What car do you drive?

bigbrownhen

Excellent advice from everyone. I would also suggest calling your insurance co, different cars have different rates. Some of the smaller ones have the worst rates. My son drives 2000 malibu, decent mileage, and a 4 door to haul around the buddies. I wouldn't suggest the jeep, famous for needing repairs.

MikeTbob

I drive a big brown tru....oh ok, im with you now.;-) Ford Focus for the wife and kid, 75 Chvy P/U for me, it's uglier than a wet fart but faster than a "lady of the night" on dollar night!

I say kids going to college should be grateful for whatever they can get, I mean we *are* trying to get rid of them cheaply aren't we? hehe

Dagoof

I would say a Subaru good on gas all wheel drive good in snow not bad looking and some of them can be fixed up to be a chick magnet. I drive an Audi A6 allwheel drive wife drives a 2000 tahoe.

bluehdmc

I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (long wheelbase) it's been troublefree for me. The inline 6 is known for going well over 150k miles as long as the oil is changed regularly. The only drawback is mileage. The 4 bangers get better mileage but lack power, (not a bad thing for a teenager), they're built like tanks but like a previous poster said the short wheelbase ones can switch ends in the snow. The newer ones 97 up have coils springs and don't ride too bad.
If you're looking for reliability you can't beat a Honda civic or Toyota corrolla, but they're priced accordingly.
There's always the "give em what your driving and getting something new for yourself."

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Get him a small p/u. If you live in the northern tier get 4x4. Good on gas and he can get around in inclement weather. But with a small p/u he won't be hauling everyone around because he won't have the capacity. He won't get "stuck" driving all the time because "all the guys" fit in his ride. A lot less for you and the missus to worry about on "party" nights.

UPSNewbie

Get him a small p/u. If you live in the northern tier get 4x4. Good on gas and he can get around in inclement weather. But with a small p/u he won't be hauling everyone around because he won't have the capacity. He won't get "stuck" driving all the time because "all the guys" fit in his ride. A lot less for you and the missus to worry about on "party" nights.

A Ford Ranger would be good for that.

diesel96

If not tooling around on the 02' HD Fatboy, I'm driving the ole reliable black 96' F250 Turbo Diesel, performance chip, custom exhaust, cool air induction, etc....Hence the name Diesel96. Speaking of College car, recently bought "Jr" (college freshman) a 2009 Mitizubishi Lancer GTS, now he thinks he's "Fast and the Furious".....Please, give me good old American muscle....

Jagz

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
01 Ford Focus---commuter car for work
08 Subaru WRX STI
05 Subaru Legacy GT--wife's car

Get him an STI he'll love it!!:happy-very:

Tater's Dad

2009 Dodge Journey - piece of junk!
1998 Chevy 1/2 - best truck ever

Had an 07 Jeep Patriot - loved it.... family got too big for it.... Great gas mileage and good in the snow.

Had a 2003 Matrix too... another great car... small and sporty and fairly cheap to repair for an import.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Wife- 98 Maxima-105000 on clock, but looks brand new
Me- 2006 GTO (for fun.........)
Me to work- 94 GMC Sonama with 139000 on the clock
Family to the lake with boat- 96 Chevy C2500 extended cab long bed

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Details man, we need details:wink2:
Over the 4 years that I have worked for UPS we have had 2 drivers get banned from 2 customer locations. Makes me shake my head and say "why". Both are men and both couldn't keep their mouths shut at appropriate times.

Big Babooba

My daily driver - 2008 Mustang Shelby & my "Sunday go to meeting" car - 2006 Ford GT ( I wish)
0812081837.jpg
0414091724.jpg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is the car I drive everyday. Its a 2005 model. I drive a 2002 Chevy pickup to get to it everyday. As far as a car for a college kid? I helped my son get a 2004 Chevy Cavalier three years ago. I put a grand down and he pays the $161 notes on it. 26K miles meant low maintenance, four cylinder gets great gas mileage, four doors are easy to load his junk and friends in it. White paint job is easy to match when he puts dents in it.
IMG_1252.jpg