Wearing Glasses on the Preload

Tomorrow is my first day working for UPS. I am myopic, but I am worried that the physical nature of the job will make wearing glasses very difficult. Any tips? In terms of finances, and time, getting contact lenses is not an option.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Tomorrow is my first day working for UPS. I am myopic, but I am worried that the physical nature of the job will make wearing glasses very difficult. Any tips? In terms of finances, and time, getting contact lenses is not an option.

If you sweat a lot, get some sunglass holder things to put around your neck so your glasses don't fall off. Also carry around a clean rag to wipe the sweat off them when you bend over to pick up packages falling off the belt onto the floor.

Forgot to mention, while
Loading the package cars(if that's what you're doing) watch for packages falling off the top shelf if you double load them on top of one another. You might do it once, but after those nose grips bury in your nose from a 20lb box of bolts falling off a large box, you'll remember next time

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i've worn glasses every day to work, 2.5 years, no idea how i'd do the job without em, even though i practically never wear them outside of work

i've worn glasses every day to work, 2.5 years, no idea how i'd do the job without em, even though i practically never wear them outside of work

I'm exactly the same. I never wear my glasses, but I'm just worried that I may not be able to read certain codes on packages at a distance, and I don't want to look stupid.

brownIEman

We have many employees on our preload that wear glasses. Loaders, unloaders, SPA, Clerk, Sorters, Pick offs you name it. Never heard of a single problem. I would not worry about it.

dillweed

I also wear glasses and can't see to read without them. I have had them get a bit bent and crinkled once or twice.

In addition to the good advice already given I keep an old pair in the car as back-up.

A cleaning rag would ge a great idea and I should use it. I clean mine with the hem of my shirt which is a bad idea since the dirt probably scratches the lenses a bit.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Clean rag, get extra pair asap, and carry a fix-it kit. I am a clutz and still made it through 6.5 years of the feeders, trucks, and outdoor trailer checks. I am hesitant about contacts because of the dust and dirt on preload. It is not a clean environment.

Square

I've worn glasses to work pretty much every day for 6 years without any problems. I second what everyone else is saying about using an old pair. I can definitely tell a difference between the lenses of my work glasses and the glasses I wear outside of work.

UPSGUY72

I'm exactly the same. I never wear my glasses, but I'm just worried that I may not be able to read certain codes on packages at a distance, and I don't want to look stupid.

Don't worry your not going to be to far away from the packages. Anyways there alot of people that wear glasses that work the preload, local sort, and drive for UPS and they don't have a problem with them so don't worry about.