What do you do to be "Green"

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I've slowed down on beer drinking. You've noticed the bottom of the aluminum market has fallen to record lows haven't you.

Thanks alot, I bought a new can crusher for nothing. Head over to lacrosse and get you some Lost Lake beer. 8 bucks a case.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I've slowed down on beer drinking. You've noticed the bottom of the aluminum market has fallen to record lows haven't you.
I did notice that, and I was blaming myself. Glad to know its your fault, one less thing I have to feel guilty about.
PS did you get the rebate coupons for Miller Lite. 5 bucks off a 12, yahoo.

tourists24

UPS touts how to be green. I think they go too far when suggesting things we can/need to to at home. When I'm on UPS's time, I will do what they want me to do-however-when I'm at home, I'm free to do what I want.

Here are a few things I do to be green:

1. Turn on as many lights as possible when needed

2. Keep my thermostat where I want-and not what others want

3. Use the amount of plastic bags I need. I was a "box boy" growing up when the switch was made from paper to plastic. It was touted that by using plastic, we were saving trees. Now, plastic is just as bad. When an unknown ******* came up to me and commented, "you think you have enough bags", I said, "I don't belong to the "green religion". He shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

4. I eat meat. I don't give a **** what the green crowd thinks. I support the ranching industry.

5. When frauds like Al Gore stop flying around in his G4, turns off his lights at his house, and stops the limo rides-I'll consider going "green". Do what you preach.

6. Global warming?!? We shall see....

7. Carbon Credits? Just another scam where someone is making money off of corporate/personal guilt.

8. I use charcoal-not gas to grill. It just tastes better.

9. Carbonation makes beer/soda taste better. How would it be to drink those with out the "dreaded" CO2.

10. We have our own personal freedoms-not what pop culture preaches to us.
well arent you the hate monger.... check out this website page (note their is a song in there). Just listen and learn....

http://blog.seattlepi.com/environment/archives/115923.asp

Sammie

So we go out and buy a hybrid car, which we leave in the garage
all week if we can take the bus to work. We load up on compact
florescent light bulbs. We go to the store every day with our hip,
new reusable shopping bags that can hold a tomato and a stick
of gum. Are we changing the world or are we being duped by
big companies into a "Green" marketing spoof?

Are enormous corporations rethinking anything or just continuing on as they've always done? All I read about is what we as individuals must
do. :dissapointed:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I see UPS went green by having us throw away all the old delivery notices because the new ones take effect 4/23. Maybe they'll recycle the old ones into a nice "Green" calendar that no one will want.

DS

Fenderbender
Its up to you to decide whats best for you when it comes to preserving the environment.I personally dont care for myself cause I'll be dead when it becomes a problem.This is good for the kids of the world.
Think about them,they are the future.

rushfan

True I like their music, but I'm not going to live like them. As mentioned, If I liked Brittney, I sure as hell wouldn't dress like her.

Regarding Alex,

If they were true to being green, He and Geddy sure wouldn't fly their Challenger 600 (CFNEU is the tail number, check it out at www.flightaware.com) to each venue. They would ride the bus, or ride a bike like Neil.

My point is, I still have a choice to be green or not. I will listen to music, watch actors even if I don't like their personal opinions. Just don't force me to do something that's not my religion.

brownhorn

Gosh, would it REALLY kill you to do something to help the environment? I mean most of you who poo-poo recycling etc. are conservative, right? Shouldn't you CONSERVE our limited resources? I'm not extremist on this--sorry Sheryl Crow, I gotta use more than one square--but come on, just do some small things and maybe our grandkids can enjoy the earth. Try looking past your own nose and quit being such a drama queen! Jeez!

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Gosh, would it REALLY kill you to do something to help the environment? I mean most of you who poo-poo recycling etc. are conservative, right? Shouldn't you CONSERVE our limited resources? I'm not extremist on this--sorry Sheryl Crow, I gotta use more than one square--but come on, just do some small things and maybe our grandkids can enjoy the earth. Try looking past your own nose and quit being such a drama queen! Jeez!

Name one resource we should conserve that we are not already.

Don't say water - water renews itself.
Don't say trees - there are more trees in the USA now than there were 200 years ago
Don't say Oil - Oil is evil & we should not use it anyway.

Our grandkids will be fine - people adapt

UPSNewbie

I see UPS went green by having us throw away all the old delivery notices because the new ones take effect 4/23. Maybe they'll recycle the old ones into a nice "Green" calendar that no one will want.

That was UPS's whole scheme. Make it ugly, so less people want it, so UPS wont have as many printed. Bam. UPS went green.

I don't limit water usage. We have a well. The well water turns to grey-water after use, which goes to the septic tank, which goes into the leech field, which then seeps back into the aquifer.

I've gone to all CFLs.

I drive my V-8 friend-150 only when I need.

I cut down driving, don't fill up the tank, and don't run the lawn equipment when "Ozone Days" are in effect.

FAVREFAN

that is the bigest enviromentalist crock ever!!! think about it; the "footprint" of him building a NEW green home vs. buying a modest <1000 sq ft existing home. it will be a long time until his home that at most may save 25% will make up for all the back hoes, new streets/sewer etc. etc. that goes into building his new one.

like "Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year." that is with all the latest and greatest "green" technology in contrast my apartment (built 1985) uses under 500kwh monthly and i drive less than 5 miles to work so even though i drive a v-8 "gas guzzler" my footprint is way smaller than his!

its just a load of liberal crap but this time its going to be expensive!!! cap/trade etc...
100% of Al Gore's energy then was purchased from green energy suppliers(Wind/hydro/solar) at 4 times the cost of what we would pay, Nimrod. Look it up. He has since redone his house to produce much of his own power and buys any other power needed from the same green energy suppliers. I can't stand when people spread false information.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
speaking of Global warming!!!!!!!
seperated at birth ????
images
images

Potsie & Al Gore ?????

Overpaid Union Thug

100% of Al Gore's energy then was purchased from green energy suppliers(Wind/hydro/solar) at 4 times the cost of what we would pay, Nimrod. Look it up. He has since redone his house to produce much of his own power and buys any other power needed from the same green energy suppliers. I can't stand when people spread false information.

Hmmm....I guess that almost makes up for all of the jet fuel that he uses as he's flying around the world to push his new religion on everyone. I also like the idea of carbon credits. Maybe we'll have murder credits next. If we don't like someone we can murder them without punishment as long as we purchase one. Awesome!

some1else

Banned
wow me either!

1. assuming thats true he still used the eq. of over 10 times as much than me not 50 times soRRY. and this applies not just to utillities (electric, water) but EVERYTHING has to travel those extra miles to reach the ivory towers of the gore estate. every single item is tainted with all that carbon aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
2. green power cost 4 times as much lmao!
3.his scheme of selling offset credits doesnt change the fact that his footprint is still 10 times as large as mine. its called fungibility! if he lived modestly like a slightly less narcisicitic hypocrite would he could still buy the same amount of feel good "credits" and have a negative footprint. Think about his scheme logically; reductum ad absurdum everyone in the country buys enough "offset credits" to make their homes/businesses green. no more polution or even NEGATIVE POLLUTION!!!!! NOOO only his "credit" company and the idiots making condor quisanarts will be rolling in the new "green" economy.
4. how much does "carbon" does ups use to deliver to his mansion vs. my apartment complex.
5. how much of a footprint did it make to have contractors come and rip apart his new fortress and replace crap with new manufactured "green" and throw the old "green" out?

and this stuff does matter; enviromental regulations are EXPENSIVE. think about it how much of your twenty thousand dollar car goes towards retarded enviromental **** that just makes it slower.

i know those cats are a waste but they are easy to gut and i do it on every car i have

rushfan

Are China, India, and Third world countries green? Maybe in the "eco-tourist" areas of these countries. However, travel outside of the "tourista" section of each of these countries. You will see a mess as I have. Sewage, car batteries, polluting cars and motorcycles in the streets. Trash thrown in the Caribbean Sea. I guess we can blame the oppressive U.S. for their problem, and not their own oppressive governments. One gets sick and tired of those blaming us (particularly the U.S. for the worlds problems).

The U.S. has some of the most stringent environmental rules around. Permits upon permits are required before the first shovel goes into the ground, before the first tree is cut. Gone are the days of uncontrolled mining, gas and oil exploration, clear cutting, etc. Once a city meets EPA emissions standards, they increase the regulations again. When will it end. Classifying CO2 as a deadly gas just put the death knell in the coffin.

I as an outdoors man (rather for those who prefer the p.c. way "outdoors person") have seen some good regulations in place-and some not so good ones. Some good ones-IMHO-Fishing and Game limits, protecting fisheries-habitat for wildlife. Not good ones-The plan on designating areas as off limits to anything-hiking-fishing-hunting-trail riding.

Another is on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River-a river already with controlled access. Every rafting party must pack out their own sewage. So you get an old ammo can and do your duty in it for a week. Never mind the Class 4 and 5 rapids. If you don't secure the "load", it will spill. If it survives the week, you have your own environmental disaster waiting to be cleaned out.

I was into recycling before it was cool. As a kid I collected beer and pop cans for extra money. I garden, so I composted before it was cool. Now it seems to be some passing fad.

So to those who assume I am the biggest polluter on earth, you would be surprised at how much I care for the environment. However, I will not use reusable washcloths and one square of one ply toilet paper to wipe my A#$