What can I do?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Young driver. 5 year seniority and just went FT in package in May. Picked my vacation for October. Week after approached my boss and asked to change if possible ( Next week supposed to be on vacation ) he agrees and writes my name on vacation sheet. Did not receive vacation pay on Friday, and today I approached center manager about it. Later in day get a message from center manager saying my sup ( who's on vacation ) says we never had that conversation when he clearly wrote my name on vacation sheet returning after Labor Day. " There's no way he had you on vacation next week, we're maxed out, you're planned for next week. Your vacation is in October. " Come back to building to see my name crossed off of sheet for next weeks vacation. Not surprised at all with this place. Why would they care about my already paid for vacation.. Anything I can do in this situation?

Yeah-----don't change your mind at the last minute.

Enjoy your October vacation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just another post about a lying cheAting manager... Getting really old... Why aren't we hitting them back twice as hard as they are lying to us??? Why is the union taking it so easy on these cheats???

So no admonishment to the OP for waiting until the last minute to switch his vacation to one of the more popular weeks?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The cheat was probably going to be short people for the week... Don't trust these wantabe thugs... Just don't show up on the week that you originally had scheduled off... They are not suppose to change your vacation pics... If you came to them to try to change a week they would tell you absolutely not..guaranteed!!

"Just don't show up"?

The OP changed his mind at the last minute, his on car gave him the week without checking to make sure that it was available, the on car is on vaca this week and the center manager had to play the "bad guy" by telling the OP that the week had been closed out.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Did you have a hourly witness to this vacation switching conversation? In addition, did you write down and make note of the day you asked and it was approved? Doing these things to cover your ass might have worked in your favor, but the bottom line is....once we pick, switching weeks isn't guaranteed.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The union can't do anything for you.

Making back room deals with vacations is a no-no.
Having seniority gets you a few advantages and deals like that circumvent the process.
Enjoy your October vacation that you chose

you must have been smoking the good stuff if you thought as a new driver you would have off the week before labor day
Lol last year as a reg temp also had that week. 23 and a full time employee, no reason I couldn't have gotten that week. He just didn't change it and only had my name written down didn't actually change :censored2:.

Appreciate everyone's input. Months ago when this happened I remember that week being available and seeing many slots available. The longer I'm here the longer I learn. Document everything is all I hear anymore and that's what I must do.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just another post about a lying cheAting manager... Getting really old... Why aren't we hitting them back twice as hard as they are lying to us??? Why is the union taking it so easy on these cheats???
I would call the union but I hate to interrupt a round of golf.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Young driver. 5 year seniority and just went FT in package in May. Picked my vacation for October. Week after approached my boss and asked to change if possible ( Next week supposed to be on vacation ) he agrees and writes my name on vacation sheet. Did not receive vacation pay on Friday, and today I approached center manager about it. Later in day get a message from center manager saying my sup ( who's on vacation ) says we never had that conversation when he clearly wrote my name on vacation sheet returning after Labor Day. " There's no way he had you on vacation next week, we're maxed out, you're planned for next week. Your vacation is in October. " Come back to building to see my name crossed off of sheet for next weeks vacation. Not surprised at all with this place. Why would they care about my already paid for vacation.. Anything I can do in this situation?

Change your attitude

Re-Raise

They post a calendar for the entire year at my center with drivers listed in order of seniority and each week filled in with who selected those weeks for vacation. After they reach the max number off that week they close it out.

Who cares what an on-car writes for next week, were you on the calendar for that week?

With so little seniority, I find it hard to believe that week wasn't filled before it got to you.

Our new drivers seem to get stuck with January and February vacations each year.

They post a calendar for the entire year at my center with drivers listed in order of seniority and each week filled in with who selected those weeks for vacation. After they reach the max number off that week they close it out.

Who cares what an on-car writes for next week, were you on the calendar for that week?

With so little seniority, I find it hard to believe that week wasn't filled before it got to you.

Our new drivers seem to get stuck with January and February vacations each year.
I take a picture of my vacation schedule before I turn it in.

They screwed me one year, never again

rod

Retired 22 years

Jan. and Feb. vacations were prime picks time at my center by the senior people. Who wants to put up with the after peak BS in the cold when you can be laying on a beach in Mexico or somewhere. Many a Jan. and Feb vacation were exchanged for good fall or spring date between a senior guy and a rookie at the last minute.

542thruNthru

We all pick vacation at the beginning of the year. After that it's first come first served. So if a low seniority driver sees a week open and has time left. He can pick it.

Re-Raise

Jan. and Feb. vacations were prime picks time at my center by the senior people. Who wants to put up with the after peak BS in the cold when you can be laying on a beach in Mexico or somewhere. Many a Jan. and Feb vacation were exchanged for good fall or spring date between a senior guy and a rookie at the last minute.
I am starting to think like that too. I hate driving in the winter more all the time. I have enough weeks now that I always slide in a couple in those months to help make it to spring.

Ms.PacMan

Just so you know - you can (if they let you) switch your vacation but the vacation pay is still paid for the week you picked - that will never change.

Apologize tomorrow for getting bent out of shape about the pay when you were wrong and this will probably go along way towards smoothing things over.

Mustacheyouaquestion

60 minute lunch

Enjoy your week off in October sincerely -No one cares cause we know you can't change it unless you make friendly friends with management.

Ms.PacMan

Enjoy your week off in October sincerely -No one cares cause we know you can't change it unless you make friendly friends with management.
That's not necessarily true. In small centers it happens a lot. When I was a new driver I switched a vacation to get my child's first week of kindergarten off.