What do you drive for UPS?

What do you drive for UPS?

• Total voters

dillweed

I get a P5 w/ half a million miles, side door that takes two hands to open, a hood that wants to pop up and a back door that needs a padlock to keep closed. :lol: One day the cover over the shifter area fell off and I could see gears and, I believe, the highway underneath. Tried not to look at it as it made me dizzier than normal. :mad: I love my job. I love the trucks. Love the building I work in and respect management wholefartedly. dw

browniehound

I drive a piece of crap p1000 that has no power. I have a very hilly house call area I do after my PU's and when my truck is full I can't get it into 2nd gear going up a hill. So i'm forced to drive in first gear up a hill for an 1/8 of a mile because I will stall if I throw it in second.

UPS really needs to get rid of the old trucks. Its freaking 2007 now, not 1964:confused:1

oakland

I drive a 87 P10 with a Vortec V6. It has a nice idle and doesnt have that UPS Truck bumbly backfire exhaust sound. The tranny just blew up 2 days ago on the way in. Rear wheels locked up going about 45 mph coming off the freeway then it broke free, I still had 1rst gear though. The mechanic said he will put a new 5 spd in it. Looks like 10 more years out of this truck.

D

dont want to be known

But know,mngmt would assign vehicles to favorites,and to whomever would b*itch loudest,brownnosers and to wussies with doctor's notes.

Try a legitimate doctor note for an on the job injury. I was given the note back and was told that I would be fired if I handed it back to them.....
I am not a wussie, I was hurt on the job and trying to stay on the job. The lawer went ape over this, saying that it was a blatant violation of the law but I could not afford to be off work for years until the lawsuit would be settled. ...By the way, it was a COMPANY doctor that gave me the note!

raceanoncr

But know,mngmt would assign vehicles to favorites,and to whomever would b*itch loudest,brownnosers and to wussies with doctor's notes.

Hmmm...interesting.

I guess I was one. Yrs ago, I had a temp Christmas feeder run. Last one to leave at night with hot trailers. Of course, all the rental equipment was taken by the time I got there...for city p/us! I got stuck with '71 tractor every night. Didn't say nuttin (is that b*itchin?). One night wind was howlin, tractor would only go 40 into wind, 2-100% trailers that HAD to be there YESTERDAY! Got there after sort! Sort was screaming! Me? I don't care (is that b*itchin?).

Got to home domicle, manager pointed finger at me and said, and I quote, "From now on, you WILL have something to drive!!!" For the rest of peak, I had choice equip. BUT, I guess I'm a crybaby so there IS justice!

diesel96

Try a legitimate doctor note for an on the job injury.

If your un-able to perform your job at full capacity then why should the rest of the group have to suffer?
There is other inside work UPS has to offer you at full pay untill your full recovery.
We all feel the effects from the older non UPS Friendly vehicle has on us.
Why should a (lower senority) injury prone employee get priority over a more senior employee who's earn the right to the newer vehicle?

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Always had a P1000, wall to wall every day. Last year I bid on a nice rural route with a diesel. Automatic, power steering, nice low step... I think about fighting that old car and wonder how any of us did it. We should all have cars like the one I drive now... they're career extenders.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
P5 here. I always wondered just what the hell UPS was thinking when they decided to buy a fleet of these things. LIke, seriously, how is creeping around in something that terrible supposed to improve production when it takes you a considerable amount of time just to pull out from a parking spot, what, with all the cranking of the wheel and such. Not to mention the nagging soreness in my knees and my left elbow from all that shifting.

Especially disheartening when all these small, mom-and-pop courier companies are driving brand new vehicles with all the bells and whistles, blasting by me at lights while I'm still trying to lurch into second gear . . .

brownrodster

P12

Nice to have an automatic and power steering. They are also easier to get in and out of (the steps are a little lower)

Only down side is the thing is packed full when I leave the Hub and packed full when I return.

Same situation here.

2006 P12. Full when I leave. Full when I get home.

Just Lurking

994 P10 with 217K miles with brand new fuel injectors/turbo. I have driven it basically from day 1. I did not realize how muck power it had lost of the years.

upsgrunt

I just got a brand new 1400 yesterday-only 360 miles! It is so nice that even I don't think I deserve it:crying:. It beeps at everything; turn signals, 4 ways, hand brake not set, hand brake not fully released- way too much electronic stuff. There is even a "door ajar" light that comes on every time you start it. I love it for the most part- mercedes motor with great pick up and awesome fuel mileage. The part I don't like is after driving a stick for the last 20 years is when it looks like I am stomping bugs with my left foot and waving my right hand around looking for the shifter!:w00t:

upsgrunt

Yes, you are right! I'm so giddy with the new ride that I'm not thinking straight. It is sure a hell of a lot longer than my old P10!

Big Babooba

I remember the car I trained on. It was an old P600 with wooden bulkhead and side doors.

I did too, a 69 Ford. It had a padlock for the bulkhead and rear doors
It also had wooden fold up shelves. How many splinters did you get?
My last route had a 97 International 700. What a difference.