What are some benefits for a P/T Supervisor?

Arishok

I'm already aware of some of the cons. Just would like to know some of the good? Also, how does the insurance work? I've heard there are different packages. Anybody have a number on some of those packages? I'd appreciate it if we don't get off topic and just answer my questions.

PT Car Washer

I'm already aware of some of the cons. Just would like to know some of the good? Also, how does the insurance work? I've heard there are different packages. Anybody have a number on some of those packages? I'd appreciate it if we don't get off topic and just answer my questions.
Have you received the answers you were looking for?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Just would like to know some of the good?
Not sure where you are in life, but it looks good on a resume. Gives you an opportunity to lead. You get a little more leeway. Guaranteed check is nice. Helps your financial planning.
Also, how does the insurance work?
You have to pay for your insurance. I forget what the exact number is, but I believe it was around 1200 bucks a year.

If you are moving up for a bigger check or benefits don't do it. Will be the biggest mistake you make. Stay an hourly. If you're doing this as a college job, don't have to worry about insurance, I would go for it.

Make sure you know the cons well though too. It's a hell of a lot tougher, and there is a learning curve. But it does get better.

Arishok

I'd maybe only do it for a few years if that. I did just graduate college. Not sure if I want to do what I went for though. It gives me plenty of time to think on it and plan my next move. The pretty decent check gives me a little more time. I'm already on good terms with the other P/T's and workers. Just something to think about.

I'd maybe only do it for a few years if that. I did just graduate college. Not sure if I want to do what I went for though. It gives me plenty of time to think on it and plan my next move. The pretty decent check gives me a little more time. I'm already on good terms with the other P/T's and workers. Just something to think about.
I'm in college and my belt supervisor said I should do it when they ask me to take the test. He's guaranteed almost 28 hours believe, forgot the pay.

beentheredonethat

As far as insurance, there are basically two medical packages, a higher cost low deductible plan and a lower cost high deductible plan. For each plan the costs varies depending on who is being insured, is it just the employee? the employee and spouse?, the employee and kid(s), the employee, spouse and kids? Also, when you select insurance you get choices for eye care, dental, LT disability etc etc. So 10 different PT supvs could easily have 10 different dollar amounts based on what they choose for insurance options. The medical for non union as of last year does NOT cover a spouse if that spouse has insurance available to them at their job. (Even if their insurance is expensive, or even if their insurance is not good).

For the good: A lot depends on what you want to do with your career. Do you wan to be a FT UPS driver? If so, do not go PT supv. If you wish to have a career, the PT supv job is impressive on a resume. Continuing on at UPS is a bit trickier. Some managers do right by their people and try to get them promoted (if they want it). Others don't want to lose a valuable employee and don't promote them. I'd t/w the PT supvs you know. See what their opinion is. However, keep in mind, the center manager that you may like or dislike, can easily be replaced in a short time.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I'm already on good terms with the other P/T's and workers. Just something to think about.
I'm not sure how it is in your building. But some places the hourlies aren't going to like that you went management. I didn't encounter it in my building. Management and union are on great terms. But just prepared for those relationships to change.
What ever happened to the $200.00 a month surcharge for management employees that smoke?
It's still there. Didn't remember that as I don't smoke.
Any other benefits with being a pt sup?
You get accidental death insurance equal to one year's pay. 401k etc.
Also too, would I pay for my own insurance still even though I'm already covered through my parents?
You don't have to use their insurance. You just have to prove you have insurance through someone else. It's required in the Affordable Care Act.

I'm not sure how it is in your building. But some places the hourlies aren't going to like that you went management. I didn't encounter it in my building. Management and union are on great terms. But just prepared for those relationships to change.

It's still there. Didn't remember that as I don't smoke.

You get accidental death insurance equal to one year's pay. 401k etc.

You don't have to use their insurance. You just have to prove you have insurance through someone else. It's required in the Affordable Care Act.
Okay sounds good. Then that would 1200 I save every year correct?

RolloTony Brown Town

Shoot one last one. Not trying to annoying, do supervisors get offered The tutiotn reimbursement program?

Pt supervisors actually are given more money to go to school as an incentive to continue education. There is opportunity for growth in management (promotions, lateral rotations, etc.) but it's competitive, political, challenging and most just give up. If you already have your degree then you have a leg up on the competition, and just need to become a well rounded management person.

My advice, if you go through with it, is continue to work hard. Try to hit your goals as best you can, and treat your employees with respect and most will repay with doing what you want. If you feel like you've peaked at a position then ask to learn something new. The more valuable you are, and the more they trust you, then the higher likelihood of a promotion.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Overtime and double time still come into play as well?
Double time on holidays. Black Friday was a nice pay day. 1.5x after 8 hours. That does suck. But I'd gladly take it for those weeks where I come in under on hours.
do supervisors get offered The tutiotn reimbursement program?
Yep.
but it's competitive, political, challenging and most just give up
Political is the best way to put it. It's a little intimidating at first, but once you learn the game it gets easier. If you like challenges it's a good fit. If you are running a sort it's kind of like a chess game.
treat your employees with respect and most will repay with doing what you want.
Agree x1000. Show your employees respect and loyalty and they will do the same to you. There's a lot of threads on here about mistreatment of employees. Don't be one of those people. Be firm, you are the boss. But don't be a jackass. Don't forget to reward your employees too. It goes a long way. I have certain goals for the sort set up and if we meet them I will buy everyone gatorade and pizza. It's all college kids on my sort so they're in heaven with that. Don't let crap roll down hill is basically what I'm trying to say. Just because you screwed up doesn't mean you get to take it out on your guys.

Last edited by a moderator: