Welcome all new hires.

DRAisawesome

This is some event going on at express. Hiring is through the roof. Many aren't even making it to their first day after training. So then the circle of life starts again. FUNNY TO Watch.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So true.
Our station is starting to look like the county prison.

Almost every route has a "trainee". They go out in the AM all ready to learn about FedEx. When they return in the PM, they just have that look that says "I'm not coming back". Wonder why they never send new hires out with me? Hurts my feelings.

Pretty soon they're going to start picking-up the people with cardboard signs and gas cans who are soliciting for handouts on off-ramps.

BigTex61

I had a "trainee" one day this past week. He looked like a thug rapper wannabe. Could barely speak understandable english, said "no what I'm saying" one trillion times. I almost wanted to dump him somewere. After the pounding my route gave his, he left and didn't even show up for his pm ride along. The pool from which they hire people must be contaminated.

MassWineGuy

I'm still pretty new but am now on my own pm pickup route. We're also hiring. But I don't have the knowledge to know who will last or not. The UPS center I worked at nearby is adding 20 to 30 routes.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm still pretty new but am now on my own pm pickup route. We're also hiring. But I don't have the knowledge to know who will last or not. The UPS center I worked at nearby is adding 20 to 30 routes.

UPS is adding people due to economic growth and a lot of retirees. FedEx is a revolving door. I'd love to compare the retention rates for the 2 companies.

It will be fine

100% turnover at express in August. Hired as many people that left the company. Just reality folks. Hope the hourlies like their OT.
Does that include the whole company or just drivers? Ground package handlers have turnover well over 100%. It's been that way for as long as I've been there though, nothing new.

Brandon Scapin

This is some event going on at express. Hiring is through the roof. Many aren't even making it to their first day after training. So then the circle of life starts again. FUNNY TO Watch.
I started with FedEx Ground 3 months ago & was pretty excited because I thought it would be similar to UPS. Damn was I in for a rude awakening. Lol I was laid off a year ago from a job where I made $65k a year, along with health benefits, 401k, sick pay, paid holidays & paid vacations. When I applied and got the call from a FedEx Ground contractor that he was in need of a driver, I thought the opportunity would lead to a good paying job, but it turned out to be a friend'n joke. I live in Pensacola Fl, & the terminal is in Crestview, Fl, which is a 45 minute drive. The route is in Pensacola. Problem is, I had to drive 45 min to Crestview to get the truck. 45 minutes to Pensacola to run the route. 45 min back to Crestview to return the truck at end of the day and 45 minutes back to p-cola to go home. The contractor paid me a salary of $600. Weekly. I was told up front I'd be off on weekends. But towards the Christmas season, my contractor informed me I'd be working on Saturdays as well. Since I'm salary, I wouldn't make any extra money to work on the weekend. The sorry pay, no benefits, and 3 hr commute back & forth from crestview to pensacola forced me to quit. I heard FedEx Home delivery is just as bad. The hours i was working, no benefits & 3hr commuting was not worth it just to make $35,000 a year before taxes. I don't see how these other drivers do it. Avoid FedEx Ground & Home Delivery like it was Ebola. If you can be patient while waiting on a drivers position, work for UPS. I hear they make about $50k a year starting off.

Last edited:

MassWineGuy

UPS is adding people because we got embarrassed by Amazon last year.

That was my understanding. I don't think UPS nor FedEx would add a ton of staff if they felt they didn't absolutely have to.

100% turnover at express in August. Hired as many people that left the company. Just reality folks. Hope the hourlies like their OT.

Sorry. Are you saying that EVERY Express courier left? Me thinks not.

As bad a company as some say it is, FedEx has never shown a quarterly loss since it began. Success at profits doesn't mean they know how to treat people, though.

DRAisawesome

No it has nothing to do with every express driver left. They started the month severely short handed in handlers and couriers. Say they hired 400. That many handlers and couriers left by the end of the month. Meaning 100% turnover.

STFXG

I started with FedEx Ground 3 months ago & was pretty excited because I thought it would be similar to UPS. Damn was I in for a rude awakening. Lol I was laid off a year ago from a job where I made $65k a year, along with health benefits, 401k, sick pay, paid holidays & paid vacations. When I applied and got the call from a FedEx Ground contractor that he was in need of a driver, I thought the opportunity would lead to a good paying job, but it turned out to be a friend'n joke. I live in Pensacola Fl, & the terminal is in Crestview, Fl, which is a 45 minute drive. The route is in Pensacola. Problem is, I had to drive 45 min to Crestview to get the truck. 45 minutes to Pensacola to run the route. 45 min back to Crestview to return the truck at end of the day and 45 minutes back to p-cola to go home. The contractor paid me a salary of $600. Weekly. I was told up front I'd be off on weekends. But towards the Christmas season, my contractor informed me I'd be working on Saturdays as well. Since I'm salary, I wouldn't make any extra money to work on the weekend. The sorry pay, no benefits, and 3 hr commute back & forth from crestview to pensacola forced me to quit. I heard FedEx Home delivery is just as bad. The hours i was working, no benefits & 3hr commuting was not worth it just to make $35,000 a year before taxes. I don't see how these other drivers do it. Avoid FedEx Ground & Home Delivery like it was Ebola. If you can be patient while waiting on a drivers position, work for UPS. I hear they make about $50k a year starting off.
There's good and bad contractors. You had a pretty bad one. But no contractor is making drivers rich. It's an entry level job and should be seen as one. Those thinking it is anything other than that are delusional. Glad to hear you got out.

!Retired!

Turnover in NY was crazy. I didn't even bother learning the new hires names unless they've been there 3 months. When I moved down South, it was a whole different ballgame.....NOBODY left. In the 2 1/2 years I was there, 2 people 'left' the company. 1 retired and 1 was fired.

whenIgetthere

Turnover in NY was crazy. I didn't even bother learning the new hires names unless they've been there 3 months. When I moved down South, it was a whole different ballgame.....NOBODY left. In the 2 1/2 years I was there, 2 people 'left' the company. 1 retired and 1 was fired.

I volunteered to work yesterday, first Saturday in a long time. I didn't even recognize half the people working because most new employees run PM routes T-friend and work Saturday.