Were we duped or is there hope?

UPSwife0174

I'm starting to really question the way UPS operates. My husband has been at UPS since 2000. He worked part time while finishing college. The plan was for him to then try to get on full time at UPS since his major is more of a hobby than a living (that's a whole other thread). Fast forward many many years (he graduated, we bought a house, had two kids, etc) and FINALLY he got a crappy full time position (but hey, it was full time!); air driver for 25 hours/week, then sorting from 10-2am Mon-Thur. It wasn't ideal, but it was full time, and being opposite my shift, we saved a lot on childcare. He worked that job for 2.5 years and this April put his name on a list to become a swing driver. We were a little leery of the fact he could be sent home any given day, but talking to some other swing (cover) drivers, they said they had only missed a handful of days. Sooo....it's now July. He made it past the 30 day period, taking two months since they kept sending him home, and now that he is legit, his hours have been crappy. The week of 4th of July he worked 18 hours, then got paid 4 hours only for the holiday. Last week he worked maybe 25 hours. Yesterday he was sent home, and today he worked 5.5 hours.

It seems like part of the problem is they hired 4 drivers, same position, at the same time, and now there is not enough work to keep them all busy. But on the financial front, this is killing us. We have to pay for childcare now that we're on the same shift, and that doesn't change if he gets sent home; we have to pay regardless.

He is a hard worker, no issues with anything ever at UPS, but at this point he doesn't even know who to talk to about this (supervisors being how they are...and the union steward not exactly available at convenient hours). Was it just a stupid naive mistake to think a cover/swing driver position would pay off??? I mean he's been at UPS for 14 years now and STILL PAYING HIS DUES. Going to full time from part time meant a mandatory 3 year pay freeze, which is finally over November 1, but an hourly pay increase doesn't mean dick if there are no hours to work. :/

Anyone have any idea how long this usually goes on, or if this is normal? Obviously peak season will be better, but in the meantime, he's essentially taken a pay cut (thanks, brown)

Johney

If he is full time he is entitlement to his 8 hour guarantee, how they get that for him can be difficult but he should still get it.

UPSwife0174

But isn't that only if he works some part of the day? If he goes in and is sent home after the little morning meeting, he gets nothing.

upschuck

On days he doesn't work, he can file for unemployment. That might get them to use him a bit more. And yes, it is normal, and soon he will have more work than he wants. If he has more FT seniority than the other new drivers, then he should be the first that is called to drive. This counts for all FT years, and not just driving years. Good luck.

Johney

If he is full time and they have no work as a driver doesn't he get to bump two part time positions to get his 8? As a full timer you are still guaranteed 8 hours. How they get you the 8 is what can be hard. Preload then reload. A PITA yes, but at least he's making money.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I think you were duped, but there is hope!
Unfortunately different regions have different definitions of swing driver, and different guarantees of work/pay. Your husband needs to read his regional contract supplement; and if he's not working/getting paid when he thinks he's entitled, get with shop steward to address the situation. Hint, if he's not working, he's got plenty of time to find his steward (lunch meeting?) or talk to business agent at the union hall.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I love wives that take more interest in their husband's employment than the husband does. Always makes me wonder if someone is fishing for info for a past, present, or future alimony / child support case. So many questions your husband does not have the answers for after 14 years just seems odd.

Guess I'm just suspicious like that...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I have a feeling your husband lacks motivation to seek out help from his local, much like the motivation to post here. If I had a problem that was affecting my family to the extent you portray I'd be down at the hall/center manager office to get answers, not have my wife scrambling for answers about my job.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The sad fact is that the first year of a swing driver is feast or famine. Tell him to learn as many routes as he can. At this stage, knowledge is power.

OptimusPrime

We have two types of swing drivers. Those with posted start times. They are guaranteed 8 hours driving. Then we have "on call" guys. You call in, if they don't need you, you don't drive. But you are allowed to work at least 8 hours in the hub. Even if they don't need your husband every day, he should be able to get forty hours. And hell, if he is working in the hub and is a good worker could probably get 50 hours no problem. Also make sure he is signing up for Saturday driving. I'm pretty sure FT drivers get seniority over PT guys for Saturday. PT/Air guys is like 90% of our Saturday guys.

youllbefine

Agree totally ! He just needs to man up and start running routes blind or taking any inside work he can get. The work is there he just finds it easier to go home!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Agree totally ! He just needs to man up and start running routes blind or taking any inside work he can get. The work is there he just finds it easier to go home!
This is exactly the mentality around our hub. We have people who are happy living paycheck to paycheck, barely scrapping by just to work the minimum possible. This behavior is increasingly popular as the work days become longer and drivers hate their jobs more.

JL 0513

In my local, FT cover drivers like myself, work everyday like bid drivers. Those that are on call are the casuals/seasonals. I haven't missed a single day since attaining seniority a year and a half ago.

BrownChoice

Depends on local if ft drivers are guaranteed the 8 hours. Where i am it is if you are 3 from the bottom you are then guaranteed 8. The first 3, no such luck.

Future

Victory Ride
I think wifey should get another part time job at the local 7-11 to make ends meet. Now go in the kitchen and cook me a turkey pot pie!

UPSwife0174

I love wives that take more interest in their husband's employment than the husband does. Always makes me wonder if someone is fishing for info for a past, present, or future alimony / child support case. So many questions your husband does not have the answers for after 14 years just seems odd.

Guess I'm just suspicious like that...

lol. Well, plenty of people out there give reason for suspicion. No ulterior motive here (I make more than him, plus the house is in my name and in our state he's entitled to half regardless, so alimony would work against me). He's just VERY laid back, and does what he's told, and doesn't like to ruffle feathers. I think it's the old military training in him or something. He's only been in this position since April, hence all the unknowns. We had a pretty good idea of what was happening in his last position. As for the steward....not sure how she got the job, but she has difficulty even making it PHYSICALLY into the office, is there in the evening, and hard to get face time with.

UPSwife0174

I think wifey should get another part time job at the local 7-11 to make ends meet. Now go in the kitchen and cook me a turkey pot pie!

I'm a horrible cook. :blushing2: I do however make significantly more than him, and always have. (and I do have a part time gig as well as a fitness instructor) I've been supporting the family for 10 years now, and as I'm sure many of you can relate to, the prospect of NOT having to shoulder the burden financially is a really nice one....but my hopes are being dashed by these reduced hours.