What does fed ex "buying there route" mean anyways?

chris9834

I never want to work there. However i hear their drivers "buy" their route. I also see them parked at the personal home a lot more. Whenever i see a UPS driver parked at his home i assume because his house is on his route. But when i see a fed ex driver parked at his home. I assume he leaves it there overnight?

I assume you need senority to get a route there too but what is this "buying a route" thing? Was always curious.
Fed ex home delivery can take there trucks home if they wish because in the morning they have to scan and load there own trucks. Fed ex ground drivers leave there cars at the bldg like we do they have a simular set up as we do as far as having a preload that starts loading the cars at 3 or 4 in the am.

chris9834

Do Fed Ground & Home delivery drivers load their own trucks? What about FedEx? I can't imagine working PT loading, unloading, or sorting for any of them. Probably make $3.85 an hour. & safety measures? Fuggitaboutit. Never turn off their trucks. Rarely close their bulkhead doors. Do know a couple of them from my pre UPS days doing dock work. Good dudes, but boy do they take it up the wazoo! Time to unionize!
Home delivery which are contract drivers do scan packages to there car and also load it themselves, thats why u will see a hm delivery truck parked in a drive way of there houses because they dont do pick ups. Express which is company from what ive been told they have to load there cars as well. Ground which I worked at for 4 years both as a contractor and driver of a contractor they are very similar to us they have a pre load that loads their cars in a.m. and off loads at night. As far as ground warehouse goes they make more starting out in hub then our hub workers start out at but they top out at 16 or 18 which our hub workers surpass in hub pay. And they either go into mgmt or stay hub workers because they cant drive for ground unless they have prior driving exp driving a box van or something.

chris9834

Ill give a 411 on a day as a ground driver beings ive been there and got the shirt before going brown. You have to have prior driving exp driving a box truck 1 yr minium. You are supected to perform common sense safety protocol wearing seat belts, keeping bulk head door shut at all times unless in back. But the safety protocols are never followed you can wave at the terminal mgr as your rolling off the yard with no seat belt on and bulkhead door open honestly ive been put in some where the bulk head door won't shut bc of frame damage lol. As far as mgmt goes they dont bother you as long as you dont kill anyone or have a ton of missed packages. You can even roll a couple packages and not hear a thing. Its definitely alot more laid back because there is no telematics no number systems, you run your route how you please you start whenever you want as long as you dont kill service too bad. There biggest pet peeve would be p/us depending on the company u can have the minimum window of a hr to 3 hrs to p/u in, there is no 15 before or after. But if you are a minute outside your window they take away money from the contractor settlement. Drivers make salary no benes no retirement average salary is 600-800 wkly. Contractor wise they make 1.25 a stop and .25 a pkg if pkg count goes over a 1000 it goes down to .13 cents then it goes down again after a certain cap, so if you have multiple drivers thats not hard to exceed. They get usually a .30 fuel discount. Routes vary in price from 40k-100k if its a bulk van route being the higher cost. You either buy your truck with route or you have to buy your own. Just for a idea a p-1200 which is the biggest pkg car that will cost you 50k-60k and you better have damn good business credit if not your going to get hosed you will end up paying double for the truck under a lease. Any questions just ask.

