Well the wait is over

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by TheBeerDriver, Nov 14, 2015.

1. TheBeerDriver

TheBeerDriver Member

So I've been trying to get my foot in the door at UPS for awhile now to get some time in and hopefully become a driver one day. I finally got it, I'm currently a package handler in the local sort.

I like the job, it's not the best gig in the world but it's not bad. BUT, a package car job seems a little out of reach for me. The shortest time a guy has went driving recently is 15 years.

I have a newborn baby and a pretty good job as it is so I think I'm going to help my guys through peak and put ups behind me. I don't want to miss out on my kids life working a second job everyday.

Just a little rant/vent...

2. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

A fairly common tale.

3. TheBeerDriver

TheBeerDriver Member

Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to have a job where I could promoted and make some decent $. I just got a raise at my ft job also so that helps.

4. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Would you pay a dime to see this?

Put your name on the PT to FT transfer list for nearby buildings if they're a reasonable distance away.

5. TheBeerDriver

TheBeerDriver Member

I think the closest hub or center is 70 miles from our center.

6. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Would you pay a dime to see this?

Nevermind that then. I had two guys in my center over the last 15 years that commuted distances further than that and it wasn't worth it for them.

7. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

That is not allowed everywhere, so that may not even be an option.

8. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I call BS on the 15 year thing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Heck, only 70 miles?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. We can't transfer buildings unless they move your work.

11. PASinterference

PASinterference Yes, I know I'm working late.

You need to see if and when any drivers are retiring. Just because the last guy waited 15 yrs means nothing to you. And sign every bid sheet. I have seen guys miss an opportunity because they didn't sign.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. TheBeerDriver

TheBeerDriver Member

Dude is 33, just started driving. Started at ups at 18. His seniority date is in 2000.

13. Geo926

Geo926 Active Member

Lol 15 years. Our center is desperate for drivers.

14. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Check the full time seniority list.

15. TheBeerDriver

TheBeerDriver Member

He doesn't have one yet. Hasn't made 30 days, and I don't know if his days driving right now are counting or not.

16. PASinterference

PASinterference Yes, I know I'm working late.

No. Look at the list of drivers which has their start date and seniority order.

17. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

Took me almost 13, and I was already old when I started.

18. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

You can't always look at the previous drivers as solid evidence of how long it takes. Our last guy to go FT had 8 months of seniority. The guy before him, had 6 years. Things can change fast.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. 15 years is insane to wait. That's 19 years to get top rate. That 15 year guy probably turned down chance to go driving. Of the last 20 or so drivers in my center, half were hired on as drivers, no wait.

20. Bagels

Bagels Family Leave Fridays!!!

In many areas, it's no BS. In my facility, UPS went 11 years without posting a FT driving bid, and the guys who got the bid had close to 15 years. UPS exploited the contract to utilize seasonal & temporary cover drivers to fill voids -- we had a large number of PTers who drove seasonally / as temporary cover drivers for years and our BA would only advise 'as long as you do it, UPS will have no incentive to hire FT.'

Some Los Angeles-area BC users have reported 15 year waits in their buildings, which isn't surprising given the large population base, high wage & FREE health care (which is notoriously expensive in SoCal).