wearing "unofficial" ups gear?

Docparcel79

I was told I had to cover up my "White" under armour shirt with a long sleeve UPS shirt. The DM told my sup that if i wear a long sleeve under shirt, it has to be covered with a long sleeve UPS shirt. That's how bad it's nit picky in our building. It get's seriously cold here in Mass. I agree with a past post about how the PCM's in the summer are about Hydration? What about 0-10 degree tempts with wind chills in the winter? I'm dressing to stay warm!!!:sweating:

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I was told I had to cover up my "White" under armour shirt with a long sleeve UPS shirt. The DM told my sup that if i wear a long sleeve under shirt, it has to be covered with a long sleeve UPS shirt. That's how bad it's nit picky in our building. It get's seriously cold here in Mass. I agree with a past post about how the PCM's in the summer are about Hydration? What about 0-10 degree tempts with wind chills in the winter? I'm dressing to stay warm!!!:sweating:
If it is that cold why would you wear a short sleeve shirt and a long sleeve undershirt. I take full advantage of all the warm clothes I can get on when it gets extreme. Not trying to start a fight, just seems to make sense.

govols019

You smell that?
I am in Florida.

It does not get cold here like it does up north ( and I dont know how you guys manage that!)

On the few times a year that it gets cold-really bad for those of us that are not used to it-I have always worn a hoodie under my jacket with no problem. It is gray and I have had it for many years.

It would not be an issue at all this way except that we are not offered any cold weather items. We are allowed the jacket this way and a few of us have the "lumberjack" UPS hat but we are no longer allowed to order those. We were not even allowed to have the UPS vest as package drivers until a few years ago. My vest still has the name on it from a feeder driver that left it in my building. I had one for years before the othe drivers!

Why would they not let you order vests?

satellitedriver

Not to get to far off subject, but why do we not have a viable raincoat.
Meaning, one that sheds water.
Everything provided by the company will soak up water.
What do Y'all wear in the rain?
PAX

brownrodster

PAX

I have a windbreaker I wear when it gets cold / wet. They never got me a jacket. This windbreaker was begged from someone else.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They now have a raincoat. It sucks. I usually just get wet also. I only care about cold, not wet. If you are wet its raining. When its snowing, its too cold to get you wet. Carrhartt brown hooded sweatshirt under my vest. Not a peep. Warm as toast, and less bulk.

I bought a raincoat from Rhodes back when they were our uniform supply. They had a catalog with numerous items that we could order on own and were allowed to wear them for work. I also have a light windbreaker that came from there. If I remember right, they were the supplier for the first official UPS socks. I guess when UPS dumped Rhodes, they also dumped the license agreement.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Many years ago Scotch Guard came on the market. Anything that you sprayed it on would become water repellant; hat, vest, coat. New drivers would ask me why I didn't look like a drowned rat & I'd tell them cause I made my helper get out in it. They'd look at me funny cause it was April. Then I 'd tell'm my secret!

2Slow

PAX

The cold weather shell isn't too bad. I think it's some kinda generic gore-tex. It's the un-insulated part of the cold weather combination. I like it. It's pretty helpful on really windy days too.

If it's driver release, an umbrella can be a big help. (just sheet em and bag em in the truck)

satellitedriver

I bought a raincoat from Rhodes back when they were our uniform supply. They had a catalog with numerous items that we could order on own and were allowed to wear them for work. I also have a light windbreaker that came from there. If I remember right, they were the supplier for the first official UPS socks. I guess when UPS dumped Rhodes, they also dumped the license agreement.
12 yrs ago I had a Rhodes raincoat and it worked great. Very light weight.
I draped it on the back of my seat to drip off while I made a delivery to HEB.
When I got back to the car someone needed it more than me.
Never was able to replace it, they were off the list of uniform supplies.
I wear a hooded Stearns raincoat now.
Not reg, but I don't get wet.
PAX

rod

Retired 22 years
Trouble with most rain coats is that they don't breath good enough. You end up getting just as wet from sweat (if you are a normal UPS driver) as you would if you didn't wear one.

ups79

Trouble with most rain coats is that they don't breath good enough. You end up getting just as wet from sweat (if you are a normal UPS driver) as you would if you didn't wear one.

You are right on. I still have that rhodes raincoat mainly because I seldom wore it. After the first heavy rain I decided I would just as soon get wet and let it evaporate as to get wet inside that coat and never dry out.

BrownPR215

What Can Brown Do To You!
Although not visible I do wear a brown bullet proof vest embroidered with the new logo since I have a "hood" trip here in Philly. :surprised:

code5

Up here in Canada it can get pretty cold. Just this year I bought bib, downfilled work overalls and they are pretty close to the UPS brown. Cattle farmers are wearing them all the time. They work great.

We are held pretty tight on the uniform standards though. Modifications are only passable when it is extremely cold, otherwise, only issued uniforms are acceptable.

The UPS Canada president toured our parts a couple year ago and we asked him if it was acceptable to wear ski pants. He was pretty outspoken so he said only in extreme cold. They couldn't be bright orange or say "Screw the man" on them. It was a pretty good laugh!

We did get hats made up a while ago from an embroidery company with the logo on them. Not even sure if it was legal or not to re-produce the logo, but they did it for us. Way better than the big farmer style hats issued to us. Mgmt can't even tell the difference, they just fit better.

By the way those "nylon stocking" hats you refer to are called touques here in Canada and everyone wears them.

rushfan

I guess I'm not wearing the official UPS uniform shirt. I ordered 3, after the first wash the logos fell off. I wear the shirts anyway.