What are the pros/cons of joining the union?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In RTW states, how does Teamcare work? Teamcare covers Union members. What does non-union get?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
As always you give the best advice! Thanks pal!

Now for the other asholz like me who live in the prairie...how do we get the dicks in the union to stop by more often or at least have some presence?

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Raise hell, band together as a voting block. Where one voice is silent. Many voices are loud. You can use that if you want

Box Ox

In RTW states, how does Teamcare work? Teamcare covers Union members. What does non-union get?

They get the same benefits as dues payers. Including union representation in disciplinary matters. But I don't think a shop steward (at least mine) would drop to the mat and rumble with management the same way for a freeloader.

watdaflock?

PROS- If you're a goof and need protection after you're fired, the union may be able to get your job back.

CONS- Fees and long history of union crookedness. Senior union employees make entirely too much money for the work they provide the company.

guyinthebrownbox

They get the same benefits as dues payers. Including union representation in disciplinary matters. But I don't think a shop steward (at least mine) would drop to the mat and rumble with management the same way for a freeloader.

This. Our local is like that. They will represent you even as a non member.

However, I've seen our chief steward and our BA pull nothing short of magic tricks for people that you would think would never get their jobs back after being fired

Last edited:

guyinthebrownbox

As far as making it a career, it's definitely a no brainer to join. Compare driving jobs and wages at ups to other companies. The union is the reason we are at the top.

My best friend drives for a very successful grocery store chain. They have excellent stock. But he pays for benefits and makes $15 less an hour than UPS driver top rate.

guyinthebrownbox

I also agree union involvement is important. I'm fortunate to have two awesome stewards in our department. They stay heavily involved with the hall and day to day operations, as well as maintaining decent hourly-managment relationships.

If I have an issue they are always a phone call away. Had an issue with an 8 hour request one time. Called the steward. He said I'll take care of it. 15 minutes later, the issued was solved. Good stewards and a good BA are so important.