What do you think about 1st week of replacement referees........

packageguy

I watched a few games this weekend, and I getting the feeling that these referees are letting them play on. I see alot of missed calls. Any body out there feel the same?

bbsam

Staff member
I thought they sucked. Seemed like they were waiting basically for recievers to point out PI on defensive backs. The block in the back call that they reversed in the Green Bay/San Fran was simply inexcusable. NFL needs to get up off the money--now.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I haven't seen any games. I have dish and the locals see to appear and disappear. Kinda like the boogie man. I gotta call them, now that I think of it.

I'm still undecided if I should watch. Are the real ones on strike or something?

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I watched a few games this weekend, and I getting the feeling that these referees are letting them play on. I see alot of missed calls. Any body out there feel the same?

Not a subject for me to dicuss without my emotions rocketing to the moon.

I am giving one example and then I am getting on an aircraft to demand a meeting with the Commish:
Seahawks-Cardinals time out call.

packageguy

Not a subject for me to dicuss without my emotions rocketing to the moon.

I am giving one example and then I am getting on an aircraft to demand a meeting with the Commish:
Seahawks-Cardinals time out call.

Yes, I watched that game, that was horrible, greenbay/sanfran, horrible--

steelers/denver, block in back and no call

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought they did a really good job during the Cowboys/Giants game. The announcers thought that the league may have put the best refs out there because of the national TV audience. The two things I noticed this weekend was they were letting them play and they were letting the wide receivers make some of the pass interference calls for them. The players know that they can get away with more as these refs just cannot keep up with the flow of the game.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
They definitely do not know all the rules. There were some pretty bad calls (or non calls) but even the pro's screw up on occasion. I really didn't see any of the 'letting them play on' that little boy mentioned but I didn't watch all the games. One of the games (I can't remember which) one of the teams had an injury with less than 2 minutes and they should have been charged a T.O. and they weren't. Later they were allowed to call a T.O. they shouldn't have had. It didn't affect the game in the end but it sure could have been a huge screw up.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When I say, letting them play on, it's the calls there not making, steeler game block in the back.
I know and over all I think the refs did a fair job. They obviously weren't perfect but then again the pro's screw it up once in awhile too. I watched the PITT game and I know what play you are talking about. They missed it. No point in crying over spilled milk. I'm pretty sure the mistakes will be pointed out.

brownedout

I haven't seen any games. I have dish and the locals see to appear and disappear. Kinda like the boogie man. I gotta call them, now that I think of it.

I'm still undecided if I should watch. Are the real ones on strike or something?

meny "real" officials have been locked out by the league since June. Main issues are: 401k contributions, The addition of 1 more crew, and making 7 officials full-time employees.

brownedout

I thought they did a really good job during the Cowboys/Giants gam[/B]e. The announcers thought that the league may have put the best refs out there because of the national TV audience. The two things I noticed this weekend was they were letting them play and they were letting the wide receivers make some of the pass interference calls for them. The players know that they can get away with more as these refs just cannot keep up with the flow of the game.
The rear wings and BJ really allowed the Cowboy Db's to hold and make illegal contact with the Giant Wr's all game long. Not Just sour grapes from a Giants fan; the Giant D coaches should have given same instructions to their Db's and see if non calls went each way. Plus the Cowboys completely outplayed the Giants, Romo was off the charts, phenomenal game by the 'Boy's Qb.

Last edited:

brownedout

Yes, the problem with that however is they lose control of the game, ala last nights Bears-Packers game. While as an official you never want to decide a game, you also don't want all the talking and shoving after almost every play that took place last night. That crew totally lost control of that game. Each sideline official must make it clear to their coaching staffs pregame that their players play the whistle, and separate when told. Captains need to be reminded heading to their respective huddles of same insructions during play, and if these instructions are not followed, we will police this game, yellow flags will fly.