What do I need to do to be a Package Delivery Driver?

blkmamba

How long were you at ups, and what was your job. To the Op, everything about ups is dysfunctional, its hard physical work that destroys your body and relationships and prior interests. As stated before you have no idea what the job encompasses.
Just under 5 years. 2 years as a preloader, then I switched to the night sort and loaded for a year an a half song could finish getting my credential. Finished out as a part time sip to pad my resume only to realize schools could care less about what job I performed at UPS.

blkmamba

Completely agree. But charter schools really only solve the problem for kids with parents who care about their education. My state funnels the funds the public school would have received for that child directly to the charter school, which creates a whole other set of problems for the kids left behind. I think it's a great temporary solution, I just don't think it works on a large scale.
New Orleans doesn't have a traditional public school in the state. They were replaced with public charter schools after Katrina.
A lot of people think Charter Schools are better. You have to do a lot of research when selecting a school because they are not held to all the same restrictions public schools are. You can have teachers who aren't credentialed and haven't finished their degrees yet.

8000Shelf

No he does not. However, teachers probably but in the same amount of hours that you guys for 10 months out of the year with prepping, planning, grading, IEP meetings, meeting with parents on top of teaching. My wife teaches 5th grade and gets to work at 7:30 and gets home at 5:00 and then usually spends an hour or two grading and planning.
As a PE teacher I start at 7:45 and am done at 2:00. Living the life. Haha

The same amount of hours no doubt, but doing a physical task in the environment we do for all that time could be a shocker for someone used to being inside a school building. Best to test the waters before jumping in.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
New Orleans doesn't have a traditional public school in the state. They were replaced with public charter schools after Katrina.
A lot of people think Charter Schools are better. You have to do a lot of research when selecting a school because they are not held to all the same restrictions public schools are. You can have teachers who aren't credentialed and haven't finished their degrees yet.
I hear ya with the no degree problem, don't even get me started on the Teach For America people.
Sounds great on paper, but they take jobs away from local people, then they leave 3 years later to be a politician or lawyer or whatever it is they really want to be..... then the school gets another brand new inexperienced TFA to have their little life experience. SMH.

blkmamba

The same amount of hours no doubt, but doing a physical task in the environment we do for all that time could be a shocker for someone used to being inside a school building. Best to test the waters before jumping in.
Yep. A lot of planning and grading can be done while sitting on a recliner with ESPN on the background.

ups1990

As a teacher in California, you are completely off base and have no idea what you are talking about. Are test scores aren't great because we have a lot of migrant workers' kids who speak little English. Unfortunately when tested, it must be done in English so the test scores end up looking bad. That doesn't mean the education system is broken, it just means we don't test efficiently. Let me guess, you hate common core as well? We've all seen the publication on the internet where red+Apple=7. That is one of the biggest lies in America today, we are trying to create critical thinkers by invoking problem solving as opposed to your basic math facts. Answers must be based in fact.

Now I am a republican, but The Governor has leveled the playing field by making sure lower income districts receive more funding. That allows us to give these kids more resources, better technology, books, materials to help point them towards a brighter future. Please inform yourself before you speak about something you are not a part of.
I've been a long time California resident and have immediate family members who work for school districts, and have friends that are counsellors and principals, I can speak to the lie that California always blames Spanish speakers for their low test scores. In affluent areas , yes, scores are high. So how do we explain low test scores coming form predominantly black districts? Most Latino household school age children speak english. There might be a small percentage that only speak Spanish but the state would have the public believe that Spanish speakers are the reason for low test scores in English, math,and science.

blkmamba

I've been a long time California resident and have immediate family members who work for school districts, and have friends that are counsellors and principals, I can speak to the lie that California always blames Spanish speakers for their low test scores. In affluent areas , yes, scores are high. So how do we explain low test scores coming form predominantly black districts? Most Latino household school age children speak english. There might be a small percentage that only speak Spanish but the state would have the public believe that Spanish speakers are the reason for low test scores in English, math,and science.
Nearly 25% of students in California are English learners, that is not a small percentage. The test they take are in English, meaning they are going to struggle somewhat. I can honestly tell you that 90% of the problems start at home. Look how many parents don't value their child's education. If the parents don't care, why should the kids. The education system isn't broken, the family values are and they age of participation doesn't help either.

You wouldn't believe how many parents confront me one their child doesn't pass PE. Even though I've communicated their struggles and nothing changed, it's the teachers fault. Is is a perfect system, no, but if more parents started doing their part at home you would see test scores dramatically improve.