Weather Lines/Recorders

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just a friendly reminder that these aren't legal in most states. If you show-up at your regularly scheduled start time, FedEx needs to pay you. Clean your truck, organize supplies, or simply work as directed. The weather isn't your problem, but Fred wants you to make-up the financial difference for the bad weather.

Don't fall for it. Come-in, and make them find something for you to do, even if that's just sitting in your vehicle.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It was your assertion that the weather lines are illegal in most states.

It is up to you to back up your claim beyond stating that they are illegal in your state.

I'm not going to spend the time looking-up laws for 50 states. I'm aware that forcing employees to be "on-call" without pay isn't legal. Basic labor law. This is essentially what a "weather line" is...on-call. Just curious, do you have them at UPS? I'm thinking definitely not.

I have never heard of any instances where FedEx has sent someone home who shows up for work at their scheduled time and ignores the weather line. If they could, they would, because they are effing cheap. This speaks volumes about the legality of what they are doing. Our management would happily quote policy and send you packing sans pay, except there is no policy...because it isn't legal.

Enlighten me, Dave, and if you want to research all of the state laws, be my guest.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The procedures for weather-related changes to our operation are outlined in our contract supplements. In Upstate NY if they call us an hour or more before our scheduled start time and tell us we are not working we have to use personal time if we want to get paid for the day. There are no provisions that I am aware of for pushing our start time back.

When you make a claim the onus is on you to have the proof to support your claim.

MAKAVELI

The procedures for weather-related changes to our operation are outlined in our contract supplements. In Upstate NY if they call us an hour or more before our scheduled start time and tell us we are not working we have to use personal time if we want to get paid for the day. There are no provisions that I am aware of for pushing our start time back.

When you make a claim the onus is on you to have the proof to support your claim.
What happens if you don't answer the phone?

MAKAVELI

You report to work and are either sent home (without pay) or if you push the issue you are put to work inside the facility for your 8 hours, washing package cars and pushing a broom.
So, basically you are guaranteed 8 hours as long as you don't answer the phone. I think my battery would be dead until I reach the station.;)

Whats in the Box

Calling in a weather line is the same thing as being an on-call hourly waiting for the displaced start times and not getting that pay. This abuse that gone way too long.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Our managers got too lazy to update the weather lines.

Besides, most of us showed up at the regular start time anyway.

friend* Fred!

FedexCares

We have been starting up to two hours late for the past 3-4 weeks due to the weather. We don't use weather lines however, our managers just change the schedule daily before everyone is back at the station in the evening. So most of the time the schedule they put out weekly is garbage as it gets changed almost daily anyways.

Express Courier

We have been starting up to two hours late for the past 3-4 weeks due to the weather. We don't use weather lines however, our managers just change the schedule daily before everyone is back at the station in the evening. So most of the time the schedule they put out weekly is garbage as it gets changed almost daily anyways.
This. And when we show up and clock in they don't fight it. Even if things changed overnight.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Illegal in my state.

Upstate doesn't understand the predatory nature of FedEx. If FedEx can screw you out of an hour or two they will do it...every time. Unlike us, he has a union contract that spells out what happens when there are adverse weather conditions. If the company doesn't hold up their end of the bargain, he goes to his steward and it gets figured out.

Weather lines and recorders are generally illegal because they are essentially making the employee on-call. When your manager tells you Tuesday that bad weather is expected Wednesday and that you should "call the line", they have just made you on-call. You don't know when you start until they tell you.

Let's say you call the line at 0600 and it says come-in at 11:00. Your normal start time is 0630, so you've just lost 4.5 hours of pay. Plus, you've just modified your life to fit the needs of FedEx. They expect your compliance because that is the norm for the company culture. They bark orders, and you follow...without question.

Sorry, Fred, but my time is valuable, and when you put my life on hold so you can save yourself some payroll, I expect to be compensated for that time. I could be doing something I want to do, instead of waiting for some idiot manager to decide for me that my personal time will be spent waiting on FedEx.

Just like the excuses we give to customers, inclement weather is an "Act of God", so we shouldn't be expected to guarantee Mr. Smith any level of performance other than that mutually agreed upon already...our scheduled normal start time.

My station has a weather line, and many of us refuse to use it. As I said, none of us or anyone else in any other station I have ever heard of, has not been paid when they show-up for work per the original schedule. If the CTV/plane is late, I go into Code 43 and tell my manager I'm available to work as directed.

It's that simple.