What do you think is Going to Happen after Peak!

Dustyroads

Overboard, that sounds a little overboard. Vacation schedules are being completed now for 2010, and there is no blocking of weeks in January. Check with your business agent before crying fire in the theater.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Overboard, that sounds a little overboard. Vacation schedules are being completed now for 2010, and there is no blocking of weeks in January. Check with your business agent before crying fire in the theater.

To late the vacations where pick in April, year runs from May 1 to April 30 . I ask the shop Steward if the center manager was allowed to block the month January, basically he said " as long as the weeks where made up during another months" for instance instead of 2 drivers off a week in February there was 3 a week . I don’t believe him but don’t really care since I was not planning on taking a January vacation. So I was not really crying just stating the fact .

barnyard

KTM rider
We have 2 guys retiring in January. Last year, there was only 1 week where I was close to layoff, don't see that happening this year. The economy seems to be slowly improving around here.

NoStress

I'm a Steward so I'm not worrying about getting laid off- Stewards have super seniority ,which means they are the last to go.....

Hedley_Lamarr

I dont know how things are out in your Centers, But if we have all these Full time drivers Not Driving Durring "Peak" Its not going to Pick up and get better....
Im not too far from the Bottem on the Senority List!!
I have been Driving all summer and all peak so far, only 1 day i was Extra!

But the Way things Look....... What do you think is going to Happen?
are they going to be laying off...part time guy's..drivers... or ..................
I got laid off last year and had to work two unload shifts in the hub. One in the morning, one in the evening. I wasn't at top rate then, and it really sucked. I'm second from the bottom in my center, and will be at top rate soon after new years. If they want to pay me near $30 an hour to unload trucks then that's just fine by me....

StopTheAct

i dont know *** you talkin about
Being a shop steward dont mean ****!!!
-- Maybee they got your back because you know the Contract book good--
and you will drop them greivences...... but That dont mean anything,, it all works on Senority and you know that!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i dont know *** you talkin about
Being a shop steward dont mean ****!!!
-- Maybee they got your back because you know the Contract book good--
and you will drop them greivences...... but That dont mean anything,, it all works on Senority and you know that!!!

He is actually right about the Steward thing.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I got laid off last year and had to work two unload shifts in the hub. One in the morning, one in the evening. I wasn't at top rate then, and it really sucked. I'm second from the bottom in my center, and will be at top rate soon after new years. If they want to pay me near $30 an hour to unload trucks then that's just fine by me....

Chances are there is something in your supplement that defines your payrate within layoff.

Our rules are like this - if you are laid off from driving, as a top rate driver, you go back inside at your part-time rate if you went driving after August 1997 and are offered two part-time shifts to make your hours. Not sure about your locale, but up here you absolutely do not get paid as a top rate driver while on layoff working inside.

The better alternative, just goto unemployment and file as laid off. You will make more money and not have to lift a finger other than to probably sign some documents. Plus the union hates this.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Second week in January was the closest to post peak I could get for vacation, no blockage here.
I don't know about layoffs, seems every week they are holding interviews for more & more new hires.

browniehound

Next year will make this year look like a cakewalk. Since April, I have consistently worked until 8:00pm every day. I expect to work later next year. I have never seen UPS ignore 9.5 grievances as much as they have this year. They simply don't care about honoring the contract. We receive daily tongue lashings about the increase in injuries and accidents when it is the added workload which has led to those increases. Next year I expect yet more foolish "cost reducing measures" which will inevitably lead to an increase in costs just as they have done this year. UPS has probably set a record this year in the number of missed packages and other miscellaneous service failures, not to mention the number of customers we lost. All this occurrs because UPS wants to keep their stock price up. I'm glad I sold mine when it was $75 a share. Sorry for the negativity but it would be naive to think otherwise.

Hey TALKWITH,
Why not just quit UPS? You can obviously make it on Wall Street based on your brilliant desicion to sell UPS at $75.

My guess is UPS didn't "set a record for service failures" (I didn't know a record existed. Does Guiness know about it?), I'll bet they improved on their number.

Do you have evidence that the extra workload caused more injuries? If you don't have proof don't say it.

The perception I get from your post is an angry, lazy, "the world is out to get me" overpaid UPS worker that still has his stock at $57. You never sold at $75 and its obvious.

I'd be pissed too, but don't blame UPS...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Every year, Corporate sends someone down to work in the trenches as our Driver Helper Coordinator. I was talking to this guy Friday night and I asked him what he did there. His reply was: "I predict the future". I thought that was pretty interesting, I should have asked him what the Mega Millions numbers were for Friday night. Anyways, he said that he studied what the economy was doing and helps Corporate decide what to do in respect as to planning ahead. He stated that our early peak volumn was a little stronger than expected. Interesting guy, I think I will talk with him some more.

barnyard

KTM rider
Every year, Corporate sends someone down to work in the trenches as our Driver Helper Coordinator.

this is the 1st year since I have been a UPSer that we have not had a helper coordinator. This is also the 1st year that we have not had a problem finding helpers. We had quite a few PTers sign up and 750 people apply (yep, 750, is in seven hundred and fifty).

upsgrunt

Every year, Corporate sends someone down to work in the trenches as our Driver Helper Coordinator. I was talking to this guy Friday night and I asked him what he did there. His reply was: "I predict the future". I thought that was pretty interesting, I should have asked him what the Mega Millions numbers were for Friday night. Anyways, he said that he studied what the economy was doing and helps Corporate decide what to do in respect as to planning ahead. He stated that our early peak volumn was a little stronger than expected. Interesting guy, I think I will talk with him some more.

Ask him if he posts as "Integrity" on here.:happy2: