Weather phone lines are illegal.

!Retired!

Any sources other than people just saying it's illegal?
Our managers have told us that we CAN still punch in at our regular start time, as long as we go see them for instructions on what to do. They would never 'waste' hours if they could make you start later.

FedExRookie

There are some variables from state to state but here is the federal take on it from the US dept of labor http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pdf

Waiting Time: Whether waiting time is hours worked under the Act depends upon the particular circumstances. Generally, the facts may show that the employee was engaged to wait (which is work time) or the facts may show that the employee was waiting to be engaged (which is not work time). For example, a secretary who reads a book while waiting for dictation or a fireman who plays checkers while waiting for an alarm is working during such periods of inactivity. These employees have been "engaged to wait."

On-Call Time: An employee who is required to remain on call on the employer's premises is working while "on call." An employee who is required to remain on call at home, or who is allowed to leave a message where he/she can be reached, is not working (in most cases) while on call. Additional constraints on the employee's freedom could require this time to be compensated.

>waiting to be engaged (which is not work time).

We are waiting to be engaged, which is not work time... Don't get me wrong guys, I would love to get paid instead of waiting, it just doesn't look 'illegal' from what was posted above and anything else I've found on the internet.

FUFred

It's a new Dano.
Do you have purple blood flowing in that purple body?

We are waiting to be engaged, which is not work time... Don't get me wrong guys, I would love to get paid instead of waiting, it just doesn't look 'illegal' from what was posted above and anything else I've found on the internet.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Sorry, but you are "on-call" when you are required to call a recorder. Think of it this way. Instead of being free to do whatever you want, you are tethered to the phone. I've even seen them try and get people go on 13/14 when they come in per the recorder and the CTV is going to be even later than expected. Oh, and it's OK to take 13/14 at the beginning of your shift when it's on their terms. Use Code 43 and don't be a dupe.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
A friend of mine just called from a station in Texas. They were originally told (when calling their weather line) to start at 0830. Time was later changed to 1200. LMAO!! Suckers!!!!

Yeah we were told tomorrow to call the ramp office for our start time. If I'm waking up at 4 AM to call you, I just might as well come in anyway. I'll clean for all I care.

dezguy

Sorry, but you are "on-call" when you are required to call a recorder. Think of it this way. Instead of being free to do whatever you want, you are tethered to the phone. I've even seen them try and get people go on 13/14 when they come in per the recorder and the CTV is going to be even later than expected. Oh, and it's OK to take 13/14 at the beginning of your shift when it's on their terms. Use Code 43 and don't be a dupe.

Isn't it against policy to take a break in your first or last hour?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah we were told tomorrow to call the ramp office for our start time. If I'm waking up at 4 AM to call you, I just might as well come in anyway. I'll clean for all I care.

Exactly. Screw them, and just show-up. They have to pay you and do not accept any crap excuses that you are "required" to call-in for your start time. If you're making a phone call, you are in "on-call" status and should be paid. In fact, they should be paying you from 4 am.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A friend of mine just called from a station in Texas. They were originally told (when calling their weather line) to start at 0830. Time was later changed to 1200. LMAO!! Suckers!!!!

Hearing stuff like that makes me sick, yet there are a lot of people who fall for it. Show-up and use Code 43!!!

whenIgetthere

Better yet, show up a your scheduled start time, when cleaning or whatever they have you do, go into a code 39. Then you can see their heads explode.

CJinx

Sounds like the legality of "weather lines" is dependent on the employment laws of your state. Tread carefully.

SmithBarney

Where I am, many CRRs have transferred in from around the country, and each one has a different story regarding weather/call in lines. I hope it snows this week, snows hard.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Where I am, many CRRs have transferred in from around the country, and each one has a different story regarding weather/call in lines. I hope it snows this week, snows hard.

I've been all around the system over the years, in both cold climates and warm ones, and they all had some version of the recorder scam.

HomeDelivery

ugh... now we're on call until 8am

they don't know if the feeder drivers can make it to the hub; a whole slew of nasty accidents on sunday night during that storm