Well the wait is over

TheBeerDriver

So I've been trying to get my foot in the door at UPS for awhile now to get some time in and hopefully become a driver one day. I finally got it, I'm currently a package handler in the local sort.

I like the job, it's not the best gig in the world but it's not bad. BUT, a package car job seems a little out of reach for me. The shortest time a guy has went driving recently is 15 years.

I have a newborn baby and a pretty good job as it is so I think I'm going to help my guys through peak and put ups behind me. I don't want to miss out on my kids life working a second job everyday.

Just a little rant/vent...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
So I've been trying to get my foot in the door at UPS for awhile now to get some time in and hopefully become a driver one day. I finally got it, I'm currently a package handler in the local sort.

I like the job, it's not the best gig in the world but it's not bad. BUT, a package car job seems a little out of reach for me. The shortest time a guy has went driving recently is 15 years.

I have a newborn baby and a pretty good job as it is so I think I'm going to help my guys through peak and put ups behind me. I don't want to miss out on my kids life working a second job everyday.

Just a little rant/vent...
I call BS on the 15 year thing.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
You need to see if and when any drivers are retiring. Just because the last guy waited 15 yrs means nothing to you. And sign every bid sheet. I have seen guys miss an opportunity because they didn't sign.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You can't always look at the previous drivers as solid evidence of how long it takes. Our last guy to go FT had 8 months of seniority. The guy before him, had 6 years. Things can change fast.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

15 years is insane to wait. That's 19 years to get top rate. That 15 year guy probably turned down chance to go driving. Of the last 20 or so drivers in my center, half were hired on as drivers, no wait.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I call BS on the 15 year thing.

In many areas, it's no BS. In my facility, UPS went 11 years without posting a FT driving bid, and the guys who got the bid had close to 15 years. UPS exploited the contract to utilize seasonal & temporary cover drivers to fill voids -- we had a large number of PTers who drove seasonally / as temporary cover drivers for years and our BA would only advise 'as long as you do it, UPS will have no incentive to hire FT.'

Some Los Angeles-area BC users have reported 15 year waits in their buildings, which isn't surprising given the large population base, high wage & FREE health care (which is notoriously expensive in SoCal).