What does a data capture clerk do? ON TOPIC

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Arch, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Arch

Arch Member

My hub recently put out a new combo bid sheet and they have data capture clerk/hub sorter available at a hub closer to my house then the one I'm currently working at. I ask a few co-workers what does a data capture clerk do and none of them seem to be sure. Has anybody done it? If so what do you do and do you like it?

My second question, can you be a combo(ex. sorter/loader) and also do Saturday Air driving? I'm looking to maximize more hours.

2. Arch

Arch Member

Lol, ok can someone answer my second question then. Thanks.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Data capture clerks do address corrections.

Art. 22 hours are capped at 40 (no overtime) so you will not be able to drive on Saturday.

4. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

No they are not capped at 40 hours. Several of ours get more than 40 hours in a week. Not everywhere at UPS is the same

5. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

IIRC, Dave, the year I worked an Art. 22 job, I worked a lot of overtime including 60 hour weeks at peak.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

My very first night I punched out with 8.13 hours. Center Manager pulled me aside the following day to tell me that I cannot go over 8.

7. cosmo1

Different centers, different center manager's and different policies.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

OT isn't banned, but it is widely frowned upon.

9. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1459903827.281485.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

A data capture clerk processes International shipments to expedite custom's clearance and enters ASDs for billing and OPLD purposes.
    Amongst other things.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

You could work Saturday air if one of your combo jobs was air driving. You would fall in after PT air drivers and before FT package car drivers.

12. hondo

hondo promoted to mediocrity

@Arch , it's unlikely you would be able to work Saturday Air driving because of the seniority order. See Article 40, and/or ask a steward or business agent what the local practice is. Also, depending on your regular shift hours, would you be in compliance with DOT hours of Service (10 hours off)?

13. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

I have worked different jobs as a clerk FT combo in hub and preload, etc. It's an okay gig. "D-CAP" And as a 22.3 FT inside/inside, you won't be driving. Your DOT card will be allowed to expire.

14. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

It really comes down to district and not local management for OT policies. The center manager just does what he/she is told. At least that is what I heard.

15. FrigidFTSup

You are correct.

16. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

@Arch And next time, please wait more than 13 minutes before bugging that someone hasn't answered your question.

@rod maybe you have yourself on ignore and get see your own responses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  17. cosmo1

Probably. One of the several center manager's we had didn't like my OT. The others didn't care. I got sent out a lot in the morning for air and to help drivers.

And, at peak, all the rules go out the window.

18. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

Lol the drivers must not have gotten that memo

19. FrigidFTSup

It's a bizarre thing with 22.3's and PTers. We can give a driver 4 hours of OT, sure, but nobody else. Like wut....

20. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

Does your local allow you to bid on jobs that are available in other buildings?