What does fed ex "buying there route" mean anyways?

STFXG

I think I saw a fedex ground route for sale a while back. A friend was telling me about it and was considering it. I thought he said it was $80,000 to buy the route but I could be wrong. He aslo said the ad made it seem you would make around $80,000 a year. Now I believe that when you buy a route you are buying the truck and all that as well. But you also have to pay for all your gas and truck maintenace. Plus I do not believe you are entitled to any paid vacation. The drivers are also paid by the piece so the more work they do they more they make. In theory they could make a lot of money but after paying for your truck, no vacation and all that It doesnt sound very good. One of the fedex ground guys I see alot has complained for years to me. He actually just quit a couple months ago.
80k for a route that profits 80k? Hire a driver, pay 40k in employment costs, investment is paid for in 2 years. Sound bad?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Do Fed Ground & Home delivery drivers load their own trucks? What about FedEx? I can't imagine working PT loading, unloading, or sorting for any of them. Probably make $3.85 an hour. & safety measures? Fuggitaboutit. Never turn off their trucks. Rarely close their bulkhead doors. Do know a couple of them from my pre UPS days doing dock work. Good dudes, but boy do they take it up the wazoo! Time to unionize!
I received a delivery from FedEx Home yesterday. He parked on the wrong side of the street and left his truck running. Half of front bumper hanging loose and nearly scraping the road.
He gave my dog a treat and didn't pee on my house, so all was good.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I think I saw a fedex ground route for sale a while back. A friend was telling me about it and was considering it. I thought he said it was $80,000 to buy the route but I could be wrong. He aslo said the ad made it seem you would make around $80,000 a year. Now I believe that when you buy a route you are buying the truck and all that as well. But you also have to pay for all your gas and truck maintenace. Plus I do not believe you are entitled to any paid vacation. The drivers are also paid by the piece so the more work they do they more they make. In theory they could make a lot of money but after paying for your truck, no vacation and all that It doesnt sound very good. One of the fedex ground guys I see alot has complained for years to me. He actually just quit a couple months ago.
Nope, around here a truck doesnt come with the route. They buy their own here and some just lease trucks and slap a magnet on the side. I cant remember if they said the truck is loaded for them or not, but the ground guys who work for the guys who buy the routes are salary here so if they work 12 hours they get no additional pay. The operator who owns the route is paid based on volume but the drivers are not.

some1else

Banned
Nope. Nothing like ups. Drivers are hired off the street. It's somewhere between pizza delivery and being a package car driver but paying less than both. Not a sweet deal.
That is funny!!! New fedex ground giy on my area been about 2 months said he is quiting becuase he made more money delivering pizza and is going back to that!!! Hahaha

some1else

Banned
80k for a route that profits 80k? Hire a driver, pay 40k in employment costs, investment is paid for in 2 years. Sound bad?
If you can figure out a way to get someone with a truck, maintnance, commercial vehicle insurance, uniforms, scanner, gas, and more to run a route for 40k (aka 150$ a day). then you have to pay for loss and damages which can be susbtansial.

Id imagine like most unless you run the route yourself and get lucky you probably will barely break even

laffter

The FedEx Ground guy who delivers to the mall I driver helped at is (according to him) salaried. It doesn't matter what his volume looks like that day, he's paid the same amount regardless of hours worked.

Purplepackage

Ground and home delivery most of the time are salaried or paid by the piece. Pretty sure I've heard they load their own trucks basically for free because well they are paid by amount of pieces delivered.

Those guys are basically paid peanuts to do the same type of work as you UPS guys.

I load and sort my own truck at express but I get paid to do that and let's be honest over 75% of the stuff I deliver is paper and tiny boxes that weigh less than 20 pounds

STFXG

If you can figure out a way to get someone with a truck, maintnance, commercial vehicle insurance, uniforms, scanner, gas, and more to run a route for 40k (aka 150$ a day). then you have to pay for loss and damages which can be susbtansial.

Id imagine like most unless you run the route yourself and get lucky you probably will barely break even
Most ground routes gross 100-120k per year. If his net is 80k (very realistic number for a owner without a driver) then he could profit 40k with hiring a driver. Or he could run it himself and earn 80k.

And ground does not load their own trucks. HD does.

S

selfcancelsignal

Most ground routes gross 100-120k per year. If his net is 80k (very realistic number for a owner without a driver) then he could profit 40k with hiring a driver. Or he could run it himself and earn 80k.

And ground does not load their own trucks. HD does.
Still curious what sorters look like/make for Fed Ground.? Still guessing about $3.85 an hour. Have never come across one... That's admitted it, at least.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

The drivers are also paid by the piece so the more work they do they more they make.
This is a problem from a shipper stand point. I used to work for a company that shipped FedEx, we shipped quite a bit. We had a set Express pickup everyday since most of it was Next Day. But we would only send ground out 3 or so times a week. Trying to get the ground guy to come and pickup was like asking for his first born. Unless you had 50 pieces he had no interest in coming. It was really frustrating. We eventually just said screw it and would send it 3 day with express.
Still curious what sorters look like/make for Fed Ground.? Still guessing about $3.85 an hour. Have never come across one... That's admitted it, at least.
I just had a guy whose last day was yesterday leave for Ground. He said he's making 12.50 an hour sorting at FedEx. Shame, he was a great employee.

MAKAVELI

This is a problem from a shipper stand point. I used to work for a company that shipped FedEx, we shipped quite a bit. We had a set Express pickup everyday since most of it was Next Day. But we would only send ground out 3 or so times a week. Trying to get the ground guy to come and pickup was like asking for his first born. Unless you had 50 pieces he had no interest in coming. It was really frustrating. We eventually just said screw it and would send it 3 day with express.

I just had a guy whose last day was yesterday leave for Ground. He said he's making 12.50 an hour sorting at FedEx. Shame, he was a great employee.
Don't know about ground handlers, but at Express they have not been given a raise the past two years. A damn shame, considering this is a multi billion dollar company and the handlers are the lowest paid employee group.

STFXG

Handlers make around 10-12 an hour with benefits at my Ground building. Preload makes a bit more than outbound.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Recently saw a FedEx Ground guy delivering a handtruck load of paper/office supplies to a church on my route. He had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and just before opening the door he flicked the butt onto the ground. He exhaled smoke into the church when he opened the door. He had a scruffy beard, and he was wearing shorts with white socks and blown-out tennis shoes. Engine of the truck was still running, bulkhead door was open. A real class act. I think that once the truck and everything is paid for, they make about $13 an hour.

Geo926

Lol sober one day I delivered to a doctors office right behind a fed ex guy. This clown was wearing a white t shirt, jean shorts(didn't know they still existed), and sneakers. I couldn't help but laugh at the idiot. Very professional!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I worked for fed ex ground loading feeders for two years. Started at $9.50, $10.50 after 2 years, top out was $11.87 then. Health insurance was $90 a month with a $1500 deductible if I remember correctly.

Started at $8.50 at UPS, was at $11.20 at 2 years.... plus full health, dental, and vision with no premiums or deductibles. Not to mention I'm getting some time behind the wheel now, and will probably be full time making real money by 2017.

One day I was on my way to work at fed ex ground, turned around, went back home, and never went back. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.

UPSGUY72

Fedex Ground operators purchase their delivery areas, then often contract them out to subcontractors. I know a couple who owns 6 route areas and have multiple trucks and employees.

That is the only way they can make any money is to own more than one route. Other wise after they pay for there overhead they make crap. Most of those Fed Ex ground drivers are making less than a third of what a FT UPS driver make.

chris9834

Interesting so you cant move up in the hub? Or do people that "own" the routes just pay high senority hub employees to drive for them?
No the hub workers either stay hub workers or they get promoted into management...in order to drive at ground you have to have a yr experience driving a box van or bulk van, because ground does not have a driver program.