What are the first few steps of applying for FMLA?

Indecisi0n

Now I am trying to make the rest of the week. If I am fine and my health takes a turn for the better over the weekend should I still file to get it on record for when I need it next time or do I wait until I am in pain ten file when I call out sick?
Sorry for so many questions.

gingerkat

Ditto above. On a side note, IMO I would also suggest you keep your "personal" reasons just that, personal. Nobody cares about you at work, so just take care of yourself right now. I only say that because you are being a little secretive right now, and rightfully so. You don't have to disclose a damn thing to anyone. Get healthy man and get back to those foul jokes you love:happy-very:

Buck Fifty

Ditto above. On a side note, IMO I would also suggest you keep your "personal" reasons just that, personal. Nobody cares about you at work, so just take care of yourself right now. I only say that because you are being a little secretive right now, and rightfully so. You don't have to disclose a damn thing to anyone. Get healthy man and get back to those foul jokes we love:happy-very:

​Fixed it for you.

Indecisi0n

^^The love is felt.

Thank you ginger and I totally see your point. My work ethic has always made it difficult for me to call out. I know it sounds dumb but I have always been that way. With that said I know I need to take care of myself before anything else.

^^The love is felt.

Thank you ginger and I totally see your point. My work ethic has always made it difficult for me to call out. I know it sounds dumb but I have always been that way. With that said I know I need to take care of myself before anything else.

Easy way to know your priority. Imagine you're lying in your grave. Look up at the faces of those there for you. Everyone else is low priority.

Indecisi0n

Maybe posting a few kitten pictures will brighten your spirits.:smart:

LOL, you guys know me all too well now!

Cute_grey_kitten.jpg

gingerkat

^^The love is felt.

Good for you sir! I'm WAS the same about work ethics, now it's revamped. Over the years I've had more surgeries than I can even remember. I've learned two important things about work folk/management. People are freaking nosy, but they don't really care, and putting your work first before you, could potentially damage you (physically and mentally) forever. I'm a great example of why you should take care of yourself first. Sorry to lecture you, but when all is said and done, nobody is going to put food on the table but you.

Agreed with cachsux said. You only have one body and mind, when it's broken down, do you think UPS will be there visiting you? You might get a settlement if work related, etc., but you still have a long time to live in that body, so damn it, take care of IT! I'm a big fan of potty jokes, so get well one day at a time and get back to saying things on BC at highly inappropriate times - lol. I'm sure Dave is lurking and is devastated that you just aren't yourself.

Oh, at your kitty pic cut and I almost risked showing what I looked like to show you my own kitty pic.

Indecisi0n

Ok so I'm waiting on the official paperwork/email from Fmla. Kind of odd I didn't get it the same day but ill give it a day then call if I still don't get an email packet. One question which I thought was odd, she told me what my average daily worked day was and told me I have to input this into the automated phone line when I call in. What is this used for? I understand its unpaid time so wasn't sure what purpose this served.

cynic

Ok so I'm waiting on the official paperwork/email from Fmla. Kind of odd I didn't get it the same day but ill give it a day then call if I still don't get an email packet. One question which I thought was odd, she told me what my average daily worked day was and told me I have to input this into the automated phone line when I call in. What is this used for? I understand its unpaid time so wasn't sure what purpose this served.

I'm PT and have to do the same calling into an automated phone number and enter the date and the number of hours. I asked why and they explained as part time the average number of hours I worked per day was #.## hours - less than 4 hours. I was told I was eligible (purely as an example) for 100 hours of FMLA based on the average number of hours I had worked per day. If I didn't call in to the automated system and enter the number of hours and date the number of hours that would be deducted from my FMLA "balance" would be 4 hours, not #.## and I'd run out of FMLA time too early.

By the way, I received my FLMA packet by email a few hours after calling them.

The automated number is HRSC which basically does the job a sup used to do at your building. You'll enter a case number, DOB, the date of absence, and hours of work for that day.

