What are you doing/saying about DHL?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Woud you agree that there is a distinction between pointing out the operational differences between UPS and DHL rather than talking poorly about DHL? Using examples of our service benefits which are not offered by DHL in an attempt to secure new volume is perfectably acceptable. Pointing out that DHL will probably leave your Dell sitting by your front door may not be. I don't see anything wrong with using our operational advantages to my benefit when trying to get a sales lead.

Take in context, please.

Although thread is "doing / saying about DHL (vs UPS)", my statement was for all businesses in general. I also feel strongly that it is relative here.

If a UPS employee sees a company using DHL, proper selling is to know your product, know how your service is better, and to go sell UPS to that customer, stating strong points that you KNOW exceed DHL.

The moment you MENTION DHL, you've lost. You are wearing a UPS shirt.

(dumb example follows)

CORRECT
UPS Person: Our services are the fastest in the industry, we have same day pickups when you call, and we dress neatly, and I sure you would be happy with our services.

INCORRECT: Unlike DHL, our services are the fastest in the industry, we have same day pickups when you call, and we dress neatly, and I sure you would be happier with our services than with DHL.

The CORRECT example above allows the customer to make the correct choice based on their experience.

The INCORRECT example above makes you look like, well, a UPS guy badmouthing the competition (and I use that word loosely)

SELL YOUR STRENGTHS, NEVER THE COMPETITION'S WEAKNESS. It is first-page business management common sense.

New Englander

Take in context, please.

Although thread is "doing / saying about DHL (vs UPS)", my statement was for all businesses in general. I also feel strongly that it is relative here.

If a UPS employee sees a company using DHL, proper selling is to know your product, know how your service is better, and to go sell UPS to that customer, stating strong points that you KNOW exceed DHL.

The moment you MENTION DHL, you've lost. You are wearing a UPS shirt.

(dumb example follows)

CORRECT
UPS Person: Our services are the fastest in the industry, we have same day pickups when you call, and we dress neatly, and I sure you would be happy with our services.

INCORRECT: Unlike DHL, our services are the fastest in the industry, we have same day pickups when you call, and we dress neatly, and I sure you would be happier with our services than with DHL.

The CORRECT example above allows the customer to make the correct choice based on their experience.

The INCORRECT example above makes you look like, well, a UPS guy badmouthing the competition (and I use that word loosely)

SELL YOUR STRENGTHS, NEVER THE COMPETITION'S WEAKNESS. It is first-page business management common sense.

You can't sell our services to someone who is using another UNTIL you ask them if they are happy with their current service company. If they are unhappy with certain aspects of their provider it's absolutely fine to compare.

If they are happy...let it be for now and stay ready.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
You can't sell our services to someone who is using another UNTIL you ask them if they are happy with their current service company. If they are unhappy with certain aspects of their provider it's absolutely fine to compare.

If they are happy...let it be for now and stay ready.

May I ask - Have you ever held a position where your income was 100% dependant on your sales ability? I respect your opinion (although I could not disagree more) and I respectfully believe your answer will be "no".

I'm not arguing with you - not flaming - just want to know

barnyard

KTM rider
But Benefits Are Great! has it right. I used to sell for a living. The correct way to sell UPS is to talk about a feature and immediately follow that feature with an open-ended question or a 'yes' question. If your customer answers 'yes' 3 times in a row, ask for the sale. It is very hard to say no after saying yes repeatedly.

These are very over-simplified examples, put the point is the same.

You can also ask the customer if they are happy with another company and what in particular they are unhappy about. Hopefully, those answers will lead you to positives about your company/product.

TB

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
But Benefits Are Great! has it right. I used to sell for a living. The correct way to sell UPS is to talk about a feature and immediately follow that feature with an open-ended question or a 'yes' question. If your customer answers 'yes' 3 times in a row, ask for the sale. It is very hard to say no after saying yes repeatedly.

You can also ask the customer if they are happy with another company and what in particular they are unhappy about. Hopefully, those answers will lead you to positives about your company/product.

TB

Correct.

One of my favorite sales pitches ever -

I was standing out in my yard - this old guy in a van drives by, stops, walks up, says "Sir, are you a vegetarian"?

I said no. He then proceeded to sell me on his home-delivered beef.

I don't know why, that always impressed me - he immediately took away what must have been the first excuse everyone would give him not to buy his meat.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Correct.

One of my favorite sales pitches ever -

I was standing out in my yard - this old guy in a van drives by, stops, walks up, says "Sir, are you a vegetarian"?

I said no. He then proceeded to sell me on his home-delivered beef.

I don't know why, that always impressed me - he immediately took away what must have been the first excuse everyone would give him not to buy his meat.
So was it any good?

drewed

Shankman

TB
Actually an open ended question is one that doesnt result in a yes or no answer it leads to elaboration and discussion....UPS policy is not to be like our competitors and not to bad mouth our competition; you need to present UPS as a professional organization.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I hate sales. I couldnt sell helicopter rides out of a maximum security prison. To me, "no" means "no" and the entire process of being a salesman seems insincere and manipulative. I'm glad that I dont have to sell for a living.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Got any links to some good articles that we can give to dhl customers on route?
I was given some articles from a BD rep last week regarding all that is going on with DHL.I don't know where they came from but they look like they are from a business or news site.Perhaps a google search could help you locate some info.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Punched out at quarter to 8 on Friday. Let the DM talk to customers. I have work to do.

berfect brown, very true. Anyway, dhl with all of their troubles are actually still following our trucks around trying to get the edge on some of our accounts, this was happening up to a week ago. The biggest thing that burns me right now is of all of the cutting out of routes, and many of our customers are not appreciating our "floating" delivery times...should we be rock solid right now, really put the knife deeper into d.p??? Does anyone else see where this dhl thing is going?????I believe this is the start of a merger that will be happening sometime in the next few years. Ups would really like the logistical part of dhl, ie exel, and also the international volume and the flying lanes and landing rights into some of the more exotic places where ups is very small compared to dhl. And since ups would be purchasing a company overseas, there might not be that much trouble with anti-trust, not sure about anti trust in germany. This would be a logistical springboard, grow the international volume and the logistic and supply chain parts of the business....the both that are really making the money for ups, even right now with the weak economy. This really could happen.