Weingarten Rights - Right to union representation

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The only problem with that is if the company waits till the only steward available is the one who normally looks the other way. I know when I was steward, their was several that I wouldn't want in a meeting with me. Including a BA. I also, I found screaming and cussing during a meeting did not help resolve anything. Usually just let management hang themselves with what they would say before I filed a grievance for the employee.
That is not a problem with Weingarten or the contract. That is a problem with the union employees not standing up for themselves and getting rid of this POS steward.

He is a steward, and the only one available, you have no choice to use him unless you want to go it alone without a steward.

I cannot understand why employees do not get rid of stewards like this.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I saw the same thing where one steward would be a company yes man who UPS always wanted everyone to use.
If there is more than 1 steward there at the time, the employee has the right to decide which one to use. If he is the only one there, the employee has no choice except to go without a steward.

Get rid of that POS.

PT Car Washer

your PT sup's boss is a center manager. PT sup's boss boss is probably either the Preload Manager or Division Manager.
I assumed the PT sups boss is a FT sup and his boss would be the preload manager. I suppose it all depends on the size of your building. In my building the Center manager is over the Preload manager. Division manager is over everyone.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I would like you to show me where it is in the law that you can deny using an available steward and wait until there is another one present.

I understand that if there is no steward present at the time, management needs to stop the interview and wait until there is a steward present.

I also know, under Weingarten, that if there is more than 1 steward equally available, you do have your choice of which steward to use.

But if there is a steward working, you cannot refuse to use him and wait for another one who may be available later that day.
Read the whole thread please.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I assumed the PT sups boss is a FT sup and his boss would be the preload manager. I suppose it all depends on the size of your building. In my building the Center manager is over the Preload manager. Division manager is over everyone.
Same. PT sup->FT Belt sup->Preload manager->DM

When I got hired as a part timer and worked inside on nights as a loader it was similar, but PT sup->FT Wall sup->Building Night shift manager->DM The building manager oversaw everything. All the FT managers who ran each wall, the sort aisle/unload FT sup, etc.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Read the whole thread please.
I did. You said

By the way, if Weingarten applies and you request a specific steward who isn't available, but they offer you another steward, Weingarten requires that management must end the meeting if you do not agree to the other steward. It would probably piss off a BA and the other steward if you pulled that, but just letting you know about that loop hole in the law.

I took this as meaning that the requested steward was not there yet. If you meant to say that he was there, but management refused to use him, then I apologize and you are correct.

But if the requested steward is not there yet, they can use the steward present and continue with the interview.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
What? Ehff that. It's not your fault the PAL labels were SPA'd to the floor. This guy is an obvious :censored2: so you should call the harassment hotline on him anyway. From now on when he gets in your face, it's completely unprofessional especially if you're on the clock and suppose to be in your work area so grieve him. I know it's hard when you're a people pleaser or non/passive aggressive, but it's going to continue if you don't stand up for yourself. Sorry it happened to you and :censored2: this guys face for treating you this way.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In my building...each center has 2 center manager's...center manager for the drivers and a preload center manager. So, the Preload Manager is over the Preload center manager's...in my building. He would be my PT sup's bosse's boss.

clean hairy

Some will try to catch you off guard by saying "just want to have a minute about a change to your route", or some idle chit chat, THEN try to hit you with a discipline.
Or, they will claim "I will not get a Steward every time I want to speak to you, why do you think there is discipline involved?"
Can't let your guard down, especially when they get friendly out of the clear blue.

PT Car Washer

In my building...each center has 2 center manager's...center manager for the drivers and a preload center manager. So, the Preload Manager is over the Preload center manager's...in my building. He would be my PT sup's bosse's boss.
Two center manager's per Center? Our center manager has two buildings 60 miles apart.

oldngray

nowhere special

In my building the preload had same center manager as the drivers and the rest of each delivery center. 2 center manager's in the building with the preloaders split into the centers they work in.

rod

Retired 22 years
Two center manager's per Center? Our center manager has two buildings 60 miles apart.

The last I heard our center manager had 3 centers about 45 to 60 miles apart. Then again if a modern day center manager has no power to dispatch his center they should be able to handle a dozen centers. Seriously-what does a center manager now days actually do? Years ago we ran our own center with just us drivers 3 days a week. We had a "Lead Driver" who got paid 10 cents more an hour to wrap up the sort and lock up the building when we all left in the morning. Even back then the "Lead Driver" could move stops around between drivers if needed.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

In my building it's PT Sort Sup->FT On car->Center Manager. center manager is very hands off when it comes to the sorts and driver operations. Our on car pretty much runs the facility. Though our center manager is in charge of 3 buildings.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Wrong....even if you work in one of the satellite centers....you have a Division Manager...he runs the show. He's long gone for the day by the time local sort starts.
Dude, aren't you late for work?

Well, idk. I have better things to do with my life than worrying about who is what and what is who. If you don't mind, I have some serious studying to do.

J

jibbs

Well, idk. I have better things to do with my life than worrying about who is what and what is who. If you don't mind, I have some serious studying to do.

I was just gonna hit like or agree and call it a day, but I don't think you really study very often. No reason for that opinion, really, I just don't believe it. :biggrin:

I'm with you on that first sentence, though.