What are you going to do?!?!?!!!

brownboxman

I'm am now retired 2 weeks from UPS. One of the more frustrating things has been the constant stream of people asking "What are you going to do?!?!?". I am 55 so there are many who think I am too young to quit UPS. So I was wondering if others have had similar experiences?

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm am now retired 2 weeks from UPS. One of the more frustrating things has been the constant stream of people asking "What are you going to do?!?!?". I am 55 so there are many who think I am too young to quit UPS. So I was wondering if others have had similar experiences?

yep. So many people insisting I would be so bored when I retired ( in 2011 ). I'm not bored yet and loving a much more relaxed pace. People started to comment about me smiling a lot more now. Physically I couldn't have done the job at UPS and I'm glad I got out while I am still able to do other things ( although the years of wear and tear still limit my ability to do some things). If you can afford to, retire as soon as you think it makes sense to you, not what other people say.

pretender

I was 57 when I retired last year, and my sister in-law drove me crazy because I was too young, in her opinion. I am far from being bored--I still am getting caught up on projects I started years ago, but never finished. Plus, I keep thinking of new projects.

I work every now and then (two or three times a month) for a logistics company when they have an extra run that needs covered. I do so primarily to keep my skill level up, and for mad money. If I do come to the point where I am bored, I will get a more permanent part time job. I think it is important to have a reason to get out of bed every day.

purplesky

The fact that you are just 55 is whats so awesome. Enjoy it. UPSERS work very hard to get where you are. YOU DESERVE IT! :happy-very:

upsoldtimer

I've been retired for over a year and a half. I left at 55. I heard the same thing from a number of folks both inside and outside the company. I have not been bored at all. I have been occupied with a variety of projects I had always wanted to get to (and did not have the time) and the same is true for hobbies I now enjoy. Seems to me that the people who have such concerns may be looking at their own situation where they view their job / career as their entire life. I never viewed my career that way, so I looked forward to retiring as soon as I could and am not looking back baby....

Retirement is when you stop living at work and start working at living. I had the same happen to me at 55. I always answered it is now my time to do what I want when I want to and not have to adhere to a schedule created for me.

Squint

No more work for me!
When I go to the doctors now it's a guessing game that my wife and I play. My blood pressure is usually 92/60. I too retired at 55 and I have nothing to do but projects around the house and make sure we go camping at least once a month. Been getting in a lot of motorcycle riding too. Date night is at least once a week now too. Imagine that, date night on a weekday!

downtime8763

Part time for two local farmers (tractor/grain trucks),p/t township worker as well as running shuttle carts and tractor/wagon at out county fair.Retired at 55 (2 1/2 yrs ago)and I have learned to say no as once they find out what you can drive and how you drive as well as the work ethics who has time to be board.Making money for fun is great and telling some to keep it is even better !!!!!

raceanoncr

Faced same question from many. Still do. Even from drivers still there at 40 yrs in and 70 yrs old. "I have to do something!"

"Not me".

I don't get bored easily. Been off for many surgeries, all of which nobody here would care to hear, and dreaded the time I had to go back.

My saying when I decided to retire and now: "I've got too many things to do that I want to do and this job gets in the way".

Been gone 3 yrs now and not ONE day goes by that I wished I'd been able to do it sooner. Nope, no job, no pressures, no alarm clock, no nothing. Well, with the exception being that I DO worry if the local watering hole runs out of Vodka. Now, we have a problem.

I've been retired since April after 28 years as package car driver. 55 years old. I live 10 minutes from a bass pond. Just bought a boat. My wife and I do all our activities during the week when everyone else is working and the lakes, parks, campgrounds, and shopping centers are virtually empty. We can eat dinner every night together at dinner time. We can plan vacations whenever we feel like it. I live in Arizona where the winters are perfect. A lot of mornings if I'm not fishing I sit out on the patio, read the paper, have a cigar, drink my coffee. When my wife gets up we go do something. I haven't worn a watch since the day I retired. Haven't missed ups for one second. Actually looking forward to the Christmas season. First one I've had free in 28 years. I feel like I retired just before my body would have completely broken down. I can still enjoy life and have no plans to go back to work. My advice is to retire as soon as you can if you can afford it. I'm not bored but thanks for asking. Retirement is great!

purplesky

I've been retired since April after 28 years as package car driver. 55 years old. I live 10 minutes from a bass pond. Just bought a boat. My wife and I do all our activities during the week when everyone else is working and the lakes, parks, campgrounds, and shopping centers are virtually empty. We can eat dinner every night together at dinner time. We can plan vacations whenever we feel like it. I live in Arizona where the winters are perfect. A lot of mornings if I'm not fishing I sit out on the patio, read the paper, have a cigar, drink my coffee. When my wife gets up we go do something. I haven't worn a watch since the day I retired. Haven't missed ups for one second. Actually looking forward to the Christmas season. First one I've had free in 28 years. I feel like I retired just before my body would have completely broken down. I can still enjoy life and have no plans to go back to work. My advice is to retire as soon as you can if you can afford it. I'm not bored but thanks for asking. Retirement is great!

Awesome!!!!!

DiverHunter

I simply told them I was going to do all the stuff i could never do before thanks to UPS's long hours. Volunteer to do some charity work...when you tell them that it usually shuts them up. Never apologize for retiring "young". You earned it.

A

anonymous6

people have been asking me that for the last 20 years. this place is funny. everyone acts like they are in prison and doing "time". im never retiring. sure I am gonna retire from this place but will work at least part time until i'm 96 at something fun.

satellitedriver

I will retire in Feb. 2014.
When people ask me, "What are you going to do?. I just say that I will do what I have always done.
Enjoy my life.
After working for 45 years for money, now I get to let my money work for me.
I enjoy working and I hope my future efforts can benefit others.
Sleep will be my first priority.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sleep was going to be my first priority too. I thought with the kids grown & gone and hubby retired that I could sleep 'til whenever.....

So, sometimes my eyes open and my brain says I'm done sleeping and it's 1:36 AM.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot ???