What do these UPS abbreviations actually mean?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by supercool, Dec 31, 2007.

1. supercool

supercool Member

I've worked at UPS for a couple years and there's still a few abbreviations I don't understand.

What do these actually stand for, word-wise:
    PD
    MF
    PF
    MDU

And perhaps others if you can think of them. I know what they are and what their function is, but I don't know what the actual abbreviation stands for. It's been driving me nuts.

2. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

PD = Package Dump (Otherwise known as Overgoods)

MF = well, I think you know. We all say that!

PF = Package Flow (Tho sometimes they don't!)

MDU = Most Difficult UPSer (We all know one)

3. Fnix

Fnix Active Member

PD also stands for Pen Department (pd 3)

4. tieguy

tieguy Banned

you're seeing these marked on side pan?

PD - primary direct
    MF- metro feed
    PF- primary feed
    MDU- no clue , maybe metro direct unload

5. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

We have an "MDU" in our building. However, I have no idea what the initials stand for.

I cannot remember which section of the building is the mdu but it's at one end or the other. One end we unload and the other end is like this crappy add on to the building . One of those is the MDU I think.

6. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

Mobile Distribution Unit?

We had a MDC (Mobile Distribution Center) that was just an old trailer with holes cut in the sides so we could load package cars out of it during peak.

Like this: [​IMG]

7. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

That picture looks like the entire Idaho Falls, ID. Center....before they built a real building.

8. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

We have four of these in my Hub but they are used year round because the building is too small. They are backed up to outbound doors and are known as PDUs. Ours are custom built with heat and lighting.

9. govols019

Ours was heated too. With a kerosene blower that would shoot a flame out of it three feet long.

Man, those were good times.

10. browniehound

browniehound Well-Known Member

Why do they call the permanent employee file our "Pittsburg"???

11. Big Babooba

Big Babooba Well-Known Member

We call ours the chicken coop.

12. Big Babooba

Because Tuscaloosa was too long.:happy2:

13. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

Yup, we have one of those. I guess that's our MDU.

Our building is way too small. Solution - park a freakin MDU at one end. Good for 20 more years.

14. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

Wait a minute. We have a PDU also... Ok we have a small building. Which has a crappy trailer type addon parked next to the building. Then at the end of that addition we have another addon which looks like that photo. And then we have freakin rollers going every which way outside the building which are not covered... it's truly ghetto. It's freakin embarassing. How can this company operate like this. lol.

15. under the radar

under the radar A Trained Professional

I worked off of one of those bad boys for about ten years (year 'round, not just at peak). It was called "the module." In actuality it was "the deathtrap." Without fail, on cold winter mornings, one or ten of my cohorts would start their vehicles in order to warm them up during wrap-up. The fumes would then come up under the bumpers and make for a nice suicide stew, stealing years from my life.

16. govols019

There were a couple of mornings when I almost got into a fistfight over that. Those fumes were rough.

17. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

We called those things "a dog house ".
    Nasty place to work in the winter loading feeders, one caught fire once the cause was all the dust that built up over the years under the dead rollers.

18. Big Babooba

UPS installed exhaust hoses on ours. The car wash is supposed to hook up a hose to the exhaust pipe to each vehicle. They are connected to a fan that carries the fumes away.

19. Bulkstop

Bulkstop Shanty Irish

MDU = Mobile Docking Unit.

20. LKLND3380

LKLND3380 Active Member

Package cars have 4 wheel drive in your area?
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2666419990053913804wkCejo