What Am I Doing Home Already??

MaineGroundDriver

Seriously, it's not even 3 oclock yet and I've already been home and doing laundry, feeding the kids, etc .. and I'm a Ground driver?? Aren't I supposed to work insane crazy hours and be out until 7 or 8 PM every day?? :surprised::surprised:

MAKAVELI

Not bad Maine. Must work for a quality contractor.

My whole crew will be done today by 4 pm.
I guess you're not it growing as much as you thought you were. I don't mind staying out late because here at Express we get paid by the hour and overtime.

HomeDelivery

from his location, it seems he's got a tighter service area, composing of only a few zip codes & i bet the travel time to/from his terminal is also under an hour...

as a swing driver, i cover probably 5-10 different zipcodes & drive up to 250 miles on a given day & is rare for me to be done by 1600... usually is done by 1800-2000

------------------------------------

to contractors, is it too much to impose a $25.oo sorting/loading fee per day? i mean we have to do that for free & other drivers in my local area that are getting paid by-the-stop would love to have that since this one terminal is having a later dispatch time (some are leaving the terminal by 0830 or later now)

the ones that are paid by salary-day, no matter how many stops are imposed on them, doesn't count...

bbsam

Staff member
I just checked my Contracted Service Area for the day. We are just about average for a Monday and that is about 75 to 100 stops busier than last year at this time.

STFXG

from his location, it seems he's got a tighter service area, composing of only a few zip codes & i bet the travel time to/from his terminal is also under an hour...

as a swing driver, i cover probably 5-10 different zipcodes & drive up to 250 miles on a given day & is rare for me to be done by 1600... usually is done by 1800-2000

------------------------------------

to contractors, is it too much to impose a $25.oo sorting/loading fee per day? i mean we have to do that for free & other drivers in my local area that are getting paid by-the-stop would love to have that since this one terminal is having a later dispatch time (some are leaving the terminal by 0830 or later now)

the ones that are paid by salary-day, no matter how many stops are imposed on them, doesn't count...

What makes you think the sort isn't calculated in to your per stop pay? Would you rather get paid to load your truck or make less per stop?

HomeDelivery

it isn't for me; i get paid by the stop & not to load/sort my own parcels... as a swing, the travel time from the terminal to the service area varies with each route, some are under 1/2 hour while others take 1.5 to 2 hours before i start getting paid...

some drivers are paid by a salaried day $110-$125 so they usually don't want to come to the terminal until the sort is done ~ it usually was by 0730... nowadays it's done an hour later & it's not peak season anymore

if the temp agency keeps me as an hourly employee, i'll be getting paid for ALL the other things i'm doing, like an Express driver

----------------------------------------------

one contractor was nice enough to micro-sort my pile in sequence so i can scan and load it into the package car quickly... i got into the terminal, and did all my pre-trip, load/sort, supplies into the package car in under an hour, so that was appreciated

PS: is ground using VRP or stop-order loading yet?

MaineGroundDriver

So you made like $55 today. Where do I sign up?

Considering I'm salaried, I made the same the past 2 days as a day when I'm out til my normal time (which is still back by 4 PM over 90%) .. only, the past 2 days my $$/hr has been a little higher than normal .. On a given week, I'm basically making the low end of Express ..

MaineGroundDriver

it isn't for me; i get paid by the stop & not to load/sort my own parcels... as a swing, the travel time from the terminal to the service area varies with each route, some are under 1/2 hour while others take 1.5 to 2 hours before i start getting paid...

some drivers are paid by a salaried day $110-$125 so they usually don't want to come to the terminal until the sort is done ~ it usually was by 0730... nowadays it's done an hour later & it's not peak season anymore

if the temp agency keeps me as an hourly employee, i'll be getting paid for ALL the other things i'm doing, like an Express driver

----------------------------------------------

one contractor was nice enough to micro-sort my pile in sequence so i can scan and load it into the package car quickly... i got into the terminal, and did all my pre-trip, load/sort, supplies into the package car in under an hour, so that was appreciated

PS: is ground using VRP or stop-order loading yet?

I know most terminals don't "load their own" like mine does, but I get paid to load my truck and I think I would rather load my own, know where everything is in my truck, than have some min wage peon load it for me ..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Considering I'm salaried, I made the same the past 2 days as a day when I'm out til my normal time (which is still back by 4 PM over 90%) .. only, the past 2 days my $$/hr has been a little higher than normal .. On a given week, I'm basically making the low end of Express ..

Oh, you're salaried. How does that work for you when you work 60 hours during peak?

MAKAVELI

Oh, you're salaried. How does that work for you when you work 60 hours during peak?
They don't get paid for drive time I guess that's considered of the clock for them.

HomeDelivery

I know most terminals don't "load their own" like mine does, but I get paid to load my truck and I think I would rather load my own, know where everything is in my truck, than have some min wage peon load it for me ..

the contractor had sorted my pile outside of the truck; i walked to my designated area & scan/numbered them with a marker/ loaded it into the rental... if he has a stepvan for me, i wouldn't need this extra step to get out of the building ASAP...

I was done by 1545 today because he set it up that way & the VRP or turn-by-turns were actually decent. 7AM start time. $125 for the day ~ it is what it is ~

as soon as i'm situated with a decent babysitter & can get a normal job, i'll still hang around and be a cover driver (i'm up to 70 out of 100+ routes that i've covered so far)

HomeDelivery

i switch over to hourly when it arrives... getting paid for EVERYTHING that i do in the building and on the road feels good! (clearing over $1K per week) I remember clocking out at 2345 the last day of peak