Were we duped or is there hope?

UPSwife0174

Is that what happened to you?? To the OP...don't mind Upstate....he's just a misogynistic maxi pad!

lol. I don't care. Always one in every crowd. I'm sure I asked for it by letting it be known I'm a type A woman married to a type B man. We don't fit the stereotypical mold, but we do just fine.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
lol. I don't care. Always one in every crowd. I'm sure I asked for it by letting it be known I'm a type A woman married to a type B man. We don't fit the stereotypical mold, but we do just fine.
Just understand this then....as fellow Type A personality woman who works for UPS. Being laid back and passive....while there's nothing wrong with that....will get you nowhere at Brown. Generally speaking...if they think they can.....management will use and walk all over someone till they speak up and stand their ground.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Gotcha. I'm just in a bit of a panicky place because we went from paying my mother in law a few bucks a week for the small 6 hours our schedules used to overlap to paying $200/week for childcare, and when his check has been LESS than expected for 3 weeks, well, it's killing us. I knew summer would be hard, but I also thought his checks would be at least what they were before.
Yes, UPS will have you jumping through more hoops than a NBA game. But he is there. Just keep on living the beans and weenies lifestyle, and it soon will be over. I do know how hard it is, I was single and had two boys to feed. But it lasted like 3 months, and then it was over. FOREVER. Hang in there its almost over, YEAH

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It's all seniority. You can be type A all day and the only thing you'll do differently is bother drivers to go home. Otherwise, things move quickly enough at UPS that pretty soon he'll have more hours than he wants. It's not far off kiddo, just have some patience and your 6 months of worry will be a distant forgotten memory.

keeb86

Yes, he's learning this slowly but surely. He bid on a route for next week that not many people know, and so far he's the only name on it. He HATES being unsure of what he's doing, but just took the leap and figured it's sink or swim time. Aside from one horrible day during his first week, he's done just fine wherever they've thrown him. I can can be patient if I know this is just temporary; right now he's feeling like he made a huge mistake. Honestly I've never seen a company put you through the wringer like UPS does. Drivers make great money, but good grief you have to jump through so many hoops to get there.
Signing those vacation routes that no one with seniority wants is a great way to get started. Just wait till he knows a bunch of routes nobody likes and several cut cars, then for sure management won't hesitate to find/ make work for him. For the last couple of months before I transferred driving centers they built routes for me around guys that were filing 9.5ers across several cities because I knew enough cuts and could get the 12+ hours of work done.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Imchar1

Did anyone ask or did the Mrs. mention where in the country they are located so people can stop guessing.

Just an observation from from your posts. If told to move a rock from 1 end to another of the building he would do it no questions asked. I have no doubt when asked he performs. However, if no one asks him, does he speak up?

Anyways, he should have never left the 22.3.

I am a part time air driver, I avg 42 hours a week over a year. No inside work. I became a driver so I wouldn't have to work inside anymore.

My point is, setting aside whatever he is guaranteed, if he's been there 10 years he could easily displace others and pick up hours.

My guess is that he is not speaking up. Never call in for work, just show up. In fact show up at preload start time, they always need help and there is always someone willing to go home. Make sure the center supers know your there in browns and ready to drive. Let them know you can cover the airport shuttle or if they need an extra EAM driver or a shuttle to other hubs for misloads. You can also be available for 10:30 air or shags. Don't forget Saturday air with pickups.

Seriously, there is tons of opportunity for hours available setting aside whatever guarantees he has. I have just laid out a blueprint for a 40-50 hour work week.

happybob

Feeders
Jumping through hoops is the company way of making sure you can cut the mustard here. He's ex-military and I'm sure he will be fine. One poster mention something that's missing - What part of the country/regional supplement you are under. We can't help if we don't have that information. Hang in there, it will get better. Full seniority drivers are averaging over $80,000 per year and with him making that income you should be able to find a way for you to go back to school it that's what your looking for.

sortaisle

What hoops are there? Work hard, learn a route, get smooth and good. That never ends and is hardly a hoop to jump through. All the tough mental stuff at the beginning is new and that's what makes it hard. That's all the hard there is. Once that :censored2: isn't new anymore it's routine.

UPSwife0174

What hoops are there?

Watching person after person with more seniority try/fail at full time positions; the screeching halt in full time positions being posted due to planes being moved to another hub, the crazy pay freeze (103 more days to go til that is done, then he's at top pay, allegedly) then being *this close* to the holy grail and being sent home day after day...

Anywho, northern Illinois is where we're at. Today is better, unlike the past 3 Mondays, he is working a full day shift and his old air route for a 12 hour day. Must be feast time again after the 4 week famine. (though it's waaaaay too soon to even say that being it's only Monday. Fingers crossed just for a 40 hour week)

sortaisle

Those still aren't hoops to jump through, it's life and we've all struggled at the beginning.If UPS were dangling carrots for people to get into positions then I'd say he's jumped through hoops. I would wager 50-60% of all drivers had to sweat out their first few months. There are the fortunate few who get in at the right time. If your hub is smaller then it's tougher. I am very sorry it's been stressful, but if he's working his old position now it sounds like things may be looking better. Keep your chin up...being stressed is normal. Try not to obsess about it though. You'll fry yourself and your marriage. It happens all too often at UPS.