What Can I Do?

mcutrono

I have been a courier for 12 years here at Express. I see how everything is changing, and for us it's not for the better. I am not even close to top pay, and probably never will be. I have 2 kids, a mortgage and my wife doesn't make a lot of money. I can't see staying at Express much longer. I used to love coming to work, but now every morning I have that feeling in the pit of my stomach. The question is, what else is out there that will pay almost $20 per hour and has benefits so I can still support my family? It is getting very scary, and I am at a loss as to what to do, especially after putting all this time into a company that when I was hired was a great job to have?

Goldilocks

You will continue to have a job but you may not have the same shift you have now. Fedex has changed just like every other company in America. You could try to use the tuition reimbusement program that Fedex offers, get your degree and find another job. Here is a good website if you feel its time for another job. Good Luck to you....

Tuition Reimbursement Jobs on CareerBuilder.com

ScubaEx

I'm in the same boat. My MGR tells me I'm am in a safe position as a swing driver but I'm beginning to think there are no safe positions anymore.

mcutrono

Thank you Goldi, I will look over the site when I have a chance. With 2 kids, it is hard to have the time to go to school, and its harder to go part time to do it.

Scuba, I don't think there is any safe position anymore. Out here, there are a couple of stations that told their swing drivers that they would have to work Saturdays if needed, with no over time, and at the managers discretion, they would be given another weekday off. I believe it is only a matter of time before they make the straight 8 drivers do the same.

Bailey4

If you like to drive; I would start looking at other driving jobs now. They may not pay as much as Fedex currently pays you but it beats the alternative which is no job. Fedex does not get rid of people in a straight forward or honest manner either. So if you wait, you will likely be displaced in a manner that leaves you uneligible for unemployment. Many of the senior posters I have read are trying to skirt through the mess to retirement but it sounds like you are young so I would not wait it out. The goal appears to be a part time company filled with NEW lower paid people. If you are part time or full time and are near top out...it sure appears that you are on your way to the door. No matter how well you do your job. Really, how can anyone insist this company has any integrity. That kind of plan is not necessary for Fedex's survival.

DorkHead

Really? That should have a multitude of UPS part timers enraged.

Not at all. Depending on where you are there is a hiring ratio for drivers of 3 to 1, 5 to 1, 6 to 1 and it`s all based on seniority so no one can jump ahead. You just have to wait till it`s your turn. Took me just 3 1/2 years to go from part time to full time with a ratio of 2 to 1 back in the mid 80`s.

If you have your CDL there are tons of jobs available. Its in everyones best interest to pack your parachutes and bail out ASAP. Express is only going to be down sizing from here on out. Why stick around and be a part of it ? Unless you enjoy living in a world of diminished benefits and pay. Ground on the other hand is always building new hubs and terminals. The writing has been on the wall. If you can't read it now you never will.

bbsam

Staff member
Not at all. Depending on where you are there is a hiring ratio for drivers of 3 to 1, 5 to 1, 6 to 1 and it`s all based on seniority so no one can jump ahead. You just have to wait till it`s your turn. Took me just 3 1/2 years to go from part time to full time with a ratio of 2 to 1 back in the mid 80`s.
Oh. I was under the impression routes were being cut and SPH goals increased. Would have thought that would decrease the need for drivers.

DorkHead

Oh. I was under the impression routes were being cut and SPH goals increased. Would have thought that would decrease the need for drivers.

????????????? Routes being cut daily are based on daily volume. Usually Mon. and Fri. That doesn`t mean they are eliminated permanently.