What do you do for fun on the job?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seriously, the sups in question showed poor judgement and, at worst, should be disciplined for this incident, but by no means should they be terminated. Letting this slide sets a poor example and the employees may find they have a hard time drawing the line and may find themselves in the unemployment line as a result of what started out as fun.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
One other aspect of this story is that in a work area, horseplay is considered unsafe. I have seen several injuries, and a lot of near injuries because of horseplay in the work area. So while funny, the work are is just for that, working.

It is kinda interesting though, how some UPSers can get their butts in very serious trouble very quickly without ever thinking about what the outcome might be. Totally Innocent. But had LP been watching, or a center manager, there would have been jobs lost.

House, interesting you mentioned your past time, was watching a special on video taping. Seems there is a guy going around catching people on tape getting it on with prostitutes. One guy, a Lowe's driver, picked one up in his truck, took her to a parking lot, got into the back of the truck with her.

The guy with the camera waited a bit, then opened up the back door.

The guy that used to work for Lowe's also used to be married, and used to not have a criminal record. But what he does have now is a permanent video on the web of his misdeeds.

d

helenofcalifornia

I too, sing loudly in my package car. My favorite song at Christmas time is "Greensleeves" which I never remember the words to, so I end up singing the first verse all day long. And I take pictures with my camera phone too. I am always looking for new gardening ideas and house paint colors. With this job, plenty of opportunity for both.

New Englander

I too, sing loudly in my package car. My favorite song at Christmas time is "Greensleeves" which I never remember the words to, so I end up singing the first verse all day long. And I take pictures with my camera phone too. I am always looking for new gardening ideas and house paint colors. With this job, plenty of opportunity for both.

I should have brought the other phone. Had to stop in my lane just after a downhill corner as a Moose walked out across the road 15 feet in front of me.

Looked at me once while I was sitting there and crossed up into the forest on the other side.

4th one I've seen this year, zero have had a picture taken.

atatbl

The guy with the camera waited a bit, then opened up the back door.

The guy that used to work for Lowe's also used to be married, and used to not have a criminal record. But what he does have now is a permanent video on the web of his misdeeds.

d

In an instance such as this, it would be almost impossible for this man to have gained a criminal record. It is fine to videotape people in public. DAs do use video from private citizens to prosecute criminals. However, this case (from what you have said) is missing several keys in finding guilt. The most obvious of which is the fact that you would never be able to prove (I mean prove in court, not your or our opinion of prove) that the female was a prostitute. Even if you found her a week later and she said "Yeah, he paid me fifty bucks," it wouldn't hold water. Unless, this fiasco ended with the guy paying the prostitute on video, which seems pretty far-fetched. Also, you would then need to find a DA willing to waste their time and the state's resources to take this case and verify the video's authenticity.

scoobypanda

One of the guys was bragging about a girl on route leaving her panties on his stickshift while he went into an office to make a delivery.The next morning, I brought in my biggest ugliest old boxer shorts and left them on his stickshift. One of the drivers in my center lives on my route and goes home for lunch, I put signs on his truck, such as, I am very gay or Honk if you love brown and in the winter I always make a miniature snowman and leave it on his dash. At the fuel pump, I like to take a guy's keys from the ignition,sneak away and then watch him check every pocket over and over while I giggle like a schoolgirl back in my truck.
P.S- I have a confession.....last week my son graduated high school and I believe he completed between 90% and 95% of his academic studies using brown U.P.S pens. ssssshhhhhh

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
One of the guys was bragging about a girl on route leaving her panties on his stickshift while he went into an office to make a delivery.The next morning, I brought in my biggest ugliest old boxer shorts and left them on his stickshift. One of the drivers in my center lives on my route and goes home for lunch, I put signs on his truck, such as, I am very gay or Honk if you love brown and in the winter I always make a miniature snowman and leave it on his dash. At the fuel pump, I like to take a guy's keys from the ignition,sneak away and then watch him check every pocket over and over while I giggle like a schoolgirl back in my truck.
P.S- I have a confession.....last week my son graduated high school and I believe he completed between 90% and 95% of his academic studies using brown U.P.S pens. ssssshhhhhh
Prepare for a visit from fbi cia and ups courtesy of hseofpayne:whiteflag::happy-very:

atatbl

Those are actually pretty hilarious. I'm sure someone will point out how horrible of a person you are for doing them and the children lives you have ruined by doing them. But, until someone points this out, you are the A1 king of new york in my book.

