what a crock, anyone ever hear of this?????

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When you do 150 routes you don't remember if Russell Wilson 200 S 2nd St. Renton Wa 98057 is a house or the high school.
First no one does 150 routes come on now.

Second I would ask a sup then work as directed.

Also I feel like if you're a business you need put that on the package. Not just John Doe.

First no one does 150 routes come on now.

Second I would ask a sup then work as directed.

Also I feel like if you're a business you need put that on the package. Not just John Doe.

People who don't get around much don't do 150 routes.... A sup wouldn't know if that's a business or a resi. But they might know where Russell Wilson works. (Sarcasm)... They should put a company name on their packages, but they don't always. We don't all work in Clarksville. (Sarcasm again)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am sorry if I started a silly thread. I thought I knew what I was talking about. I thought NDA had a guaranteed time every where, except remote villages in Antartica or Alaska, sarcasm.......Now I know it is not guaranteed by any time, in some areas.

I also at one time thought, we did all of the USA in 5 days max. Then I found out there are areas that are six days.

So anyway, thanks for taking the time to educate.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
All drivers should know the difference between a resi and a business.
Not necessarily. On my city route I have dozens of little ghetto corner stores in the middle of residential neighborhoods that only get stuff like twice a year. I never get to learn those street numbers because they never get anything, but of course those two packages a year will be savers addressed to a person's name not a business and of course will be late when I deliver them at 6pm (cuz I'm not going to falsify and mark them as resis when I deliver therm).

I never had this problem when I ran rural areas. I'd learn all the businesses because they'd all get something at least once a month.

AKCoverMan

Board tricks...

Next time I have a late one, I'll just tell my center manager, Brownslave on the Browncafe said it was cool...
Harry, with all due respect, hitting the res/com toggle on a truly resi address on your board to make the early commit go away is not a "trick", it's using the system as it's designed to be used. It would be a "trick" and would be dishonest to do it to a commercial address just like marking a commercial stop "NI1" and then selecting "resi" on stop complete to avoid a missed would be.

When you create a shipment at ups.com and on I believe most shippers software there is a box the shipper has to check off if shipping to a resi address. If the shipper doesn't check the resi box the default is commercial. This is how 2DA a.m. get sent to resis; the system is "fooled" into believing the address is commercial. (Well, that and people who use handwritten ASDs.) So they show up with a commit time in your board in error because the shipper failed to note the address as a resi.

The big issue here is that we are never taught about the different service levels and how commit times vary by zip code and by whether it's a commercial or residential location. There is a lot about the operation that we have to just learn on the job from more senior drivers.

AKCoverMan

I am sorry if I started a silly thread. I thought I knew what I was talking about. I thought NDA had a guaranteed time every where, except remote villages in Antartica or Alaska, sarcasm.......Now I know it is not guaranteed by any time, in some areas.

I also at one time thought, we did all of the USA in 5 days max. Then I found out there are areas that are six days.

So anyway, thanks for taking the time to educate.

Not a silly thread Tooner! I bet a lot of drivers with years on the road have wrong idea about commit times in other areas as evidenced by this discussion.

The real issue is we are never taught about a lot of this but we will spend time every morning going over DOK and reviewing false back first events lol.

Oh, and BTW the commit time to remote villages here in Alaska is whenever the little plane can make it into the village airstrip. Maybe tomorrow...

AKCoverMan

Someone asked about why ship NDA across town or to next town over etc.

We serve a metro area where NDA is committed for 1200, plus a large rural area where everything is committed to end of day. Ground shipped from city to rural area is guaranteed 1 day service and NDA from city to rural area is guaranteed 1 day service. Yes, both commits are exactly the same but NDA costs three times as much.

But we still have to offer both services because some customers will just see the word "Ground" and assume it's going to take a week to get there. If they don't see the NDA option they will ship with Brand-X since they offer "overnight" service.

I've seen this play out in real life. Picking up from a city customer shipping NDA to rural town 45 miles away. I pointed out that they can save $$$ shipping ground and that ground gets there the same time.

She just looked at me and said "but that's real important, they need it tomorrow". There's a saying about leading a horse to water....

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Let's say I'm not real confident.
I was hoping you didn't go into this game thinking you were gonna win. Seattle looks better than they did last year and that's saying a lot. It's not gonna be pretty. I'm sorry but Seattle gonna roll I obviously can't say squat about my team. Was absolutely a disaster , worse than disaster , for my team. Am so ashamed of my boy right now I don't even have words. But at least you got a shot at it.

PhatAzz

When you create a shipment at ups.com and on I believe most shippers software there is a box the shipper has to check off if shipping to a resi address. If the shipper doesn't check the resi box the default is commercial. This is how 2DA a.m. get sent to resis; the system is "fooled" into believing the address is commercial. (Well, that and people who use handwritten ASDs.) So they show up with a commit time in your board in error because the shipper failed to note the address as a resi.

Also, If the shipper uses the Worldship software provided by UPS, WorldShip software will not allow you ship a NDA Saver to a non committed zip code either. They will be forced to use NDA service and will still have and end of day commit. NDA Saver will not be an option for that zip code in WorldShip. Other software from other vendors may allow the shipper to select the service even if it is not available to a certain zip code. Same goes with using an ASD for NDA Saver. AND then there are the people that run a business out of their house. I stopped arguing with them long ago and just tell them to contact UPS for a refund. They never "get it".
As stated by several other posters in this thread, the 2DA AM service is available only to commercial locations. Always has been since it rolled out. Some one didn't complete their DIAD training? ;)

AKCoverMan

As stated by several other posters in this thread, the 2DA AM service is available only to commercial locations. Always has been since it rolled out. Some one didn't complete their DIAD training? ;)

That's just it, I've never seen DIAD or any other training in ten years that told me that 2DA a.m to resi or NDAsaver to resi had end of day commit and how to handle it in the DIAD when it shows a commit time in error. Does sound like a good idea however!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
And don't get me started on all the NDA I see shipped to local towns by the federal government here. Your tax dollars at work!
I don't know which agency you are referring to as the federal govt has NEVER been known to waste taxpayer's dollars! LIAR!...

...Oh wait, the Veteran's Administration is part of the federal govt and they ship all their meds NDA whether it's the same town or 1000 miles away EVERY DAY!

oldngray

nowhere special
I don't know which agency you are referring to as the federal govt has NEVER been known to waste taxpayer's dollars! LIAR!...

...Oh wait, the Veteran's Administration is part of the federal govt and they ship all their meds NDA whether it's the same town or 1000 miles away EVERY DAY!

And those vets gets the same meds every month so its not as if they could be shipped a day or two earlier?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Ah Yes, those nda savers, with no edit allowed on the address. Apt 12, on a single home. No such apt, rts.