loo·ni·erloo·ni·est

Definition of LOONY[/h]: crazy, foolish

loo·ni·nessnoun
loonynoun

See loony defined for English-language learners »

See loony defined for kids »

[Variants of LOONY[/h]loo·ny also loo·ney \ˈlü-nē\

Examples of LOONY
  • Every family includes someone who's a little loony.
  • <that's got to be the looniest idea I've ever heard>
[Origin of LOONYby shortening & alteration from lunaticFirst Known Use: 1872

moreluck

golden ticket member
They sent my Census form back! AGAIN!!! In response to the question: "Do you have any dependents?" I replied - "12 million illegal immigrants; 3 million crack heads; 42 million unemployable people, 2 million people in over 243 prisons; and 535 more in the U.S. House and Senate." Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer............

Babagounj

Strength through joy
30,000 college students kicked out of food aid program in Michigan
State's new eligibility rules to save $75M; more students got aid than thought

From The Detroit News

wkmac

This was written a few days before the so-called budget/debt ceiling agreement was reached but it touches on another vector of gov't welfare that reaches far beyond it's tax implications on taxpayers.

The New Deal introduced an enormous number of agriculture subsidy programs paved with good intentions to help struggling farmers, create a stable food market and alleviate poverty. While many other industries have been deregulated since the Depression-era reforms, agricultural subsidies have grown. Now considered by some to be America’s largest corporate welfare program, it is obvious that the government has failed to meet its original goals.

The glaring injustices built into farm subsidy policies explain why so many on both the political right and left routinely describe them as immoral. Subsidies reward large commercial enterprises -- in good times and bad -- and shut out small farmers. Developing countries that desperately need to boost agricultural exports cannot compete with subsidized, over-produced crops from wealthy nations. Subsidies also drive up the cost of food for the poor and working families.

Rural communities dependent on farming seem to have the long end of the stick, but this isn’t true. According to an Iowa State University study, the most highly subsidized areas in the United States are seeing little to no economic growth. In counties where farm payments are the biggest share of income, job creation is very weak. This can possibly be attributed to highly subsidized agribusiness buy outs of family farms. It is ironic that farm payments are intended to foster growth but instead they appear to be linked with subpar economic performance.

Though meant to support the incomes of farmers and promote rural economic growth, subsidies are making rich farmers richer. Subsidies don’t usually end up where they are most needed because the top 10 percent of recipients receives 74 percent of the payments. Instead of helping those most in need, farm payments are just another failed government welfare program.

Agricultural subsidy programs are funded by taxpayers’ dollars and end up raising the cost of food for the domestic consumer. In other words, we are paying for subsidies twice over. Even though price supports are intended to stabilize food production and thus prevent wild price swings, a Heritage Foundation research report found that consumers actually end up spending more on food in the long run when all price distorting effects are considered. Commodity subsidies encourage overproduction and lower prices, but the Conservation Reserve Program encourages underproduction and raises prices. Tariffs raise the price of imported food. For example, the sugar program operates as a cartel by controlling prices and limiting imports, which significantly raises the cost of sugar.

Fertile Ground for Farm Subsidy Cuts

klein

Für Meno :)
USA becomes Food Stamp Nation but is it sustainable?

Altogether, there are now almost 46 million people in the United States on food stamps, roughly 15 percent of the population. That's an increase of 74 percent since 2007, just before the financial crisis and a deep recession led to mass job losses.

At the same time, the cost doubled to reach $68 billion in 2010 -- more than a third of the amount the U.S. government received in corporate income tax last year -- which means the program has started to attract the attention of some Republican lawmakers looking for ways to cut the nation's budget deficit.

moreluck

golden ticket member
USA becomes Food Stamp Nation but is it sustainable?

Altogether, there are now almost 46 million people in the United States on food stamps, roughly 15 percent of the population. That's an increase of 74 percent since 2007, just before the financial crisis and a deep recession led to mass job losses.