UPSGUY72

Ill give a 411 on a day as a ground driver beings ive been there and got the shirt before going brown. You have to have prior driving exp driving a box truck 1 yr minium. You are supected to perform common sense safety protocol wearing seat belts, keeping bulk head door shut at all times unless in back. But the safety protocols are never followed you can wave at the terminal mgr as your rolling off the yard with no seat belt on and bulkhead door open honestly ive been put in some where the bulk head door won't shut bc of frame damage lol. As far as mgmt goes they dont bother you as long as you dont kill anyone or have a ton of missed packages. You can even roll a couple packages and not hear a thing. Its definitely alot more laid back because there is no telematics no number systems, you run your route how you please you start whenever you want as long as you dont kill service too bad. There biggest pet peeve would be p/us depending on the company u can have the minimum window of a hr to 3 hrs to p/u in, there is no 15 before or after. But if you are a minute outside your window they take away money from the contractor settlement. Drivers make salary no benes no retirement average salary is 600-800 wkly. Contractor wise they make 1.25 a stop and .25 a pkg if pkg count goes over a 1000 it goes down to .13 cents then it goes down again after a certain cap, so if you have multiple drivers thats not hard to exceed. They get usually a .30 fuel discount. Routes vary in price from 40k-100k if its a bulk van route being the higher cost. You either buy your truck with route or you have to buy your own. Just for a idea a p-1200 which is the biggest pkg car that will cost you 50k-60k and you better have damn good business credit if not your going to get hosed you will end up paying double for the truck under a lease. Any questions just ask.

I call BS on the 1 yr experience driving a box truck as Fed ex ground person. Most of these people are working for a person that owns a couple of routes and aren't even getting paid by Fed Ex they are getting paid be the person that owns the route. That are also make are 1/3 of what a UPS driver makes where the hell you going to find someone with 1 yr experience driving a box truck that's going work for $10 to $11 hr that is reliable.

STFXG

I call BS on the 1 yr experience driving a box truck as Fed ex ground person. Most of these people are working for a person that owns a couple of routes and aren't even getting paid by Fed Ex they are getting paid be the person that owns the route. That are also make are 1/3 of what a UPS driver makes where the hell you going to find someone with 1 yr experience driving a box truck that's going work for $10 to $11 hr that is reliable.
That was the requirement for years. It has since changed to 1 year of on the job driving in any vehicle. Pizza guys can now apply.

chris9834

Why you call bs, I dont got any reason to lie I worked there for 4 yrs I worked for a vending company prior to going to Ground they called and verified with my at the time current job about my driving exp that is a fact, if it wasnt I wouldnt have stated so. Theres alot of people that work for other companies like staples that are also contract that make extremely crappy salary worst then ground, or people that worked for DHL. The reason they want a yr experience is because they dont have a driver training school like we do so my guess its a legality escape route for Fed Ex to escape a legal suit if someone kills a family of 5. Now do some lie an put their yr exp and manage to slip through the crack im not saying its impossible but in my current situation I was legit. All of the different drivers in the hub that i was at made what I said wkly...now if you know anyone that makes that kind of money then they need to piss in a cup, because I would absolutely not do this line of work for 10 or 11 a hr the only person that comes to mind that I remember was a guy that was paying his drivers 550 a wk but he had to bump up his pay because people were bouncing to higher paying contractors. I may not have add that detail into my original post but yes you are correct drivers of the contractor do recieve pay from the contractors payroll. The only person that recieves a fed ex check is the contractors, it is a route settlement check. I will say that I am grateful that I was able to swing a ft job and manage to do hub work for a year so I could be a man in brown. But I will say when I 1st started driving for a contractor my checks were literally half what I make now as a TCD driver which is considerably a big difference in pay lol.

Goldilocks

Recently saw a FedEx Ground guy delivering a handtruck load of paper/office supplies to a church on my route. He had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and just before opening the door he flicked the butt onto the ground. He exhaled smoke into the church when he opened the door. He had a scruffy beard, and he was wearing shorts with white socks and blown-out tennis shoes. Engine of the truck was still running, bulkhead door was open. A real class act. I think that once the truck and everything is paid for, they make about $13 an hour.

LOL, I pulled up next to a Ground Driver at a red light and he had his finger so far up his nose. I think he was picking his brain.....

S

selfcancelsignal

Why would you be "guessing about $3.85 an hour"? Do you think Fedex is exempt from minimum wage?
I was being a smart :censored2:. Was just comparing the sorters to the drivers (top) pay for each company. Sounds like it's a lot better than I assumed at Fed Ground. As a sorter, that is.

It will be fine

Wow, all sorts of bad info in this thread. Most drivers at Ground can't afford the 4 years of pt work at brown before getting a chance to drive. They need steady money now. You guys talk like all ups drivers make top pay, from what I understand it takes about 8 years to get there. So I wouldn't cry too hard for the guys working for Ground making $16-20 hr for that entire time.
About half my guys are salary. A true annual salary, short weeks, same pay, sick for a day or two, same pay, vacation, same pay. It's not bad. The other half get paid by stop and piece and make substantially more but it varies quite a bit week to week.
In my area just about all the drivers are making more than industry average. Typically $50-60k a year for about 50 hour weeks.
They also deal with much less BS. I have drivers I don't even see for weeks at a time. They show up, do their job and go home never having to deal with a manager. It's not bad.

some1else

Banned
W
Wow, all sorts of bad info in this thread. Most drivers at Ground can't afford the 4 years of pt work at brown before getting a chance to drive. They need steady money now. You guys talk like all ups drivers make top pay, from what I understand it takes about 8 years to get there. So

Different areas are different. Here about half the reg temp (seasonal) end up full timethe following year. Reg temp is 22, full time is 18 or so, after 4 years they are top rate. So over 25 year they are right around 2mil plus pension and bennies vs 1.2 million no pension no bennies. Id rather put up with some harrasment at brown and have a union and make 3x as much (include bennie and pension) than work for you

MAKAVELI

W

Different areas are different. Here about half the reg temp (seasonal) end up full timethe following year. Reg temp is 22, full time is 18 or so, after 4 years they are top rate. So over 25 year they are right around 2mil plus pension and bennies vs 1.2 million no pension no bennies. Id rather put up with some harrasment at brown and have a union and make 3x as much (include bennie and pension) than work for you
Pay no attention to this clown. In another thread he claimed his drivers were clearing $80k. Most of the Ground drivers I come across would jump at the chance to drive for UPS. We even get quite a few that try to jump over to Express.

Purplepackage

How well you get paid at ground varies greatly between contractors and how much work is in your area. Where I live I barely ever see the same ground drivers for more than a year or so

Purplepackage

If I worked at ground and planned to make it a career I would easily try to switch to ups, like everyone said its the same work but a world of difference with benefits

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Wow, all sorts of bad info in this thread. Most drivers at Ground can't afford the 4 years of pt work at brown before getting a chance to drive. They need steady money now. You guys talk like all ups drivers make top pay, from what I understand it takes about 8 years to get there. So I wouldn't cry too hard for the guys working for Ground making $16-20 hr for that entire time.
About half my guys are salary. A true annual salary, short weeks, same pay, sick for a day or two, same pay, vacation, same pay. It's not bad. The other half get paid by stop and piece and make substantially more but it varies quite a bit week to week.
In my area just about all the drivers are making more than industry average. Typically $50-60k a year for about 50 hour weeks.
They also deal with much less BS. I have drivers I don't even see for weeks at a time. They show up, do their job and go home never having to deal with a manager. It's not bad.

What sort of appearance and safety standards do you hold your employees to?

In my area the Express drivers are usually top-notch, but the Ground drivers literally look like hobos and drive like lunatics. BH door open all day, engine left running at each stop, vehicle unsecured etc etc. At UPS we would get fired for that.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
....comes the sudden realization that I am an elitist pig, and my age is showing as well! Sentence structure, punctuation, capitalization, coherence....who is educating some of these posters? If communication is the lifeblood of this company, that alone dooms it. I will now step down from my soapbox.sigh:weird:

It will be fine

W

If you plan on it as a career, I agree with you. That's not the job I offer. Ground is entry level where you should move on after a few years tops.
@stops, yes 4 of my guys cleared $80k again this year. Sorry that makes you so upset.
As far as safety and appearance, I haven't had an at fault accident in about 4 years. Most of my guys are clean cut, you wouldn't know what opco they drive for. A couple are a little suspect, but I think upsers are just mad we can wear beards.