Weather in Oklahoma- Tornado

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I am disappointed that a thread showing compassion to others in dire need of assistance has been politicized and bastardized by two members.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
That's great !! The Red Cross always shows up to help in disasters.......

Yes, they do...
My mother asked me to donate to the Red Cross for her Christmas gift. She was touched by RC's response to the shooting at the Temple in Oak Creek, WI. They remained outside the Temple under a pop-up tent in response to the shooting.

They are there for us. And I will designate UW to direct part of my money to the Red Cross during the next campaign.

rod

Retired 22 years
I just saw Wolf Blitzer interviewing some gal holding her little boy. Apparently her house was literally blown away from her and they escaped without a scratch. He said to her "I bet you are thanking God how this turned out" she kind of smiled and said "Not really-I'm an atheist".

stepitup

For Oklahomans...God's speed, God bless!

Do you know what it takes to be an Oklahoman? You probably don’t because to be an Oklahoman is to be nuts, balls-to-the-wall crazy, off-the-charts insane. You have to be.

In Oklahoma, when you pop out of your mama, the doctors give you the once over. They check your eyes, because they know you’re going to have to stare down EF4 tornadoes and not flinch. They check the gravel in your guts, because true grit’s making a living from hard, dry land — molding a life from red clay. And they check your heart, because to be an Oklahoman is to be the smack-dab center of the Heartland.

Then you grow up in Oklahoma with your “Yes, ma’ams” and “No, sirs” and “Ranch, pleases,” and you learn how to drive in a place where you reserve one hand for waving to the neighbors you know and the neighbors you don’t know just quite yet. Your sentences are peppered with words like “hook echo,” “vortex,” “Pushmataha,” “biscuitsngravy” and “might could.”

You go to school and you learn the history of your state, from the Trail of Tears to the land run to the Dust Bowl to the Tulsa Race Riot to April 19, 1995 to May 3, 1999. You understand that you come from misfits and mistakes and pain. A lot of pain. You realize you come from underdog stock. You listen to a lot of Woody Guthrie, and you really get what it means.

At some point, life punches you in the gut for the first time. You watch the hand of God come down, and an entire town disappears off the map.

You fall to your knees and you cry and you spit and you cuss the day and night. And then you get up.

You don’t waste your time asking the heavens why. There’s work to be done.

You see someone else shaking their fists at the sky, so you reach your hand down. And then they get up.

That’s what being an Oklahoman is. Being so goddamned resilient and perseverant that ain’t nothing or nobody can keep you down. I’ve been a lot of places, lived in a few of them, and met many great people. Without minimizing anyone else, Oklahomans are a different breed. When you’re a little guy used to getting kicked, you not only learn to pop back up but you become the first one to reach out to others.

Oklahoma isn’t a place. It’s something in your blood. It’s something that you do. It’s the shirt off your back and a tear in your eye and the giddyup in your soul.

As we watched the wreckage from this latest prizefight with nature, several people asked me if I had people there — in Moore, in Shawnee. The answer is unequivocally yes. Every ever-loving, bless-your-heart mumbler in that grand land is My People. And God help us, My People don’t give up and don’t give in.

klein

Für Meno :)
I just saw Wolf Blitzer interviewing some gal holding her little boy. Apparently her house was literally blown away from her and they escaped without a scratch. He said to her "I bet you are thanking God how this turned out" she kind of smiled and said "Not really-I'm an atheist".

I don't think I would be thanking anyone either. It's still a large dilemma to lose house, home & belongings.
My brother lost everthing here in the 1987 Tornedo. Should he be thanking God that he and his g/friend decided to go for a beer before hitting home (otherwise he would have been in the disaster zone) ?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Since Oklahomas two Senators and most of its congressional delegation voted against disaster relief funding for Superstorm Sandy, I fully expect them to follow through and also vote no for any federal funds for their clean up following the tornado.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Since Oklahomas two Senators and most of its congressional delegation voted against disaster relief funding for Superstorm Sandy, I fully expect them to follow through and also vote no for any federal funds for their clean up following the tornado.

I believe their objections to the NJ and NY Sandy relief was that funds were flowing outside NJ/NY like the DC area and in the Caribbean and elsewhere around the US.
It was the piggybacking practice they objected to.
We'll see what happens here but knowing Congress, some roofs in Maryland and Pennsylvania got damaged by the Moore OK tornado.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I am disappointed that a thread showing compassion to others in dire need of assistance has been politicized and bastardized by two members.

If Bush was still in office I know a lot of people in here and the media would be losing their minds right now. "Wheres bush, wheres FEMA!?! Impeach him now! ". What happened during Katrina? That was a massive compassion and a needing situation. I guess it was alright to bash Bush over that, but no way can you even touch your elected soicalist king. You people are blind.

As for FEMA, I'm glad they came. You know they dont help people with insurance, such bs. You could be straving or thristy and if you have insurance they wont help you.

Btw, Glenn beck has raised over a million dollars for this town. 100% of the donations go to the people in need, what charity ever does that. Most spend 40-60% on their inside. So if you want to give money, give threw 2013 Midwest Tornado Relief - Fundly .