At the same time, the cost doubled to reach $68 billion in 2010 -- more than a third of the amount the U.S. government received in corporate income tax last year -- which means the program has started to attract the attention of some Republican lawmakers looking for ways to cut the nation's budget deficit.

That's why Obama is called the Food Stamp President!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
(Daily Mail) — A woman encouraged her husband to have sex with a 12-year-old girl so that she would get pregnant and they could claim extra cash benefits.
Alicia Bouchard even sat and watched while her 26-year-old husband had sex with the underage girl at their Florida home.
According to an arrest warrant, the 41-year-old wanted the girl to fall pregnant so that she and her husband would have extra income from state benefits.
Bouchard is alleged to have actively encouraged her husband to sleep with the girl who had been staying at their home in Jackson County, Florida.
The sex and benefits scam began after the girl, who has not been named, told Bouchard that she was sexually active.
Mrs Bouchard is alleged to have persuaded her to sleep with her husband Matt, telling her that ‘the worse that could happen is you would get pregnant’.
Her husband told authorities after his arrest on under age sex charges that it was his wife’s goal that a pregnancy would lead to more income for the household.
Police began investigating the Bouchard’s after they received a complaint that the girl was being sexually abused.
The arrest report does not reveal how the 12-year-old girl came to live with the married couple, but is believed to be a family friend.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
(Daily Mail) — A woman encouraged her husband to have sex with a 12-year-old girl so that she would get pregnant and they could claim extra cash benefits.
Alicia Bouchard even sat and watched while her 26-year-old husband had sex with the underage girl at their Florida home.
According to an arrest warrant, the 41-year-old wanted the girl to fall pregnant so that she and her husband would have extra income from state benefits.
Bouchard is alleged to have actively encouraged her husband to sleep with the girl who had been staying at their home in Jackson County, Florida.
The sex and benefits scam began after the girl, who has not been named, told Bouchard that she was sexually active.
Mrs Bouchard is alleged to have persuaded her to sleep with her husband Matt, telling her that ‘the worse that could happen is you would get pregnant’.
Her husband told authorities after his arrest on under age sex charges that it was his wife’s goal that a pregnancy would lead to more income for the household.
Police began investigating the Bouchard’s after they received a complaint that the girl was being sexually abused.
The arrest report does not reveal how the 12-year-old girl came to live with the married couple, but is believed to be a family friend.

totally disgusting.
Why is it when we need more money, we think, Hey, how about some OT, or a weekend Job, or sell something, and they think have anothe child?. ICK.
1st of the month coming up soon. Try to call off. I cant stand to see it. I especially love when they go in and buy racks of ribs, and chicken galore and steaks to die for. go home and set up a bbq, and sell the food from their Yard!!!!
Your tax dollars at work!!

totally disgusting.
Why is it when we need more money, we think, Hey, how about some OT, or a weekend Job, or sell something, and they think have anothe child?. ICK.
1st of the month coming up soon. Try to call off. I cant stand to see it. I especially love when they go in and buy racks of ribs, and chicken galore and steaks to die for. go home and set up a bbq, and sell the food from their Yard!!!!
Your tax dollars at work!!
So instead of being welfare, it's a jobs program?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Instead of feeding their family, they are feeding the neighborhood, and getting more tax free money. Im sure to put toward their childrens college education.

wkmac

I'd like to revisit a past issue as it pertains to welfare and that is drug testing. Some here have advocated drug testing as a means to purge the welfare rolls and they seem to think this would purge a high number of folk. The perceived thinking is that a high number of welfare recipients are regular drug users. Well it would seem the State of Florida heard that message loud and clear and did that very thing with drug testing but the results ain't what you were hoping for.

BUT!

And since we are testing welfare recipients for drugs, let's test the middle level/upper level managers and boards of the big corp. welfare recipients and see what kinda results you get there. You might just find them drug users after all but the next question, could you handle that truth?

:happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'd like to revisit a past issue as it pertains to welfare and that is drug testing. Some here have advocated drug testing as a means to purge the welfare rolls and they seem to think this would purge a high number of folk. The perceived thinking is that a high number of welfare recipients are regular drug users. Well it would seem the State of Florida heard that message loud and clear and did that very thing with drug testing but the results ain't what you were hoping for.

