What do i do? studying starts september - Part time job.

Dante505

Okay so last night i went in and my PPH got measured, i got over 1300 so i passed that ^_^
But i did my test which required 98% accuracy and 1500 pph i only got 75% and 972 pph

kind of felt crap after what do i do now?

trickpony1

My most recent former preloader managed to balance UPS and a full course load.

There were days hr would literally sprint out the door to get to class on time.

Maybe, just maybe, by virtue of being in the same truck as you, and by molecular diffusion and osmosis, he has absorbed your initiative, intelligence and magnetic personality?

Hence the "....full course load." and the "....sprint out the door......"?

Dante505

You think you'll have class at the same time as your shift? From 10pm to 3am?

Never said that, i'd have to sleep as soon as i got home from college, wake up again,got to work, sleep, college again, just a never ending cycle, dont think its worth it when i can just do them both straight from being on preload.

Dante505

You can do both, you are just making excuses. You can change shifts, or just talk to management to figure something out. There are people out there who have it far worse and are making it perfectly fine.

Not really, i did say i am in training still so i cant change shifts.

J

jibbs

Okay so last night i went in and my PPH got measured, i got over 1300 so i passed that ^_^
But i did my test which required 98% accuracy and 1500 pph i only got 75% and 972 pph

kind of felt crap after what do i do now?

What do you do now? You keep at it!

The hell, man.... you're already showing improvement. We're not robots, you know.... can't give 100% effort 100% of the time without :censored2:ing your body up in the long run.

Numbers vary. Keep doing your best, as cliche as that BS sounds, and you will get better with time. Try to stay on your supervisors' good sides and, as long as they see you working at the "required pace," I don't think messing up on the test will hold you back unless you really, really :censored2: up on the test every time you take it.

Or, you know, you could try to get shuffled around your center. Some people are better-suited for specific inside jobs than others are... who knows, you might be awesome with another set of responsibilities.

Never say never. Just explain the situation and see what happens.

Also, what he said.

DOK

Never said that, i'd have to sleep as soon as i got home from college, wake up again,got to work, sleep, college again, just a never ending cycle, dont think its worth it when i can just do them both straight from being on preload.

I realize this, kind of a tongue in cheek post. Working preload and going to school is very tough too, always tired.

BeatenBoots

I preload every morning, I'm a TCD, I have another part time job and I go to school full time. I have 9hr left till my BS without ever having to take out a loan. It sucks! Mentally and physically demanding. Peak seasons I felt dead inside with hardly any sleep and inconsistent meals, but it is possible. It can be done. Just be mentally prepared and always try to make responsible decisions (no late night drinking, video game/Netflix binging) you have to be an adult. Some advice though. Your professors, especially in the later half of your education will be far more understanding and will more likely work with you then your job. At this point most people I work with dint even know I'm still going to school, and I don't bother correcting them. I just keep telling myself one more semester

Dante505

Okay thanks for the positive replies guys it helps
So this is where i am now, any pointers from here would be fantastic:-

I have 1 month and 3 weeks left in probation to pass.
I've still not had my test redone although i do not get my pph checked anymore during work (since i hit over 1200pph)
I know all my safe work methods but not done the test revising them everyday
A team leader is keeping her ear to the ground to get me on preload.

This is my question, the contracted hours for preload are 3:30 - 7:30am on the site,but usually there is 'mandatory overtime', but I'm wondering, will they let me do the contracted hours instead of doing the mandatory overt time aswell? since i'm going to need to the time to get to college (just 3:30 - 7:30 no more)

Anything else i should focus on during this time? would help greatly :)

Dante505

Should of said it at interview then :/

Anyway, went and had my LTC test done again, gone from 77% to 86% and 950 pph to 1250 pph, getting there, i have 6 weeks till graduation hopefully plenty of time to pass

Trainers came down yesterday to measure my pph, was 1300 so above target but for some reason todays was only 950 -.-

By the safe can anyone stir me in the right direction of Hand to surface package handling? trainer mentioned it about what to do with some packages that were unusal but i dont know the methods, any sources?

Dante505

what im asking is, what you do with certain packages (liquids, bits of metal out of packages etc) as i wasn't given a sheet on what they are.