DS

Fenderbender
I love revving the crap out of my engine when squirrels are trying to decide which way to go.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
I have been off of preload for 3 years now.......do you have any idea how many big black crayons my kids still have in their coloring box!!!!!!! Do you have any idea how many loads of laundry i have ruined because i forgot to take the crayons out of my pocket. My wife is so glad i am off of preload.

Mike Hawk

Sometimes the preloader that was across from me would fall asleep leaning against his truck when the flow is down, I will try to toss a QVC bag on top of his head. Once a supe got an empty box that was a damaged repack, put it on the load line during break, hid inside, and scared the crap out of 3 preloaders walking by.

An awesome april fools joke pasted from another thread.
Not really a quote but an April fools prank. Our preload is super short staffed, had 2 people go to driving school and 2 on vacation this week, one on vacation being the clerk and the other being the 2nd backup clerk so I was the only person that could do the clerk job. I called the center on my cell phone when I got to work (I start half hour after the preload so nobody was around in the parking lot) and told my friend/t supe I can’t make it in because I'm sick. This isn’t just pretending to be sick though, it’s pretending to pretend to be sick.

"I, uh, stayed up too late last night drinking, I didn’t get enough sleep to safely work."
"BS you need to get to work now we are already short staffed and I don’t need this BS from you etc. etc."
"I really can’t make it I think I strained my collar bone doing a keg stand"
I was dieing here I couldn’t believe I made it this far with out busting out laughing

I had her hook, line and sinker. She really thought i was trying to con my way into a day off and she was absolutely furious. I kept up with trying to convince her I was sick for another minute or so then I walked in the door and stuck my head into the office, "APRIL FOOLS!" the look on her face was priceless and totally worth it. She will never live that one down.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I guess I am a thief and should be fired for destructiuon of UPS property. I am personally responsible for the complete destruction of several pads of delivery notices that come out of my laundry in a fuzzy, soggy, yellow and white ball.

tieguy

Banned
Seriously, the sups in question showed poor judgement and, at worst, should be disciplined for this incident, but by no means should they be terminated. Letting this slide sets a poor example and the employees may find they have a hard time drawing the line and may find themselves in the unemployment line as a result of what started out as fun.

if seen LP would have discharged the whole belt including the sup. The innonence with which he tells the story leads me to believe he did not realize the seriousness of what he did.

Meanwhile some customer is waiting on that 1.99 silly string and will be pissed they did not get the package. Perhaps they had it planned for a party where they intended to have fun.

kwepi did you sign a tampering form when you were hired?

leastbest

LeastBest
Getting back to topic:

I listen to books on my Ipod Nano while I work. During my breaks I play guitar or banjo (whichever I bring that day). I also write stories about the people and things that happen on the route.

Randy
www.leastbest.com

H

hseofpayne

Getting back to topic:

I listen to books on my Ipod Nano while I work. During my breaks I play guitar or banjo (whichever I bring that day). I also write stories about the people and things that happen on the route.

Randy

That obviouly wasn't the topic, leastbest! The real topic here, as in every other thread, is "how do we take what is supposed to be humorous and turn it into a public lynching"! Any other threads about fun need to be posted under Lighten ups or fun and games as I suspect most on here never visit those threads! As far as my career on film in the back of a UPS car, I have a fake mole on my behind that I remove while in court! And yes, it was FUN, the most fun I ever had in the back of a UPS car! Would I do it again? No, she's married now!

H

hseofpayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegotron
You've gone from funny to annoying within the last week or so.

You noticed that too? I thought he was a "kick in the pants". Witty and clever. Not so much lately.

So sorry for disappointing the 2 Kings of Comedy on here! I have gone back and studied y'alls comedic stylings on previous threads and have come to the conclusion that my talents have been adversely affected by being exposed to your brand of humor! Now you boys and girls count to 10 and start trying to think of something, ANYTHING, fun or funny that has happened in your miserable carrers at UPS and respond to the original poster of this thread. There has to be something that made you laugh, or maybe just smile, a long, long, long time ago!

P.S. I do find you 2 to be funny, not funny ha ha, more of a don't ask don't tell kinda funny!

