What does fed ex "buying there route" mean anyways?

chris9834

What sort of appearance and safety standards do you hold your employees to?

In my area the Express drivers are usually top-notch, but the Ground drivers literally look like hobos and drive like lunatics. BH door open all day, engine left running at each stop, vehicle unsecured etc etc. At UPS we would get fired for that.
Lol on the appearance thing man there aint a standard you can hav a tattoo on your forhead lol and still have a job at ground. There might be a few contractors that are former military that make there drivers keep there uniforms to a certain standard. But then you have many that are cheap and dont want to get there drivers new uniforms and they start looking real beat up after a year. I had one I had to offer to go halfs on the uniforms to get him to give me new uniforms. Safety wise like I said before its a joke. Security wise in the area I worked in they had 1 security guy and he was regional for all of Fed Ex and very rarely I would hear about him popping up on some drivers and he would be in the back of there cars if the bulkhead was left open when they go in on a stop and wait for them to return but nothing ever happend to the drivers.

chris9834

How well you get paid at ground varies greatly between contractors and how much work is in your area. Where I live I barely ever see the same ground drivers for more than a year or so
If I worked at ground and planned to make it a career I would easily try to switch to ups, like everyone said its the same work but a world of difference with benefits
Thats what I did I went brown it took me 4 years to pull my head out of my ass but I toughed out a year in the hub and started driving for brown. Imo if you work at ground its not bad if you are allready retired and got a good pension and are looking for something to do in your spare time, or you are inbetween jobs and need to get by in the mean time until you find something else then its ok. But I wouldnt recommend staying there for 30 yrs. Because in the end all you will have to look forward to is social security if its still there or you dont have to reach the age of 100 to collect it.

TeamLift

Please wait while I spit in your chicken sir. :)
Ground does not load their own trucks, package handlers do, the inside of the truck is divided into zones and so they put all the packages going to the same area in that zone.

Home delivery does load their own trucks and so is they more hours in the morning than ground. Ground simply comes in at 8.00 or so and cranks up the truck and leaves, home delivery is their by 6.00 and loads until 8.00 or until the belt shuts off.
Do Fed Ground & Home delivery drivers load their own trucks? What about FedEx? I can't imagine working PT loading, unloading, or sorting for any of them. Probably make $3.85 an hour. & safety measures? Fuggitaboutit. Never turn off their trucks. Rarely close their bulkhead doors. Do know a couple of them from my pre UPS days doing dock work. Good dudes, but boy do they take it up the wazoo! Time to unionize!

TeamLift

Fedex Ground operators purchase their delivery areas, then often contract them out to subcontractors. I know a couple who owns 6 route areas and have multiple trucks and employees.

Routes at my hub go for 100,000, none are worth that much but supply and demand dictates price, my contractor told me if you buy one for 100,000 it could be 5 or 6 years before you see any profit at all. For that much money you get a route that is about 120 miles per day, 110 stops and a wore out 10 year old P 700 that only cost the owner 5000 dollars. So after paying a driver to run the route and major upcoming repair bills on that piece of crap truck, there will be no profit at all for a long time. And just to think, we have a guy who hasn't been doing this job 6 months yet, and he wants to buy not one, not two, but three routes just like the one above.

TeamLift

Lol sober one day I delivered to a doctors office right behind a fed ex guy. This clown was wearing a white t shirt, jean shorts(didn't know they still existed), and sneakers. I couldn't help but laugh at the idiot. Very professional!

It is a disgrace to work for FedEx, true there is no uniform policy anymore, guys at my hub wear sweatpants with a wife beater tee shirt and not one article of clothing that says FedEx on it. Scruffy beards, uncombed hair, no bath, hell, I have seen homeless people look better dressed, maybe I should look for the cardboard sign in the truck.