Heres where people get the wrong info from mgmt. You don't enter your average hours into HRSC. You only enter the contractually guaranteed hours for your position , ft or pt. Why? Because at any time mgmt can send you home once you are worked you contracted hours. OT is not guaranteed. So why enter a hypothetical number of hours which will be withdrawn from your "bank"? Mgmt may encourage this because it uses "bank" hours faster. Flip the coin however. If mgmt sends you home ( and let's hypothetically say you are the lone employee to remove the junior/ senior debate) after your guarantee are you allowed to grieve for hypothetical OT just because you worked OT before or after? No. So why give them anymore than you have to?

Also, if you have to leave early, for sake of discussion say at 8.5 hours. You can tell them you're leaving, FMLA, and NO time is used from your bank because you have worked your contracted hours. You don't even have to call HRSC. Now, you leave at 7.5 hours. You only have to use .5 hr from your bank. (At my building my mgmt team would not even enter this into their computer as they look at it the same as leaving early sick would not count as a call in. Hence in this situation I don't call HRSC. Your situation may differ) You would only enter .5 hrs with HRSC.

Indecisi0n

The automated number is HRSC which basically does the job a sup used to do at your building. You'll enter a case number, DOB, the date of absence, and hours of work for that day.

Heres where people get the wrong info from mgmt. You don't enter your average hours into HRSC. You only enter the contractually guaranteed hours for your position , ft or pt. Why? Because at any time mgmt can send you home once you are worked you contracted hours. OT is not guaranteed. So why enter a hypothetical number of hours which will be withdrawn from your "bank"? Mgmt may encourage this because it uses "bank" hours faster. Flip the coin however. If mgmt sends you home ( and let's hypothetically say you are the lone employee to remove the junior/ senior debate) after your guarantee are you allowed to grieve for hypothetical OT just because you worked OT before or after? No. So why give them anymore than you have to?

Also, if you have to leave early, for sake of discussion say at 8.5 hours. You can tell them you're leaving, FMLA, and NO time is used from your bank because you have worked your contracted hours. You don't even have to call HRSC. Now, you leave at 7.5 hours. You only have to use .5 hr from your bank. (At my building my mgmt team would not even enter this into their computer as they look at it the same as leaving early sick would not count as a call in. Hence in this situation I don't call HRSC. Your situation may differ) You would only enter .5 hrs with HRSC.

So when are you saying if I call out for a full say I am suppose to input 8 hours or my daily average (more than 8)?

I'm PT and have to do the same calling into an automated phone number and enter the date and the number of hours. I asked why and they explained as part time the average number of hours I worked per day was #.## hours - less than 4 hours. I was told I was eligible (purely as an example) for 100 hours of FMLA based on the average number of hours I had worked per day. If I didn't call in to the automated system and enter the number of hours and date the number of hours that would be deducted from my FMLA "balance" would be 4 hours, not #.## and I'd run out of FMLA time too early.

By the way, I received my FLMA packet by email a few hours after calling them.

Your eligible WEEKS of FMLA is determined by your total hours worked the prior year. Period. It sounds as though you have Intermitant FMLA. If so you are allowed to take it as small as in minute increments. As I stated above you only use "bank" hours when you are completely absent or leave earlier than your contract hours. After your contract hours you use none even though your using FMLA to leave. You only need to enter the FMLA time used when you work less than your contract hours.

Also, there have been some who were told if they did not call HRSC or did not call right away then they would be fired. That is complete BS.
The only way you might,might, be disciplined would be if you never called HRSC at all as it is part of UPS' call in procedure for FMLA employees. But as long as you do eventually call HRSC and enter your hours then you have complied and can't be touched. Discipline at that point would be violating the FMLA law itself. In an emergency situation you can't even be disciplined for not following call in procedures as long as you do contact UPS as soon as practicable.

So when are you saying if I call out for a full say I am suppose to input 8 hours or my daily average (more than 8)?

Only your contractually guaranteed hours. If that is 8 for you the 8 is what you enter or tell the agent. 8 per day, 40 per week. Period.

Average? I would hate to think of the work involved on figuring my average. Plus as I said, we are not guaranteed OT. They cannot make you use/enter a hypothetical amount of OT hours anymore than you can make them pay you a hypothetical amount of OT just because you worked some the day before.