Last edited by a moderator:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
So sorry for disappointing the 2 Kings of Comedy on here! I have gone back and studied y'alls comedic stylings on previous threads and have come to the conclusion that my talents have been adversely affected by being exposed to your brand of humor! Now you boys and girls count to 10 and start trying to think of something, ANYTHING, fun or funny that has happened in your miserable carrers at UPS and respond to the original poster of this thread. There has to be something that made you laugh, or maybe just smile, a long, long, long time ago!

Lighten up, Francis.

OK, so some people were bothered that a good time was had at the expense of rule #1, page #1 in the UPS handbook. We are just sticks in the mud, you're right.

Here's one - sometimes when I'm bored, I walk blind people to the middle of the street, trip them & watch them get hit. Ha Ha Ha!

Yeah, just ignore the bad parts, funny, huh?

May I guess something? You've seen all the "JackAss" movies? And really liked them? Bonus point question - You have them on CD?

Leftinbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegotron
You've gone from funny to annoying within the last week or so.

You noticed that too? I thought he was a "kick in the pants". Witty and clever. Not so much lately.

P.S. I do find you 2 to be funny, not funny ha ha, more of a don't ask don't tell kinda funny!

Whatever..

tieguy

Banned
That obviouly wasn't the topic, leastbest! The real topic here, as in every other thread, is "how do we take what is supposed to be humorous and turn it into a public lynching"! Any other threads about fun need to be posted under Lighten ups or fun and games as I suspect most on here never visit those threads! As far as my career on film in the back of a UPS car, I have a fake mole on my behind that I remove while in court! And yes, it was FUN, the most fun I ever had in the back of a UPS car! Would I do it again? No, she's married now!

house not sure why you're getting your gut into this one. When I read the post my first thought was holy crap this sup just admitted to tampering with merchandise on a public message board. We old pro's know the guy and everyone that engaged in the act can get discharged immediately for doing so. Hopefully for him no one will figure out who he really is.

There is also the customer service issue involved in what he did. Someone paid to ship that package. He has no rights to the contents of that package. This is how the thievery starts. A package of bubble gum opens up and all the loaders on the belt have some. The next day or week the loaders look for the same type box and make sure it somehow rips open again.

If they have no respect for the customer when they take the customers silly string where do they draw the line? Will it stop at an item that costs 2.99 or 4.99? What is the cost of the item where their brain says whoa I better not touch this stuff?

These are legitimate questions and offshoots that also come up with the intitial post on this thread.

H

hseofpayne

house not sure why you're getting your gut into this one. When I read the post my first thought was holy crap this sup just admitted to tampering with merchandise on a public message board. We old pro's know the guy and everyone that engaged in the act can get discharged immediately for doing so. Hopefully for him no one will figure out who he really is.

There is also the customer service issue involved in what he did. Someone paid to ship that package. He has no rights to the contents of that package. This is how the thievery starts. A package of bubble gum opens up and all the loaders on the belt have some. The next day or week the loaders look for the same type box and make sure it somehow rips open again.

If they have no respect for the customer when they take the customers silly string where do they draw the line? Will it stop at an item that costs 2.99 or 4.99? What is the cost of the item where their brain says whoa I better not touch this stuff?

These are legitimate questions and offshoots that also come up with the intitial post on this thread.

{quote} = hseofpayne
If I were King of UPS, I would have taken the preloaders into the office and explained the importance of taking care of our customers packages and explained that if the com pany was run by the people on this thread, they would be looking for a job. However, being the compasionate conservative I am, I would have let them off with a verbal warning. The real shame here is that this was supposed to be a thread about fun and y'all have certainley beat the fun slam out of it, good job!

Tieguy, the above earlier quote is my serious explanation of what I would have done. I believe in second chances for people, and as a practicioner of fun myself, I understand how this could have gotten out of hand. As I said before, these employees would have left my office(throne) knowing the seriousness of their offense, but not with a pink slip. UPS spends a lot of time and money training employees and I don't believe it makes financial sense to can a whole belt for this prank that went too far. Other than that, I just got in this one to begin with to talk about FUN things. You see, I don't dig through these posts looking for a reason to fire somebody to make me feel better about my dreary lot in life. I like my life, I like laughing, and I try to find humor in everything. I am sure these guys didn't consider the consequences, most preloaders are young guys, but you will never convince me that they should have been fired. Have you any humor to add to this thread?