BUT!

And since we are testing welfare recipients for drugs, let's test the middle level/upper level managers and boards of the big corp. welfare recipients and see what kinda results you get there. You might just find them drug users after all but the next question, could you handle that truth?

:happy-very:

Don't forget, there's also big business in selling clean urine.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Welfare in training??

I heard a news story this morning about a problem of truancy in New Jersey schools. Apparently, there's some grant money for addressing this problem. Use it or lose it.

I don't know who decided this, but they found out that the most truancy seems to occur in the first few weeks of the start of the school year. So, they are offering the 'sweathogs' each $100 if they attend the first 6 weeks of school. It's the idea that a good habit can be formed in just 21 days.

I have 2 major problems with this:

1. The good students who attend school all the time get nothing. Bassackwards thinking by somebody!

2. If you are a student, attending to get your $100, you are learning that you can just sit there and get paid............this might translate to adulthood with them thinking.....what else can I be paid for for doing nothing?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I remember truancy police. I never wanted them to come to my house!! I think the world has forgotten, "ask not what your country can do for you..........".

Welfare in training??

I heard a news story this morning about a problem of truancy in New Jersey schools. Apparently, there's some grant money for addressing this problem. Use it or lose it.

I don't know who decided this, but they found out that the most truancy seems to occur in the first few weeks of the start of the school year. So, they are offering the 'sweathogs' each $100 if they attend the first 6 weeks of school. It's the idea that a good habit can be formed in just 21 days.

I have 2 major problems with this:

1. The good students who attend school all the time get nothing. Bassackwards thinking by somebody!

2. If you are a student, attending to get your $100, you are learning that you can just sit there and get paid............this might translate to adulthood with them thinking.....what else can I be paid for for doing nothing?

Don't know any specifics on NJ's schools but I do know here, traditionally, the first few weeks of school have a higher count of truancy. However they have already figured out this is largely due to have this huge mass of people gathering into a relatively confined area and sharing germs many have low tolerance to. The number of teacher absences is higher this same time of year due to illnesses.

klein

Für Meno :)
Don't forget, there's also big business in selling clean urine.

I happened to take one of those tests before. Not a fat chance to cheat on it (well, maybe if you had an identical "clean" twin).

Photo ID is needed, and yes, they do watch you in the bathroom.
You'ld have to be a good majician to fool them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Can you imagine being paid to watch people pee? On a Friday nite at the local watering hole talking with a cutie, she asks "So, where do you work?". "Uh......"

moreluck

golden ticket member
Don't know any specifics on NJ's schools but I do know here, traditionally, the first few weeks of school have a higher count of truancy. However they have already figured out this is largely due to have this huge mass of people gathering into a relatively confined area and sharing germs many have low tolerance to. The number of teacher absences is higher this same time of year due to illnesses.
I have a granddaughter who gets sick the first week of every school year.....hacking like crazy and she becomes a big distraction with just the noise (she has a fog-horn-type cough.) The teachers tell her to stay home 'til the cough leaves her. She ends up starting behind each year.

I think sometimes parents may make late vacation plans in August and they overlap the start of school. I never had parents like that!

I have a granddaughter who gets sick the first week of every school year.....hacking like crazy and she becomes a big distraction with just the noise (she has a fog-horn-type cough.) The teachers tell her to stay home 'til the cough leaves her. She ends up starting behind each year.

I think sometimes parents may make late vacation plans in August and they overlap the start of school. I never had parents like that!
I only remember taking two vacations as a kid, one to the Texas hill country and the other to Lake Brownwood in south Texas. They sure were not a chance to miss any school either.

I had bouts with tonsillitis every winter until I was in the 4th grade, that year during Christmas break they got yanked out and no more sore throats, but I was never infectious to others. I didn't realize the school illness until my wife became a teacher. Every year at the first she had to go to the doctor for something she picked up from the students, whatever was "going around" that year.