"were slow, take a break"

dezguy

At my station there are a number of us taking 3 to 5 1/2 hour lunch breaks. Ridiculous...

There is no way you should be doing this. I had a district manager tell me once that if there isn't enough work for you, that isn't your fault and to enjoy the time off. If you've done all your work and you've re-attempted packages and still have down time, it is up to your manager to readjust your route so you don't have that sort of gap. It's not up to you to sit there on break to cover up your managers laziness.

thedownhillEXPRESS

There is no way you should be doing this. I had a district manager tell me once that if there isn't enough work for you, that isn't your fault and to enjoy the time off. If you've done all your work and you've re-attempted packages and still have down time, it is up to your manager to readjust your route so you don't have that sort of gap. It's not up to you to sit there on break to cover up your managers laziness.

You won't ever hear a DM say those words again.

hypo hanna

And that is exactly what's going on. Your managers are too lazy to fix the route structure. They would rather put a band aid on the problem. Tough luck for the driver who is on the road for 12 hours and only getting paid for 7.

That was one of the biggest nightmares I had to deal with as a dispatcher. The managers didn't want to or know how to restructure the routes to match the work so they would be constantly adding and deleting extra stops and routes to fix the immediate problem. Eventually you have a hodge podge that was inefficient and didn't make any sense to anyone including the manager that made the mess.

Myort

Is the length of this extended break known ahead of time? When you clock out, do you know the exact time you will be clocking back in?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It is never your responsibility to find work. If there isn't anything to do, so be it....not your problem. FedEx is always looking for ways to pilfer money from you, and they'll never stop as long as there are gullible employees out there who will be victimized by this theft. It also isn't your problem if the CTV or airplane are late, if the weather is bad, or any of the usual things they try as BS reasons not to pay you.

EffOff

You gotta stop watching faux news. It's bad for your health. Mental health that is.

Yeah, and watching MSNBC and CNN is so much better, doing their best to slant the news in favor of Mr. Hope and Change. Get real. That "Faux News" rant is soooooo old. ALL networks have a slant one way or the other, trying to find their demographic and sell things to it. At least Fox isn't dedicated to protecting Obama, like MSNBC (talk about a lost cause.)

Artee

You're being taken advantage of.
I'd drive back to the sta and sweep the building or wash trucks before taking anything more than the mandated 1 hour break.

Is it really mandatory? Is it a Fedex rule or your state rule. It appears a memo was just put out last night at our place that states you need to take a half hour if you are going to work up to 12 hours. Anything 12 hours or more you need to take another 30 minutes. One of the local stations has been doing this for the past 6 months. The employees are getting a little upset now because their mgmt is trying to force them to take that second 30 minutes even if they are not going to working over 12 hours. I was wondering how they were all able to work over 8 hours a day and only take a 30 minute lunch and not be getting in trouble for break violations.

dezguy

Is it really mandatory? Is it a Fedex rule or your state rule. It appears a memo was just put out last night at our place that states you need to take a half hour if you are going to work up to 12 hours. Anything 12 hours or more you need to take another 30 minutes. One of the local stations has been doing this for the past 6 months. The employees are getting a little upset now because their mgmt is trying to force them to take that second 30 minutes even if they are not going to working over 12 hours. I was wondering how they were all able to work over 8 hours a day and only take a 30 minute lunch and not be getting in trouble for break violations.

I don't know where you're working but the break policy where I am is 30 minutes for anything over 6 hours, hour if you're going to work 8 hours or more.

hypo hanna

From the dept of Transportation website;

(3) Driving time and rest breaks. (i) Driving time. A driver may drive a total of 11 hours during the 14-hour period specified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section.
(ii) Rest breaks. After June 30, 2013, driving is not permitted if more than 8 hours have passed since the end of the driver's last off-duty or sleeper-berth period of at least 30 minutes.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
From the dept of Transportation website;

(3) Driving time and rest breaks. (i) Driving time. A driver may drive a total of 11 hours during the 14-hour period specified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section.
(ii) Rest breaks. After June 30, 2013, driving is not permitted if more than 8 hours have passed since the end of the driver's last off-duty or sleeper-berth period of at least 30 minutes.

You have to be careful in interpreting the DOT Regulations. You are referencing rules that apply to tractor-trailer drivers, not local "driver/salesmen", which is the terminology the DOT has always used in the past referring to local route drivers. A local driver cannot go over 14 hours in any combination of driving and on-duty time. That's when you send a Powerpad message, pull to the side of the road and stop and wait for someone to retrieve you and your vehicle. Guaranteed letter if you don't.

STFXG

You can extend to 16 hours on duty once per 7 days.

Edit: it might actually be twice per week.

Last edited: