Well my first day alone on the road was ...a disaster

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You do the job by the book and it will be what itll be. You send message on diad and tell them what help you need and the situation your in. Its up to them to solve the problem not you. Cant touch ya.

laststop

Never left a cart but but stepped in dog poop then went to office building walked the halls not pretty then there were no next day but we on paper No tracking no gps

Indecisi0n

While that is true, I have found if you call in with a problem and a suggested solution or 2, 9/10 it gets fixed. The 1/10 would be on a Friday when you have plans. Pretty much screwed then.
It's not our job to fix their problems. They screwed up the load, the dispatch, the NDA etc and I'm going to go out of my way to suggest how to fix it? Sorry those days are over.

Indecisi0n

I agree, it is not our job. My job can be easier if they fix it though and if I can suggest a fix, I will.

By making your job easier you make their job easier. I don't give them anything. Call me stubborn but I would rather drive around aimlessly wasting time following their orders then me telling them what to do. Then when something goes wrong I say "well Xxxx told me to do it this way". That way the fault falls on the sup where it should and not me.

Squint

No more work for me!
Do they still do the 22nd day and you're in deal? My supervisor took me out for a celebration after my 22nd day for a drinking night. The next day I had to make a sick call on the road. 100 degree heat and they found me by a bush on some lady's yard puking my guts out. I was very dehydrated. When I finally got in and turning in at the table my supervisor gave me all kinds of crap. I ended up puking on his shoes! I never heard the end of that. My teamster brothers ribbed me about that for years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes we have all been there, just keep your head up and push along. I had a good on car in my center tell me once after a bad day that UPS is kind of like a blank slate, tomorrow is a new day and you get another chance to start fresh. I keep that in mind when I have bad days, and there are still a lot of them unfortunately.

I got my seniority in September of this year, and I still have days like this once every couple of weeks. Today and yesterday were both really bad days for me. Running a route I have been on maybe four days. In the past there has been around 150-160 stops, yesterday and today 260. I did get a helper both days for a couple of hours, but being my first experience with a helper I don't think I utilized them to the best of their abilities. Had to have someone take stops off of me both days, and had center manager tell me today that when normal guy runs route he can do 200 by himself by 5:30 or 6:00. I politely told him that I have been doing this for 16 weeks, not 16 years. He just told me to do the best I can, and try to pick it up.

Long story short; I do not have as much experience as a lot of these BC folks, but bad days happen. I have gone to help other veteran drivers on days also. Most every driver has been decent and nice to me. Always telling me it gets better. It will get better, and you will have bad days, just do the best you can and work by the methods. They have a three, er four, year progression for a reason. It takes awhile to get good at this gig. Chin up.

Cheers

It is tough for a newer driver to do this but if you were way behind it would have best for you to have kept your helper longer than what you were supposed to.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Guess you. found out the hard way that the loaders suck, the dols are all jacked up and the edds are jacked too. Best bet get in there an hour or hour and a half early if you need to, to set your truck up the way you need to or to understand it in a way you can run it efficiently. You cant run most of these routes by the edd because of the idiots who do the dartboard dispatch. The dols are different everyday because of the idiot dispatch and all the Sammy davis junior loads by the idiot loaders. Put it this way you have to control your destiny for the day. You cant depend on nobody but yourself to do your job effectively. That's the nature of the beast with this job. ITs exactly the reason why I reload my whole truck every single day. Because frankly nobody can do their jobs right in this place. And their not going to load truck the way it really needs to be done because the dol and edd system just doesn't work to be honest with ya. Maybe in big centers its ran correctly but id have to see it to believe it.

It is tough for a newer driver to do this but if you were way behind it would have best for you to have kept your helper longer than what you were supposed to.

This is why they won't give me a helper. I will only keep him till I'm done. Otherwise its a waste of time to drive back 2-3 hours. Just to drop the helper off

scisector9

Threads like this just prove that management's ways of training drivers is a joke. Three day rides and Integrad just don't cut it.

Agreed. Most everything I have learned I have stumbled through by myself.

Go out on a route blind being told "I think the trace is pretty good on that route." Then get bitched at for production numbers.

Thanks boss!!!!

Re-Raise

Do they still do the 22nd day and you're in deal? My supervisor took me out for a celebration after my 22nd day for a drinking night. The next day I had to make a sick call on the road. 100 degree heat and they found me by a bush on some lady's yard puking my guts out. I was very dehydrated. When I finally got in and turning in at the table my supervisor gave me all kinds of crap. I ended up puking on his shoes! I never heard the end of that. My teamster brothers ribbed me about that for years.

pusillanimous

scisector9

I fall into the cover driver category.....the guy that does the best he can but always runs about an hour over cuz he's the cover guy....no blame here. I am just doin the best I can.