poop their pants. Enough of these calls and your problem may be solved. But again, most drivers now are so intimidated to spend more than a minute with customers, they may be afraid to ruffle any feathers.

I'd just do what they say. If you get a ticket, throw it on your center manager's desk. His instructions, his consequences. And like all instructions, have your steward make him put it in writing, on UPS stationary, with his signature.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The folks in the Ivory Towers came up with this little gem as a result of an accident Y/day.
A car pulled in front of an Oncoming UPS truck,and later told the police he didnt see the UPS truck.The Police found the driver of the car at fault,and issued him a citation. The police also mentioned the UPS driver did nothing wrong,and did took every evasive action to avoid the collision
UPS on the other hand said the Driver 'Failed to Expect the Unexpected" and a Warning Letter has been issued. The Division Safety Manager said that had the UPS driver used his horn APPROACHING the intersection the driver of the car would have seen him,and there would have been no wreck

So.................... in our PCM today we were told that in ALL intersections we were to use the horn to 'make ourselves visible'. I asked about using it at a 4 way stop,or round a bout wouldn't it appear confrontational? I was told I was a professional driver,and to "blow the horn in a non confrontational manner'................... so yeah today i got flipped off at about a dozen times ,but hey i guess i was visible!
728ups,

I didn't here about this.

This type of ridiculous response is a chronic problem.

How was this instruction communicated?

What level of the Ivory Towers did it come from?

Sincerely,
I

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
728ups,

I didn't here about this.

This type of ridiculous response is a chronic problem.

How was this instruction communicated?

What level of the Ivory Towers did it come from?

Sincerely,
I

This was communicated via our center manager ( Whom I DEEPLY respect) ,and it came from the Division Safety manager in Atlanta( not the Altlanta Hub, rather The Corporate Office)

Integrity

Binge Poster
This was communicated via our center manager ( Whom I DEEPLY respect) ,and it came from the Division Safety manager in Atlanta( not the Altlanta Hub, rather The Corporate Office)
728ups,

Was it a printed PCM that he was reading from or a memo of some sort?

Sincerely,
I

Buck Fifty

There's your answer. We used to do this when big wigs would come into our buildings flapping their peacock feathers. Simplify everything down to the lowest level. Safety, right? You can NEVER be too safe, It seems that is what the safety manager who charged this fellow is saying. Take that to heart. Every time your package car is moving on UPS property, keep the horn going. You wouldn't want to have a collision on property, right? Then use your horn to be extra sure.

The fatal problem with this solution is today's UPS drivers (as indicated on this forum) have no solidarity. Hell, you can't even get drivers to agree on how to take a damn lunch. How are you going to convince an entire building to act in unison? You're not. Most drivers will hide their tail between their legs at the first command from management. Most drivers don't know the phone number to their own local, maybe even the name of their steward. So, I'm afraid the above solution is DOA.

A better possible idea might be to talk to some of your more friendlier customers. Customers you trust. Talk to them about calling in 'concerns'. "Yeah, I don't know what the hell your drivers are up to, but if they continue to honk their damn horns around my business, I'm going with Fed-Ex!" This is typically the cry that makes most managers poop their pants. Enough of these calls and your problem may be solved. But again, most drivers now are so intimidated to spend more than a minute with customers, they may be afraid to ruffle any feathers.

I'd just do what they say. If you get a ticket, throw it on your center manager's desk. His instructions, his consequences. And like all instructions, have your steward make him put it in writing, on UPS stationary, with his signature.

I disagree. Never give up the good fight my brother.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Oh.

Well, that's too bad...all those managers who couldn't cut it went on to bigger and better things, and now we have a bunch of people telling us how to do our job whom have never done our job?

All the FT sups in my center have either started out as drivers, or have a certain measure of driving experience. Same goes for my center manager.

So I guess they're taking orders from people who wouldn't cut it as a Peak helper?

That sucks.

We have an excellent management team at our center( Scratch knows my center manager and one of the driver supes,he can vouch for them) and it's a crying damned shame their hands are often tied. Our center manager was very vocal about the fact he disagreed with faulting the driver,but told us he had no choice about the Discipline,or instructing us to sound our horns at each intersection.
I miss the days of the center manager actually RUNNING the Center!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm not blowing the horn at every intersection, thats just stupid. I'm in the same Division as 728ups, we haven't been told this little bit of craziness yet. I remember one morning we all left the building late, with about half of fifty drivers started blowing their horns inside. It was deafening to say the least.

40 and out

Remember**

A driveway is an intersection.:panicsmiley:

In my center every driveway is an intersection. ANY accident is a tier 3. Lady backed out of driveway and hit package car. No damage to package car, only slight damage to her bumper. Driver taken out of service a few days while investigation of accident was conducted. Center charged with TIER 3 accident because package car was moving in an INTERSECTION. Been a couple of years ago so don't know if this is still the policy,seeing how consistent our policies are.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I disagree. Never give up the good fight my brother.

I'm not giving up my fight. I never have. But I now fight for myself and close friends. I'm in an area that always had a strong union presence, but after Hoffa got elected, our power took a big hit. We used to have one of the stronger unions in the nation, but now...well, it sucks. And as a result, the majority of drivers hired after Hoffa were burners or apathetic about fighting management BS. "Hey, I just want to do my job and go home..."

Sound familiar?

I did 21 years in package car, six years as a preloader, and I've been in feeders since March '11. I'm in one of the bigger hubs in the nation, and in just a year and a half, things have gotten progressively worse. Where I work, feeders is now as bad, maybe worse than PC, as far as management harassment goes. Our Feeder manager is a real peach. He'll push around any driver that he thinks he can, and unfortunately, that is a large number of our drivers. When I came back here, I filed and won a grievance against this manager, and since then, he's been watching me. Now this doesn't intimidate me, because I follow all methods, drive under the speed limit and safety is my ONLY priority. Of course, my numbers are bad, according to Big Brother, but my only concern is keeping my rig between the digits of the road.

The big problem, is now, so many new PC drivers come back to feeders with the same mindset that they had in PC. They drive with the hammer down, they skip their meal, they do a piss-poor job pre-tripping their equipment--which is vital in feeders--and they get intimidated by management. These drivers put a huge strain on drivers like me, who do everything by the book. Things are the same in PC, I know, and this message board is proof.

I have given nothing up. But now the 'brotherhood' is a thing of the past. That's just the reality. I fight for myself and my buddies. It used to be, you fought for your buddies, but you also fought for the ones you didn't know, couldn't see and the ones that hadn't come up yet. But those days are gone, I'm afraid.